PROTEIN

Options
delonda1
delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
So I have a HUGE problem getting in enough protein daily!

I'm not a huge meat eater so i barely eat it and am trying to change that (but i dont really eat beef or pork and no im not muslim lol)....

I try to do 2protein shakes a day and maybe a protien bar because well Im in the gym atleast an hr 6days a week so i know my body needs it.

PLEASE SUGGESTIONS OF GOOD PROTEIN FOOD SOURCES THAT I MAY BE ABLE TO EXPLORE

Replies

• delonda1
    Options
    i guess no one eats protein lol
  • ampeterson69
    Options
    Quinoa, lentels, legumes, nuts and seeds are all great non-animal sources of protein!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over my protein goal even on days I don't eat much meat. Protein powders, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, edamame, and homemade protein bread/bars are some of my favorites.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble, so I am interested to see more suggestions. I have tried the nuts, cottage cheese, peanut butter, stuff like that, but I worry the calories will be too high.
  • joyce1129
    joyce1129 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Boneless, skinless chicken breast is a very good source and be fixed a thousand ways. Also egg whites are loaded with protein too.

Do you eat fish, shrimp or other sea foods? They are also high in protein.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese has quite a bit. My favorite is Daisy Brand's 2%. String cheese, quinoa, lentils, beans, and some of the nut butters have quite a bit, too. Good luck!! :)
  • delonda1
    Options
    Boneless, skinless chicken breast is a very good source and be fixed a thousand ways. Also egg whites are loaded with protein too.

Do you eat fish, shrimp or other sea foods? They are also high in protein.

to be honest Im not a huge meat eater and thats the problem but I do eat seafood so I will have to try getting some shrimp! i love them thanks for that suggestion
  • leanandmean2012
    leanandmean2012 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    don't sweat it, protein powders do the trick along with eggs. But don't overdue the protein because it can turn into fat
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over my protein goal even on days I don't eat much meat. Protein powders, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, edamame, and homemade protein bread/bars are some of my favorites.

I was told to eat half my body weight in protein a day. So, I do kind of the same, protein powder, cottage cheese, yogurt...I eat them everyday.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein bars. 20g of protein per bar, around 200 calories I think, tons of fiber, and very little sugar or sugar alcohols. Oh and pretty low fat too. Chocolate peanut butter is the best.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    dairy: egg, milk, cheese, greek yogurt
    grains: hemp hearts, quinoa
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a good source of protein ... but make sure you get the kind with fruit, such as the Dannon Oikos (10-12 grams/protein depending on which one) because the plain Greek yogurt is nasty.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Beans (I love blackbeans or chickpeas), hummus, veggie burgers, greek yogurt, EGGS, tofu are all great non meat sources! Fish is great, I love to make salmon or shrimp!!
  • delonda1
    Options
    THANKS GUYS... Will have to try quinoa and as much as i despise greek yogurt (think its absolutely gross) maybe i can hide it in smoothies
  • samismc
    samismc Posts: 5
    Options
    cottage cheese, tuna any fish for that matter. Cottage Cheese is the only cheese I eat (mostly) because of the Saturated Fats
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options

to be honest Im not a huge meat eater and thats the problem but I do eat seafood so I will have to try getting some shrimp! i love them thanks for that suggestion

If you eat fish, tilapia and salmon are good sources of protein, as is tuna. Tilapia is one of my personal favorites! :)
  • tmaiden25
    tmaiden25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt either but Fage is amazing! I just discovered it a week ago and I've already been back to the grocery store for more I get the one with strawberry.
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Greek low fat yoghurt
    Egg whites
    Protein shakes

Good luck :)