P90X for beginners

Options
2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I did not buy shakeology or the recovery drink. I also don't use protein powders/shakes but I might invest in some because I'm just really terrible about getting my protein in.

I bought a pull up bar on amazon for around $20... and I have 5, 8, 10 and 15 pound weights that I use for now.

Good luck! I'm in week 2 right now. I like it.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my last week on Monday. I didn't use Shakeology or any other Beachbody supplements. I did use whey protein for a while but I bought Optimum Nutrition brand from amazon.com. Then I ran out and never bought more.

I didn't lose any weight while doing P90X but I have noticed changes in my body.

After a little break after finishing this round I'm going to do a 2nd round but be more focused with my eating and make sure I have a larger deficit.

I did a few JM dvds before starting P90X. I feel like they were a good prep for P90X. And you can modify the exercises. I had never been able to do a pullup or chin up in my life before starting this and now I can do three sets of 5 chin ups at a time now and a few pullups (Yeah, I know that's not really amazing or anything but it is for me! :)
  • takirb
    takirb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tried it 2yrs ago. Made it a couple days into it, then had a fiasco one night. Me and the wife came home from the bar, I had been telling her she needed to try it out with me, etc, so we started a DVD. Can't quite remember which one, but she couldn't keep up. Me, being all manly and having had too many drinks, decided to show her up. While lunging, i caught an a** cramp. Never had one of those before in my life! I couldn't decide if i should sit, stand, prop up, or what! It's amazing how every little motion you do involves an a** muscle of some kind. Haven't played it since LOL

Obviously this is just for laughs, but it really did happen. I really do think it's a great workout, and will get you in some awesome shape if done correctly. I plan to come back to it once i'm a lil' more conditioned. I run 18+ miles/wk, and am starting to get some weightlifting into my routine. Once i'm a lil' more comfortable and not so achy, i plan to start again.
  • bllecroy
    bllecroy Posts: 31
    Options
    I am on week 7 of P90X. The only advice I have is to be patient, push play, and bring it. :) It's tough, but there are a ton of modifications. When I started, I had not worked out for over a year. I could barely walk the second day. It is so worth it.

MFP suggests I should eat 1,200 calories a day. I have been eating a maximum of 1,200 calories per day, which is not enough. I have gained a ton of muscle and toned up, but I have only lost 3 pounds. I have 6 more to go. I was really tired and drained. I am upping my calorie intake to 1,500 calories per day and drinking a protein shake every morning and after my workout every evening. Be sure to eat enough food to fuel your workout.

Good luck! The first day is the hardest. :)
  • bllecroy
    bllecroy Posts: 31
    Options
    The only thing you need to buy is ICY HOT!!!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Wow all these positive comments!! I'm expecting it to be tough, my trainer used to push me to the point where I'd almost vomit so I'm hoping I can push myself the same way.

I am useless on a pull up bar, my bf has one and all I can do is swing on it lol!!

Thanks for the comments I'm definitely going to give it a go :)
  • loriz713
    loriz713 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 8 and although it's tough, each day is a little different so you don't do the same workout everyday. Some of them are harder than others so you just modify and do your best. I can't do a pullup still but have been able to double my pushups from day one. I use either bands or pulldown bar on the weight bench in place of pullups.

Although I would have liked to see more weight loss at 7 lbs since I started I see a big difference in my muscle tone and strength. My clothes are baggy so I know I'm losing inches.

I was really sore the 1st couple of weeks but as you gain strength and muscle the soreness doesn't last long later in the program. The 2nd month I have alot more strength for the workouts also.

The hardest part for me is finding the time for the hour a day commitment. Some days my schedule won't allow me to do it but I jut pick up the next day where I left off and keep going.

Getting the calories/nutrition down is a struggle at first too. I'm still working on how many calories I really need to be eating.

Good luck!
  • Sarahannlacy
    Sarahannlacy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Sarahannlacy
    Options
    I love p90x. You do not need shakeology. Only people that will tell you you do are most likely beachbody coaches. Just use a protein shake and eat a balanced diet.

Good luck hun!
  • Sarahannlacy
    Options
    I am a beachbody coach and no i would not tell you you have to have shakeology.. it is expensive but you get what you pay for some people love it and some dont
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I am useless on a pull up bar, my bf has one and all I can do is swing on it lol!!

LOL! Sounds like me!