Korean Jab Chae Noodles v. Shirataki Noodles

Options
mfpcopine
mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
Someone gave me a package of C.J. Glass Noodles, a kind of Korean Jab Chae Noodles made from sweet potato flour. I was told that they were the same as Shirataki noodles but I don't see how that can be the case. The package says that a 20 gram serving is 17 carbs. I thought Shirataki noodles were low-carb. I know that Shirataki noodles are made from the Konnyaku yam, not sweet potatoes.

On the plus side, a serving is only 68 calories and the noodles come dry and don't smell.

Replies

• mfpcopine
    Options
    Can anyone shed some light on this?
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I'm still seeking an answer on this.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    They are not the same. You even said why in your original post. What are you confused about?
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    They are not the same. You even said why in your original post. What are you confused about?

I've done some research since then (there wasn't a whole lot on this product on the web). I thought I'd confirm, as I see Shirataki Noodles discussed here all the time.

Is that allowed?
  • ciaoella
    ciaoella Posts: 10
    Options
    Shirataki noodles are between 0-5 cals per serving (white have zero calories and zero carbs; brown have 5 calories per serving and 2 carbs per serving, so 10 and 4 respectively). Tofu shirataki are a whole other ballgame. Those are about 20cals per serving (2 servings per bag) and 3 carbs (1 net).

They're not the same thing. At all.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Shirataki noodles are between 0-5 cals per serving (white have zero calories and zero carbs; brown have 5 calories per serving and 2 carbs per serving, so 10 and 4 respectively). Tofu shirataki are a whole other ballgame. Those are about 20cals per serving (2 servings per bag) and 3 carbs (1 net).

They're not the same thing. At all.

Thank you. I was a little puzzled when the person who gave them to me insisted that these glass noodles were Shirataki, but she usually is very well informed. I observed that these noodles were dry and odorless and that I'd always read that Shirataki noodles were wet, often smelled unpleasant, and people recommended stir frying them.

She acknowledged all that, and said she'd ordered these because of complaints she'd read about other brands of Shirataki noodles on the web. I know that yams (and I understand that Konnyaku yams are not the same as what we in the U.S. think of as "yams") and sweet potatoes are different.

OK, the next time I'm at Whole Foods I'll make sure to pick up something that says "Shirataki."
  • BobBruff
    BobBruff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm WAAAY late to the party on this and you've probably either found the answer or stopped caring, but Korean Shirataki noodles are called 실곤약 (Shil Konnyak) which is basically just saying noodles made from Konjac https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac.
    1fk0r4rq4dm2.jpg
    Picture attached.