Low carb help please :-)

Options
Hi! So i am new to a low carb diet and I am having a problem eating all of my calories. I currently have my carb intake set to 10%. What seems to happen is i have 890 calories left to eat today....what the heck has that many calories and less than 5g of carbs?? I seem to be running in to this alot....wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks?? Thanks a bunch!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!!!!! :love:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Stick to protein- chicken beef fish and eggs. Did you subtract out the fiber?
  • Bella151
    Options
    i know exactly how you feel! I would like to know the answer to this too, because I can't seem to eat all my calories either without going over carbs- thanks for asking this question!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes. Mix low carb whey protein with water. This gives High protein, some calaries, and very little carbs.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    ... Also:
    any nuts
    lean chicken or turkey
    cheeses
    avacados
  • AmandaJ12
    AmandaJ12 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    mmmm yes, avacados...yum!
  • RXchic
    Options
    Peanut butter, eggs, tuna, jerky, & chicken are my high protein/low carb favs!:tongue:
  • quistis145
    Options
    No i forgot about the fiber thing.....
  • quistis145
    Options
    Thank you! Someone also suggested 98% fat free lunch meat (I prefer turkey or chicken), 2% cheese sticks, Atkins low carb shakes and Atkins protein bars. I find with the lunch meat i am eating more sodium than normal though. i was having eggs for breakfast, however, the cholesterol freaks me out since i already have elevated cholesterol. I tried egg whites but they didn't keep me full. Here is my menu:

Breakfast:
    - Atkins Advantage Caramel Chocolate peanut nougat bar
    - Coffee (I can't give it up!)

Lunch:
    - 2% cheese stick
    - lunch meat
    - 100 calorie pack of emerald cocoa roast almonds

Snack:
    - Atkins Advantage shake

Dinner:
    - Meat (either lean beef, chicken, fish or shrimp)
    - Broccoli

What do you think????? Sometimes we will eat reduced fat cabot cheese as a snack.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would eat much more produce...fruits that are low on the GI, and some veggies. Your diet looks like it is all protein. I understand the benefits of a low-carb diet and that it works for some people, but you will really miss out on lots of vitamins and minerals if you don't round out your diet a little more, IMO.
  • quistis145
    Options
    Oh thank you, yes, I do eat salads as snacks or part of a meal almost daily. Forgot to put that in there. I don't really "count" it because veggies are so low cal. Next week i am definitely going to start working in some fruits low on the GI and maybe even some rice or dreamfields pasta one meal a day.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Someone also suggested 98% fat free lunch meat (I prefer turkey or chicken), 2% cheese sticks, Atkins low carb shakes and Atkins protein bars. I find with the lunch meat i am eating more sodium than normal though. i was having eggs for breakfast, however, the cholesterol freaks me out since i already have elevated cholesterol. I tried egg whites but they didn't keep me full. Here is my menu:

Breakfast:
    - Atkins Advantage Caramel Chocolate peanut nougat bar
    - Coffee (I can't give it up!)

Lunch:
    - 2% cheese stick
    - lunch meat
    - 100 calorie pack of emerald cocoa roast almonds

Snack:
    - Atkins Advantage shake

Dinner:
    - Meat (either lean beef, chicken, fish or shrimp)
    - Broccoli

What do you think????? Sometimes we will eat reduced fat cabot cheese as a snack.

Personally, I would ditch the Atkins processed stuff and add in REAL food. Eggs, sausage, ham, more veggies (YOU REALLY NEED TO EAT MORE VEGGIES!!!!!!)

Go for the full fat cheese, not the reduced fat or 2% stuff. Again, real food.

Eggs don't cause your cholesterol to increase....................Here are some eye-opening articles to read regarding the cholesterol myth.

http://www.thincs.org/links.htm

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

http://www.preventionisbest.com/site/saturatedfat.html