Daily vitamins and sodium soaring

Options
willis84
willis84 Posts: 86 Member
The fish oil supplements I take have about 500mg of sodium so my sodium count is always exceeding.
Do the sodium in supplements and vitamins counts towards my daily goal?

Replies

• sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Get new supplements. My Omega3 have 0 sodium
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would say they do. I assume sodium is sodium, doesn't matter where it comes from. I agree with finding new ones w/out the high sodium levels.
  • sun33082
    Options
    I'm curious, what brand of fish oils are you taking? That just seems crazy to me that they would contain 500mg of sodium. That's 1/5 of daily intake of sodium.
  • willis84
    Options
    I use Spring Valley. What brand do u use?
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    Fish oil does not naturally contain sodium. Most fish oil capsules are only themselves 500mg or 1000mg in weight, so there is physically no way they can contain 500mg sodium!
  • sun33082
    Options
    I use Nutri West Complete Omega 3 Essentials and supposed to take 3 a day. I googled Spring Valley and I can't find where it has sodium.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you are watching your sodium so closely?

I would look for another supplement brand if my fish oil contained that much sodium.

If all fish oil contained 500mg sodium, would you not take it? I use the same line of thinking when it comes to water intake. I HAVE to have some flavor in my water so is 40 cals worth of crystal light worth the benefits of drinking a gallon of water per day?

Do the risks outweigh the gains?
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Like a few others here, I'm wondering if that sodium count is accurate. I looked up the brand on Amazon and found fish oil softgels, but there appears to be no sodium. Is it actually listed on the bottle that there are 500mg of sodium, or are you finding that information somewhere else?
  • willis84
    Options
    Maybe I was looking at the wrong bottles sorry. My glucosamine and condroudant have 100mg