Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Kettlebell Workout- Does it really work?

BIGJIMMYU
BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
In the summer I take a lot of time off from work and stay at my waterfront trailer. I have dvd access there. My point is, I cannot get to the gym a lot while there. I am interested in Kettleworx or some other form of Kettlebell workout. Please answer the following if u have experience.
1) I hear Kettlebells are good for a full body toning which I would be interested in. True?
2) Though the dvd's are cut and paste which doesn't bother me, I hear Kettleworx is a decent program. True?
3) Will the Kettlebell workouts tone places I may be forgetting/ignoring at the gym?
4) I lift 2-3 times heavy at the gym per week. I am 5'11" and weigh currently 197lbs. Any suggestions as to which bell weight to start with?
5) Do you recommend kettlebell workouts? Have they worked for you?

Thank you for any and all answers to these questions. I used the search feature but couldn't get any satisfaction from what was there. I sure appreciate it everyone! Running and swimming at the waterfront take care of my cardio pretty good.

Replies

• BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Bump. I'm considering getting a kettle-bell, too. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    just got one and I am following workout found on internet but too soon to say if it works yet? I do not do any other type of weight training so it should have some impact!
  • k_sharp
    k_sharp Posts: 100 Member
    I use kettle bells a lot with my trainer and I really enjoy it! Although make sure you have proper form when using them because you can hurt your back! It took me a while to get my form right before she would even let me use them but I always feel like I've gotten a great workout when using them. Sorry not much help but I like them...
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    In the summer I take a lot of time off from work and stay at my waterfront trailer. I have dvd access there. My point is, I cannot get to the gym a lot while there. I am interested in Kettleworx or some other form of Kettlebell workout. Please answer the following if u have experience.
    1) I hear Kettlebells are good for a full body toning which I would be interested in. True?
    2) Though the dvd's are cut and paste which doesn't bother me, I hear Kettleworx is a decent program. True?
    3) Will the Kettlebell workouts tone places I may be forgetting/ignoring at the gym?
    4) I lift 2-3 times heavy at the gym per week. I am 5'11" and weigh currently 197lbs. Any suggestions as to which bell weight to start with?

Thank you for any and all answers to these questions. I used the search feature but couldn't get any satisfaction from what was there. I sure appreciate it everyone! Running and swimming at the waterfront take care of my cardio pretty good.

I love working out with the kettlebell! I workout with a trainer and the majority of our workouts are with the kettelebell. My trainer is the owner of CT Kettlebell. I have them at home as well and use them. I swing the 50lb 100x every morning. To answer your questions.

1. Definitely true! You can work every single muscle with the kettelebell!
    2. Never heard of it.
    3. Yes!!!!
    4. sorry can't help you with this one.
    5. Yes and yes!

I can't tell you how much I LOVE working out with them. Even swinging works out your legs, stomach and arms all in one swing!

Feel free to add me. My trainer gives us a challenge every month and this challenge is to swing 5,000 for the month. :devil: LOL

Let me know if you have any other questions. I can always ask my trainer.

Sheila
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Over the last 2 years I have incorporated kettlebells at home in addition to my gym workouts. I don't follow any specific commercial routine but I love doing one handed snatches and two handed swings. I am 6' 3" and 210 lbs and I started with 3 bells: 15, 25 and 35 lbs. Once I could do a one handed snatch 25 reps I increased my weight. Right now I'm doing 65 lbs for 20 or so reps once a week or so. I've also tried the 50 foot thick rope thing (whatever it's called) and a sledge hammer on an old truck tire. I'm sure that with those things and some bells you could get by for a while without going to the gym.
  • I'm taking a full weekend Kettlebell course on May 12th coz I'm also interested in at least learning about Kettlebells, so I'll chime in again once I've got something really constructive to say about them!

So far I've only really soon a lot of people who use them doing dangerous looking movements in the gym, but I'm sure you can get a good workout with them if you actually know what you are doing :)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    Getting some good info here. Keep it coming and thanks again!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member

1. Yes, KettleBells are great for full body toneing and Cardio

2. I have the KettleWorx DVD's; I was introduced to KettleBells years ago and had them incorporated into my program before the DVD's were on the market. My wife bought them for me and they are great I moved through them but work-ot to my own program. My wife is doing her second round of the 6 week challenge and yes I feel a difference in her muscel tone.

3 KettleBells incorporate every muscel of your body {use proper form} and muscel you forgot you had.

4. Yhea that is a hard question to answer IMO; some people are able to start at 30lbs some people start at 10lbs. I would suggest going to a store and just looking at them. I use a various sizes for different exercises.

5. See answer two. If you want to dip your toe in the water do some YouTube videos before putting the cash out.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    I just bought one, and I have been finding some videos and doing a few moves. I gor 15# and I wish I went heavier. I'll be loking for a heavier one soon. For somethings it is easy, some it is still challenging.

For reference: I use 8# for shoulder work, 10-15# for biceps, chest, etc. Last time I dead lifted I did 80# for 3 sets of 15, but I haven't done it for a while.

Oh and to find a cheaper kettlebell, go to Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls ;)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    I just bought one, and I have been finding some videos and doing a few moves. I gor 15# and I wish I went heavier. I'll be loking for a heavier one soon. For somethings it is easy, some it is still challenging.

For reference: I use 8# for shoulder work, 10-15# for biceps, chest, etc. Last time I dead lifted I did 80# for 3 sets of 15, but I haven't done it for a while.

Oh and to find a cheaper kettlebell, go to Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls ;)
    Bump- er pool!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,888 Member
    I use kettlebells with clients and for some it does some getting used to (forearms take a beating especially using more ballistic movements), but overall it's a great supplementation to any strength program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    I use Bob Harper inside out method kettlebell sculpted body dvd and love it
    defently works the entire body and I can feel it for a day or two after a good kettlebell workout

I`m 5foot 5inch 170pound woman and lift heavy at the gym but with the Kettlebell I`m still useing the 5pound bell for now as I find some the moves to hard yet to up the weight

I currently have a 5pound , 8pound and 10pound but only able to use the 5 with good form currently

Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels both have a few kettlebell workout dvds out and I am planning to get those first since both of them make there programs around 10.00 each new and are very motivating to work with and add in cardio with the bell
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    I Love kettlebells and have them at home aswell as using them in the gym.

I'm 5'6" and 90kg, I swing a 16kg but if doing press etc... I use up to a 12kg, I also use my HIIT timer to get a good high intensity even workout.

They are a great all over workout, but as mentioned before you need to get the technique right or you hurt your back
  • BIGJIMMYU
    Need more.Bump
  • BIGJIMMYU
    bump-er crop.