Wine headache

Options
When I have enough calories left over, I like to have a glass of wine at night to help unwind. I am not sure if it has been the culprit for other mornings (most likely though) but I had a headache when I woke up this morning and I assume it's from the wine. Any idea how to avoid this, I don't want to give up the wine, but waking up with a headache is pretty crappy.

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Is it Red or white wine?

The tannins in red wine can cause headaches. Some people are sensitive to it and it can develop over time. I don't know much about it. Just remember hearing it at a wine seminar.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    2 things you should be doing, drinking more water, and making sure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals from food. If you're taking suppliments to make up a deficiency, know that suppliments don't absorb as well as micronutrients taken in with food.

I don't know if you already do these things, but when I load up on the water and make sure I have all my micro's taken care of, I very rarely have a hangover.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Im a wine person big time and i have learned my lesson with having a headache that wont' go away after a night of having a glass or two... Wine dehydrates you so I've learned to have a big glass of water right before bed to make sure my body has enough fluids ... You'll notice Red wine is the worse when it comes to drying you out after drinking it..
  • jensocalgirl
    Options
    Drink a glass or two of water after your wine. You're only getting the headache because you're dehydrated or it might be the type of wine you're drinking. White wine tends to have a lot of sugar which could do it to you also. Or, if you don't mind taking some Tylenol, pop two with a glass of water before bed and you'll be fine.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Water, Water, Water baby! :drinker:

I used to get red vino headaches too.
    Ahem..... slugged down quite a bit this past holiday weekend!
    Zero probs the next day thankyouverymucho! :laugh:

Make sure to stay hydrated (in general),
    drink extra water for wine consumption.

Beef up on B Vitamins too...... :flowerforyou:
  • dcomi
    dcomi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    some wines contain sulfites which can cause headaches in some. Drinking water with wine would help also.
  • VegasBaby
    VegasBaby Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yep. Gotta hydrate. Drink a big glass of water before going to bed...and enjoy!
  • angie_croce
    Options
    Like everyone has said, try to drink some water to rehydrate after drinking wine. I just went to a wine tasting two weeks ago. We asked why it causes headaches. The guy said that yes, wine dehydrates you. He also said that most wines bought from the store (even specialty stores) contain so many preservatives to give them that million year shelf life that those preservatives could be causing headaches as well. Lots of water!
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There are organic wines on the market that contain little to no sulfites. Im not sure what they taste like but it might be worth looking into. :drinker:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll double up on the water! I am sure I won't like the midnight trip to the bathroom, but it's better than having to be in pain and popping exedrine migraine each morning (it's the only thing that will touch a morning headache).