figuring out a healthy weight

Options
I am currently at 172 pounds. When I was at 178, my doctor told me that I at least needed to lose 20 pounds to avoid becoming a diabetic. However, I want to lose more than that and not just avoid being diabetic, but actually being fit and healthy. I would like to go back to weighing 125-130 pounds, like I was back in my early high school year. I am 5" even and am semi active, going to the gym about 3 times a week. I would like to know if this is a healthy and realistic goal. any input would be appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• enissimon
    enissimon Posts: 12
    Options
    according to most data, you shoud be between 104 and 137, going from small frame to large frame, so I don't think you are being unrealistic. I too am trying to lose because of being pre-diabetic. I'm taking 1000mg of metformin now a day, but my doc sez if I lose about 30 lbs and get at least 45-60 min. of cardio exercis a day for at least 3 months, I should be able to get off meds. Don't give up! Diabetes is the last thing you want. A very good friend ignored all her doctors and ended up losing both of her legs. HANG IN THERE.
  • the_stephinator
    the_stephinator Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i don't think you are being unrealistic at all. I know that the charts say my ideal weight is 130lbs (I'm 5'6") and I think that's too skinny on my frame. For me, it's all about what I feel is realistic and healthy for me. I don't have diabetes nor am I pre-diabetic so I'm not familiar with those issues. I do have other health problems that my weight has a role in so I can empathize :) I think you have the right mind set and are going in the right direction. don't give up!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 55 years old. I weighed 135 in high school and would love to weigh that again. My doctor thinks I may not get there, but I went from over 300 lbs to 155 in 17 months. I was borderline diabetic and on blood pressure meds. After I lost 40 lbs I came off all meds.and now I exercise and eat proper. I have a weight of 145 as a set goal, but I will talk to my doctor when I get there and see what looks healthy for me. Good luck on your journey. It will be well worth the effort!
  • honeybee518
    honeybee518 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am trying harder than I have in the past so that I will be healthier and stay healthy. Diabetes really is no joke. I think I will try to make it my goal to be 135, and then go from there.