MFP Success...How did you do it?

Options
Hi!

I am new to this site and I am just wondering for those of you that have been successful, did you follow MFP exactly? (i.e. did you eat back all of your exercie calories-like it instructs you too?)

Also, I am curious if people that were successful kept within the fat/cal/carb/protien range that is suggested?

I hope this makes sense, I am just curious if I need to make any tweaks to succeed~!

Thanks!

Jenny

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The Protein amount is on the low side and should be viewed as a minimum amount, Fibre is a minimum as well. The Fat and Carbs are maximum amounts you should be getting. Hope this helps.
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    I don't like to really exercise....especially since I am on crutches so I can't give you advice on that but I can on everything else.

I changed my diet using the diary to a low-fat, low-cal diet. I eat as close to the numbers provided by MFP as possible and have had great results.

It helps to plan your meals out a week at a time so you can stick with it and not over eat
  • VegasBaby
    VegasBaby Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your help :). How do I change my diary to "low fat/low cal?"
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have tried to log all my food and all my exercise since joining this site a year ago. I would say it has helped a lot. The only times I didn't was when I was on vacation with no computer. I try to eat within 100 calories of what MFP gives me. This includes the exercise calories. I don't want to break even at the end of the day just in case I underestimated something I ate.

Hope this helps.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I busted my butt, lol. Lots of exercise, and trying my best to eat right. I hated exercise too, and I still sort of do. However the benefits are too big to ignore.

Honestly, I've never been really strict about things on MFP beyond the nutritionals and even those I don't keep the best record of. If I'm hungry after I work out a lot, then I eat my exercise calories. If I'm not hungry at all, then I don't worry about it. When I started I was super strict, now I kind of just go with the flow. It makes it easier to keep going when you're not constantly living by checklists. However to get started, I'd be as strict as you can handle without driving yourself nuts. It helps a lot.
  • VegasBaby
    Options
    I busted my butt, lol. Lots of exercise, and trying my best to eat right. I hated exercise too, and I still sort of do. However the benefits are too big to ignore.

Honestly, I've never been really strict about things on MFP beyond the nutritionals and even those I don't keep the best record of. If I'm hungry after I work out a lot, then I eat my exercise calories. If I'm not hungry at all, then I don't worry about it. When I started I was super strict, now I kind of just go with the flow. It makes it easier to keep going when you're not constantly living by checklists. However to get started, I'd be as strict as you can handle without driving yourself nuts. It helps a lot.

Wow! You have done great! Congrats!
  • VegasBaby
    Options
    I have tried to log all my food and all my exercise since joining this site a year ago. I would say it has helped a lot. The only times I didn't was when I was on vacation with no computer. I try to eat within 100 calories of what MFP gives me. This includes the exercise calories. I don't want to break even at the end of the day just in case I underestimated something I ate.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that does make sense. Thank you for your input! :) and Congrats!
  • xeniasimms
    Options
    Yeah I stick with it pretty much and try to stay within my daily alotttment for everything except sugar. I also meet my exercise quota every week and try to drink at least 6 cups of water per day. I have been doing this since May 7th of this year and I have had a few weeks were I cheated and fell off and gained 2 -4 lbs back, but I just got back on track and kept going! You can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • mhayes13
    mhayes13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    First welcome – this is a great site with lots of encouraging people. Up to now I focused only on calories and working out consistently (pushing myself to do more every two weeks). Since I had plenty of fat to burn initially I avoided eating my exercise calories for the first month or so. After that I began to creep up my calorie intake and now eat just under my total (including exercise calories) each day. As you tone and loose fat you will need to make sure you eat your exercise calories or your body will go into starvation mode and stop burning calories. Beginning next month I am going to expand my workout to upper body weights (light weight, high reps) 3 days a week along with current cardio and pay more attention to my Carb and Sugar numbers as well as calories– trying to hit the number provided. As mentioned above, mapping meals the day before is a significant help as well. Key is to be honest in what you enter – doing otherwise only hurts you and your efforts. Also, find a friend or two on the site and communicate back and forth regularly (daily with them) to keep yourself on task. The extra accountability helps keep you motivated – amazing how you do not want let down someone you have never met. Good luck – stick with it and you will be successful.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I changed my nutrients slightly, lowering carbs and increasing protein. I use 40/30/30 now. I fiddled with my activity levels until I felt comfortable with it.

I eat most of my exercise calories.

I also track sugar and sodium, and my husband tracks sugar and cholesterol.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The number I worry most about is calories. If I get those right, I'm pretty forgiving on myself for the rest of it. I usually don't have a problem keeping my fat under, I like to hit my protein and carbs goals, and I keep an eye on sugar and sodium, but often go over on those two. As far as weight loss goes, calories have been the most important. The other numbers I will try to improve on as I go.

Exercise is HUGE. No matter what you read, or what anyone says- exercise plays a major, major role in getting the weight off. It also allows you to eat more, because I do indeed eat my exercise calories (if I'm hungry). If I go to bed with a lot of calories left at the end of the day, I'll be starving the next day, and eat them anyhow.

Remember, your body adapts to everything- the amount and type of exercise you do, the number of calories you're eating, so shaking things up is a good thing. It's ok to be a little over your calories one day, a little under the next- it all evens out in the end. If you have a calorie deficit at the end of the week, you're going to see weight loss. That being said, don't weigh yourself too often, because you can be up a good 5 pounds on any given day for various reasons.

I have a long way to go, but this has brought me success for the first 25 pounds. I lose 1-2 pounds / week, and I'm pretty content with that. :smile:

My best advice is to be NICE to yourself. Don't stress out too much if you overindulge once in a while, we all do it. Oh, and the less weight you have to lose, the slower it's going to come off. That's just how the body works, and there's no gettin' around it.
  • jojogirl
    Options
    When I added SUGAR and SODIUM to my dairy I found I did much better. I use this site religiously for maintenance and it helps when I watch these two...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!