Lower calorie replacements?

Options
What is your favorite item that is lower in calories and replaces a similar item that you used to eat?

Mine is Healthy Life whole wheat bread. 35 calories per slice vs. 130 for the old one.

Replies

• MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Great thread:)
  • Ash1983ley
    Ash1983ley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use applesauce in stuff when I am baking, rather than vegetable oil. Oh, and I haven't been lately but need to switch back to eggbeaters. Those are awesome. Splenda not sugar..etc
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I like to cut an apple into small bites and throw in a handful of mixed nuts for a snack. It is sweet and salty and the chewing is so satisfying when I have the irresistible urge to snack all day at work.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I just found out about walden farms on a similar thread and omg marshmallow fluff with no calories! I have chocolate peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwiches for my sweet urges :)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    definately applesauce for vegtable oil...i threw out the bad oil and will never buy any again! switched to olive oil for everything else.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches.
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I guess there is a number of things for me.

Instead of stuffed crust or deep pan pizza I now have thin crust pizza.
    Instead of Baked beans I have Kidney beans.
    Instead of sugar based cereals I have porridge.
    Replace chips with salad!

Just little things like that!
  • christinaleffmann
    Options
    I use Lilly's Non-Fat Sour Cream for substitutions for mayo and a lot of other stuff like to make dips (salsa and sour cream), or dressings (add vinegar, lemon, and some sugar and seasoning)
    I DO NOT use Splenda and chemical substitutes I don't trust them and keeping to the basics is always better for your body because it doesn't know how to process the things you can't pronounce.
    I use whipped butter or butter with olive oil and NOT "light butter" it has a bunch of crap in it and they both have around the same calories, cholesterol and fat.
    And adding veggies like spinach to everything to make servings of the "good stuff" larger.
    Spelt english muffins are a lot more filling than sourdough ones too and you get accustomed to the taste of real food value.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I tend not to use low cal replacements as they also tend to be ridiculously high in sodium, but everything has it's exception and for me, that's non-fat Kool Whip. I love it with yogurt and protein powder!
  • but1fly
    but1fly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PB2 an chocolatePB2 instead of peanut butter. 43 cals for 2 tbs instead of 190 and it's amazingly delicious!!!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I tend not to use low cal replacements as they also tend to be ridiculously high in sodium, but everything has it's exception and for me, that's non-fat Kool Whip. I love it with yogurt and protein powder!

Agree - Since I've had to cut sodium way down in my diet, by using natural products and staying away from processed, boxed and canned stuff I have no trouble staying good on calories - it forces you to pick mostly 'healthy' stuff.