Is Spinning better than Running

Options
http://www.livestrong.com/article/447738-is-spinning-better-than-running/

I say yes..lol..but i am biased as a Certified Spin Instructor. Some people love to run and I don't have a problem with that. Spinning and cycling (outdoors) are my fitness loves.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    They compliment each other. I do both but enjoy running and real cycling better; spinning is my biking fix in the winter.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you, I can burn 425 cals in my AM spinning class which is only 45 mins long... this includes warm up and cool down!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Running & outdoor cycling > spinning!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Totally agree with you, I can burn 425 cals in my AM spinning class which is only 45 mins long... this includes warm up and cool down!

Based on that running is definitely superior - I burned 878 cal last Thursday in 57:46.78 minutes running (not including the warm up & cool down) :laugh: :laugh:
  • christinaleffmann
    Options
    Depends where your running, I've heard a lot of damage being done to your knees. While biking can help your knees. So in a non-calorie related way I'd definitely vote biking/spinning
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Based on that running is definitely superior - I burned 878 cal last Thursday in 57:46.78 minutes running (not including the warm up & cool down) :laugh: :laugh:

I typically burn 1200 or so teaching a 60 minute class.
  • alyssatuininga
    alyssatuininga Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    According to my heart rate monitor I burn more calories spinning than running in an hour. Spinning is usually 800-900 and running is about 700-800. Both with a warm up and cool down.
  • rednblack84
    Options
    I typically by 1050 in a 55 minute class including 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down and stretch. Spinning reigns supreme to me.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Depends where your running, I've heard a lot of damage being done to your knees. While biking can help your knees. So in a non-calorie related way I'd definitely vote biking/spinning

You've been misinformed. The knee damage myth has been perpetuated for so long it's become conventional wisdom. There''s a solid body of research that has proven that runners do not suffer any more osteoarthritis in hips & knees than the general population. It's true that running is contraindicated for those who are severely overweight but that's a function of the weight not the activity.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body. If you have bad knees and weak ankles, the bike is a great way to exercise.
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I typically burn 1200 or so teaching a 60 minute class.

I do spinning 4 to 5 times a week - MFP gives me 429 cal for 60 min -???
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Why choose? Go for both! All things don't hinge on the calorie burn. Each activity offers benefits that can compliment the other. Like some others here, I prefer riding a real bike outdoors which offers another set of benefits as well. I am a huge believer in variety and cross training so just enjoy some of all.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I did enjoy spinning when I was a child. I would look at the ground and spin for a minute or two and then walk around all dizzy.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I find indoor cycling to be extremely boring. I'd much rather run outside, bike outside, or even run on a treadmill. That said, anything that gets people off their couches and sweating is a good thing :)
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'll say I love running outside much better than indoor cycling but I think I probably expend more energy (calories) in the spin class I've attended. It's 30 minutes of spinning and 30 minutes of kettlebell. I'm totally spent after that one. I can't say I love it but it doe what it intends to do. Burn calories and increase fitness.
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Anyone try Real Ryder spinning class?

Beats any other spin class out there. it simulates and out door ride. This is the class I take at my gym and I cant ever imagine going back to regular spinning. The bikes move side to side and you can burn up to twice as many calories. not to mention they are sooooo much fun!!!

One of our instructors also incorporated weights into the mix. His class made Self Magazine top workout classes in the nation.

Check out a video of the class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJL373mKbmQ
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    ahah im the same i love spin,l im a spin instructor too. but i also run. i get a fairly similar calorie burn, however i sweat a heck of a lot more teaching my classes!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I love Spinning! 2 years of spinning helped elevate my fitness level and endurance abilities to the point where I was able to run. I doubt that walking alone would have done that much. Lately I have been incorporating more running into my routine, just as a cross training option. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. The combination is fantastic!!
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I say whatever workout you enjoy so you will actually DO the workout is best! We're all different and like different workouts. If you
    Iike both spinning and running, alternate so you don't get bored. I have friends that do workout videos, which are great workouts, but I get bored and don't like them, so they aren't a good workout for me. I have to do what I like and what's best for me. The most important point is that you are burning calories!
  • MomBod81
    MomBod81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always wonder how others seem to have this huge (1000 cal +) burn during a spin class. I work hard when I go to spin class, but I'd say on average I burn about 450-500 cal. during an hour class. I really don't think that others are working that much harder in order to burn TWICE the amount of calories, or more. Any explanation?