How cal I tell calories burned walking?

Options
For the summer, I'm staying home with my little one Mon/Wed/Fri and am going to take her on afternoon walks (so she'll nap and so I can burn some calories!)

I measured the distance from my house to the corner with the odometer in my car, but if we're on a trail or at the mall, how can I tell how many calories I'm burning?

I don't have a pedometer, but will buy one if there is some equation to use to tell me calories burned. Please help :)

Replies

• sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    How *CAN I tell. Stupid typo.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    just enter into walking on here and the time you walked and choose the level you think you have walked at. It does the calculation for you based on time not distance.
  • sarah2954
    Options
    Like slow walking, moderate, or fast?
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    two ways:
    1. pedomoter. I bought mine for about 5 bucks, it tells me amount of steps ive taken, distance walked and calories burned.
    2. time your walk!.. time it from when you leave the door until you get back to your door. put that time into MFP under whatever speed you walked. (ie. 2.0mph slow pace or 3.0mph walking dog) and it will automatically tell you calories burned based off your height and weight.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    if you have a smartphone there is a great app called runkeeper. It logs distance, elevation etc and gives you a calorie burn at the end. Or you can just log it via here using the intensity you walked at
  • JG_FromMN
    JG_FromMN Posts: 15
    Options
    I use Noom app I use it on my phone(Android). Been using it since I started.
  • mellie2603
    mellie2603 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try to walk on my lunch breaks at work at least 3 times a week and I use an app on my phone called Endomondo. Tracks the distance and average speed and will show you a map of your route. I just use the average speed and the time I walked to log it to my diary. Works great and I've even gotten some of my friends to use it!
  • emshair
    emshair Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try to walk on my lunch breaks at work at least 3 times a week and I use an app on my phone called Endomondo. Tracks the distance and average speed and will show you a map of your route. I just use the average speed and the time I walked to log it to my diary. Works great and I've even gotten some of my friends to use it!

Thanks for this, I've been looking for something like this that will work with my phone :)
  • Nawee79
    Nawee79 Posts: 3
    Options
    Grab some 3-5 lbs weights and do Bicep Curls, Shoulder Shugs, Shoulder Raises and Tricep.
  • sarah2954
    Options
    I'll check out some of these apps, thanks!

I can't really walk with weights, I'll be pushing a stroller :)