Breakfast before or after workout at gym?

Options
Hi all,
I've been wondering if it is better to eat breakfast before or after workout. My workout on gym days is 30- 45 minutes of jog/ power walking on treadmill. I walk 2 minutes jog 1 minute currently and am trying to work my way up to all jogging. Anyways, I wake up at 8:45 am and do my morning routine of cleaning/ feeding all my pets. That gets me to the gym about 10:15 to 10:30 and then I eat breakfast late on gym days. (I work from home so can make my own hours). I don't go to bed til 1:30 am, so my whole schedule is a little later than most people. Currently going to gym 3-4 days a week, and then on off days I want to add strength training. I'm new to all this so don't want to overdo it as I really want to stick with it this time.

Replies

• thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When I was doing aqua aerobics my instructor told us it is very important to eat something, anything before doing a workout in the morning. She said that its like trying to run a car after it just ran out of gas. She was a licensed nutritionist/physical therapist.

Basically you have to give your body some fuel before you expect it to work at its best.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Im following the leangains guide (search it on google) where im doing intermittent fasting I dont eat anything before my workout in the morning and I dont eat until 12-1pm and I workout just fine I do a mixture of running and strength training 6 times a week but I make sure Im eating at least 1800 calories for the day and I hit my macros when I do eat. Each person is different and each to their own. A lot of people will tell you that you will put on 50kgs or you will have no energy for your workout if you dont eat breakfast but Intermittent fasting is working for me so thats what I follow and I have no problems with not eating breakfast.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    When I was doing aqua aerobics my instructor told us it is very important to eat something, anything before doing a workout in the morning. She said that its like trying to run a car after it just ran out of gas. She was a licensed nutritionist/physical therapist.

Basically you have to give your body some fuel before you expect it to work at its best.

I agree, you should eat something before doing any exercise, particularly if it's cardio.
    Breakfast is usually the first thing I do in the mornings - before my shower or anything. But I usually work out in the afternoon/evening anyway so working out isn't usually on my mind (I'm just thinking - get me food...NOW!) because my tummy feels empty - as the freebiemom said, like a car when it's out of gas.

Happy working out :)
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I eat just a small amount before working out in the morning, otherwise I get light headed. I will then eat the rest of my breakfast after working out.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Eat something. Otherwise you'll feel bad when your blood sugar drops. It's all about calories in versus calories out anyway. Doesn't matter when you're eating, although it's good to have protein after your workout :)
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I always eat something before I go to the gym. It keeps me from feeling sick. The only time I workout in the morning is when I have a training session. So I'll eat something that will stick with me like oatmeal. The instant packs are easy because it's a set amount of calories. I also like to scramble some eggs. When I get back, I'll have a small snack like fruit or yogurt. I've done intense workouts without eating & it doesn't go well.
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I break it up and have half before for fuel, and half after for recovery
  • kkoshiro
    kkoshiro Posts: 69
    Options
    If I am going walking/jogging in the mornings I usually don't eat until right after, and other times I eat after I come back from the gym (lifting weights,strength training, yoga, aerobics).
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey

I am like you, work from home and night owl. I hit the gym later in the morning.

My nutritionist said to have SOMETHING before myworkout, even if its half a protein shake or bar. Then high protein after my workout.

I take something before workout so I can take my vitamins and B12 as well.

Happy journey
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I will barf if I eat before a work out. But I am extremely overweight and so i breath HARD when I am working out. A trainer told me if I can't eat before, eat something immediately afterwards.
  • hap76
    hap76 Posts: 3
    Options
    I usually do lite cards and or fruits before and then protein after for recovery. You get the quick energy for your workout then add the protein to get you through the rest of your morning whatever time that is!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just cos I am different....I workout first thing in the morning, either a power walk or a 30km bicycle commute to work. I don't eat before because it leaves me feeling sluggish and weighed down.

Re the fuelling the car analogy - my main tank may be empty first thing in the morning but I still have plenty in the reserve tank. I haven't had any negative effects from not eating before my exercise and it is working for me. (60kg lost in one year.)

It may be a case of trial and error to see what works best for you.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am at gym @ 6am, so I don't eat before.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym around 6 every morning and I still make sure to get something to eat before going. Normally it is a fruit/nut bar or protein muffin with my pre-workout drink. I think it's best to have something in your system to fuel your body for the workout. Just depends on how you feel and if you can get through a good workout without it. I do weights and am normally in for over an hour so I definitely don't get the most of out it if I don't have something before going. Same with cardio too. I can't make it through a session on an empty stomach.

My suggestion is a breakfast before and snack after or snack before and breakfast after. (Thats just what works for me though)