Broke my diet for the weekend! Now what?

Options
jess_1993
jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
I was doing so good in keeping up with my healthy eating habits but then the weekend came. Friday night I ended up eating half of a Domino's macaroni bread bowl so saturday morning I hit the gym for about 2 hours to feel better. Saturday I just ate a healthy lunch but then I went out saturday night as well and ended up eating Jimmy johns. In the morning, I was dragged to a buffet in which I ate a not so healthy breakfast. Now i'll be hitting the gym again in a couple of hours but what should I do now?? I also feel bad because I've worked out every single day this week and this was supposed to be my day off but since I ate so much I feel forced to go to the gym. Any advice on what to do now and how to prevent this happening in the future??

Replies

• Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Move on, you can't change the past. One bad weekend isn't going to keep you from your goals. Just get back in your routine and forget about it.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is another day. Just try to do your best when you go out to look at all of your options and rethink what you would normally choose. I ate out on Saturday at Ruby Tuesday's and chose a salad and the grilled chicken with grilled zuccini. Normally I would have gone for ribs or pasta. Take your time and try to do the best you can. Hope back on the wagon again tomorrow. Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Go to the gym and do a light workout, or do some fun but active activity (since it is your rest day). And then stop beating yourself up and get back to eating healthy again at the next meal.

It happens to everyone, in one way or another. For me, it was a week long break from the gym right after I started going back (new tattoo). Two weeks later, nothing but gummi bears sounded appealing one night, so I had a really super healthy dinner. And last week, we went out for sushi with friends, and since we decided to share, the person who ordered for us only ordered fried and overly sauced items.

Don't worry, it'll be okay :)
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Again it's the past you can't change that day can you do you just need to carry on as you normally would, we all have our bad days I did today I feel crap for it but what can I do what's done is done I've just got to start again tomorrow!
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! You guys really helped!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it too much, just get back on track tomorrow. Don't overdo the gym either, rest days are just as important as working out. Try looking at your calories over the week rather than daily, you might not be over as much as you think if you are under on other days.

I know I eat more on a weekend, so what I have done is reduced my calorie goal by 100 a day during the week, that way I can go over by 700 on a saturday without worrying about it, as over the week my cals are on target :-)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would take your rest day. Sometimes that helps your body more than an extra workout to compensate for calories. You can adjust the rest of your food choices today to help compensate for the big breakfast. Don't not eat, just eat more moderately so you can stay closer to calories.

Then, like everyone else said, move and and let it go. It's not going to throw off everything to have one bad weekend. I've had bad weekends on occasion, I'm still going the right way with weight.
  • C_Lopez
    C_Lopez Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with treating yourself to a off day. Just remember the more you do it the more you'll feel guilty after.
    Anytime I eat out I stick to healthy alternatives to make a better choices. Depending on where you are in your progress you can allow it but I wouldn't make it a habit
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Omg you were human and ate food. I have eaten junk all day. Start over tomorrow and dont sweat it.
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a good dose of disipline, if you want to lose some weight then commit to it and get it going. lack of disipline will wreck the plan. Move forward and forget about it.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a day when they crash their diet - or weekend, for that matter. All you can really do is give off a big sigh, remember that it was ONE WEEKEND, and start over tomorrow. It might take a little extra exercise, but you can still lose the weight, you just have to not give up on your diet. Giving up on your diet is giving up on yourself, and that's something you DON'T want to do!!!
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I agree with the others. Cut yourself some slack! You had a "break" over the weekend - now you just have to get back to it and try to plan to take it easier on the food next weekend.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Give yourself credit for the days when you did well and stuck to the plan! :smile:
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    i did the same thing, i went to golden corral yest .. HOWEVER i really changed my eating i had small portions, i didnt fill my plate full of food .. i didnt go back for lots of extra stuff etc.

i just havent been in the mood to really care about what i was eating .. but tomorrow im pushing myself back on track
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It happens. It will happen again.

The point is to get back on track as soon as you can, and don't give up :)
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an eating disorder to me.

LOL
  • tallhottie
    Options
    I totally agree, do not beat yourself up about it. Life goes on, we all end up having an occasional day where we stuff ourselves.

Have you tried the diet where you eat healthy and good 6 days a week and then give yourself a day off? This doesn't mean stuff your face for 24 hours, but it means that is the day you can splurge a little and not feel guilty about it. Go out to a restaurant and not count calories, or eat that piece of cake that has been calling your name. Typically it helps cut binge eating, and guilt associated with breaking your diet. And it helps you stay on track a lot more when you know you can save something for your "bad" day.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet -- it's a lifestyle change. If you missed brushing your teeth one day (or even for a whole weekend) would you give up entirely on dental hygiene. Of course not, you would brush your teeth more conscientiously (and remember to pack a toothbrush for your next backpacking trip). Same with healthy eating.

Good luck.:smile:
  • sarahball386
    Options
    Aside from jumping right back on the proverbial horse you also need to be aware that working out too much is also a danger. Don't punish yourslef; we ALL fall off the wagon once in a while. If you were to pull a muscle or push yourself too hard you may be out of commission for a while; making it even harder to start back up.

However, take comfort in the fact that you don’t have to stop eating out forever… I usually plan my meals a week at a time… it saves a lot of “what do you want” “I dunno, what do you want” conversations. The key is to choose a small lunch and/or breakfast if you’re going to have a big dinner.

Also, most restaurant chains have nutrition guides on their websites. I always check before I order ANYTHING out. I was surprised when a certain salad at Chili’s was over 1,000 calories!!! And for those that don’t have a smartphone or internet access or simply get roped in to going out spontaneously by a co-worker all you have to do is ask for the nutrition guide at the chosen establishment. 9x’s out of 10 they have one you can borrow or keep!