Running my first 5k...looking for suggestions

Options
My one bestie and I are running our first 5k in 4 weeks today. We both are not runners and I am looking for suggestions or tips. My time right now is about 39 to 42 minutes, with my goal being 40 minutes or under. I would love some tips or suggestions from those of you who have run a 5k before. I am a shortie under 5 feet and two pounds away from my goal weight. I am wondering...do you aim for endurance or speed on the big day. Nervous and excited at the same time.

Replies

• amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPod touch or iPhone you can download a program I've been using to get me to a 10K. They also have one for a 5K. I absolutely love it! I'm not a runner to begin with but it's a great way for me to lose weight quickly so I suffer through it! The app verbally instructs you on when to run and when to walk. It slowly increases your time over each week and breaks up the running into easy to manage intervals. All you have to do is run when the man says run and walk when he says walk. You can also listen to your music in the background which I love. I run another app in the background that is a gps tracker and tells me how far I've gone and how many calories I've burned based on my height, weight, and body measurements so it's really accurate. Also if you've already progressed in your running you can skip to a level that works for you. You can also email yourself or anyone else each day's run progress. Apps are called:

5K runner (couch to 5K)- It's symbol is gold in color and has 5K runner in an offset box
    GPS Pedometer Pro- It's symbol is a white figure running on a red background with a blue bubble on the bottom right corner that says GPS+

Add me as a friend and let me know how you're doing!

Ann
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The number 1 piece of advice I received and will give is to not get caught up with all the fast runners. Run YOUR race so that you don't get worn out or injured.
  • seraphinaglitter
    seraphinaglitter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Definately endurance for me :smile: I do have bad legs, but before they became so unstable I ran every day. I was never really fast, but I find running very slowly is harder work. A medium speed works best for me.

Those apps definately sound useful, though the Nike one on my ipod doesn't seem to work.

Best advice I've ever had, go at your own speed and listen to your body. Sounds amazing! I hope everything goes well and you enjoy it!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed. Run at a comfortable pace for you. Your first one is all about finishing. I think I did my first one in like 39 minutes. I was so worried about being last, and it turns out I had absolutely no reason to be worried. There will be lots of others just like you out there, so just relax, enjoy the experience, and the accomplishment.
    One thing I do think is important....start towards the back of the pack. Depending on the size of the 5k, it can be quite crowded at the beginning, and even crowded for the entire first mile if it is a large event. It is not only dangerous to have slower runners/walkers up towards the front with the faster runners, but will be frustrating for you as people run past you, and frustrating to those trying to get past you.
  • michelechavez
    Options
    The best advice I was ever given for running a 5K was this:

Find a comfortable pace in the first mile. In the second mile, pick up the pace. In the last mile, run like a bat out of hell.

Some other great advice someone gave me was this, silly as it sounds:

Color or paste a smiley face on the back of your hand and look at it in the last mile or so. (I used a laughing monkey sticker.) It really helps.

When I followed this advice, I PR'd.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I haven't done my first 5k yet...heck I'm only running 2.5mi so far. But I really enjoy the answers to the OPs post.

Color or paste a smiley face on the back of your hand and look at it in the last mile or so. (I used a laughing monkey sticker.) It really helps.

^^^love that one
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    There are lots of training programs on the web, but to answer the little questions for when race week rolls around, I put this together.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race
  • 4Tracylee
    4Tracylee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, thank you to all of you for the fabulous information. I am totally jittery, but I am so looking forward to it. Your comments have helped a ton and I am glad to know to let the bunnies a.k.a. faster runners go first. I will keep you posted if you are interested and feel free to add me.
    Again thanks for taking the time and answer.
  • sbarnes1963
    Options
    1. Don't go out too fast...huffing & puffing at the start is too fast!
    2. Stay toward the back if you are a slower runner. That lets the fast runners go & not struggle trying to get around you & you will be with runners more in your pace. Starting a little slower will leave you with some kick for the end :) Many races have signs for where you should line up according to how fast you run a mile so use that if they have it.
    3. Have fun!!!

Best of luck :)