Way over protein macros

Options
viki1123
viki1123 Posts: 30 Member
At the very least I'm 10 over, but usually more like 30, sometimes even 60.

Am I harming my weight loss or (more importantly) my health?

Replies

• 00Riga00
    00Riga00 Posts: 34
    Options
    Practically everyone in the world ...or maybe just America [not sure because this is what my friend told me] goes over on their protein.
  • Oishay
    Oishay Posts: 21
    Options
    I know there's a danger of excess protein turning to fat - I'd say if you are exercising as well that will help channel the excess protein into muscle.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If you're using the default settings, the protein is set kind of low.
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i am always going over on protein. what's the norm?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    While in a calorie deficit, you should get 1 g per pound of body weight or lean mass. Mfp goal is very low. If you have kidney problems, you should talk to a doctor, but otherwise you're fine.

Oh and to the person that commented on protein turning into fat: protein is the least efficiently metabolized macro, so if you ate 200 calories of carbs or 200 calories of protein, your body would be able to store more of the carbs calories as fat than protein.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A lot of ppl set their macros to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. I ami for 1g protein for every pound of body weight, 0.4 g fat/lb BW and make sure I eat enough carbs to get MORE calories than my BMR.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP's default macro settings it is almost impossible not to go over.
  • viki1123
    viki1123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    While in a calorie deficit, you should get 1 g per pound of body weight or lean mass.

That sounds like a lot!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm new here and I cannot figure out how to change my macro settings. I know there is a custom setting feature but I can't find it.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you go to settings, goals, then custom, you can change the percents. :)