yoga?

Options
Hey guys... i've heard really good things about how great yoga is for u... i would like to give it a try! I've never done it before and i don't want to spend a bunch of money either... any suggestions for an inexpensive beginners DVD??

Replies

• bschoo01
    bschoo01 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I took a yoga class a few years ago through the local parks and rec....it was great! Id like to do it again now that ive gotten some of "me" out of the way. I always walked out of the class feeling like my whole body had been properly stretched and used.. and also felt about three inches taller! Try it, I bet you'll enjoy it!
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options
    do you burn any calories during yoga?
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix streaming, there are tons of yoga and Pilates DVDs. The Crunch gym ones are relatively non-annoying.
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    Ellen Barret's Crunch Slimdown. It's pilates/yoga fusion, 45 minutes long. It's FANTASTIC.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    do you burn any calories during yoga?

Sorry to double post, but personally I find yoga better for stretching than a vigorous workout. Maybe I've just had lackluster teachers but I've never felt "worked out" after a class. However I used to be a ballet dancer so my body was already pretty efficient at a lot of the movement.
  • bschoo01
    Options
    i do not have netflix :( and thanks krystlekiri... i'll have to check that one out!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I recommend a class if you can get to one, to be sure your form is good - that's very important in yoga. If you can't make a class work, there are some good videos on YouTube (Sadie Nardini, yogayak, yogatic) and doyogawithme.com.

Check your library as well because they might have a few you can check out, without having to buy one.

If you want to buy one, I like Sara Ivanhoe and Rodney Yee, both available on Amazon (but don't get the Dummies one).
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer Pilates....you get the same stretch as in Yoga but with the benefits of total body toning via focus on the core. My abs get a serious workout. My posture has improved greatly and my abs, back and balance are much stronger! I make sure I get to my pilates class at least once a week. It is amazing after a week of cardio and weight training!
  • bschoo01
    Options
    I recommend a class if you can get to one, to be sure your form is good - that's very important in yoga. If you can't make a class work, there are some good videos on YouTube (Sadie Nardini, yogayak, yogatic) and doyogawithme.com.

Check your library as well because they might have a few you can check out, without having to buy one.

If you want to buy one, I like Sara Ivanhoe and Rodney Yee, both available on Amazon (but don't get the Dummies one).

sry if this is a stupid question... lol but what do u mean by dummies one? does it say on it "yoga for dummies"?
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

sry if this is a stupid question... lol but what do u mean by dummies one? does it say on "yoga for dummies"?

Yup - it's called Yoga for Dummies with Sara Ivanhoe. It's more annoying than instructional, just a bad format and music/sounds.
  • bschoo01
    Options
    I personally prefer Pilates....you get the same stretch as in Yoga but with the benefits of total body toning via focus on the core. My abs get a serious workout. My posture has improved greatly and my abs, back and balance are much stronger! I make sure I get to my pilates class at least once a week. It is amazing after a week of cardio and weight training!

krystlekiri recommended one that was yoga/pilates fusion so maybe that would be better than just yoga?
  • bschoo01
    Options

sry if this is a stupid question... lol but what do u mean by dummies one? does it say on "yoga for dummies"?

Yup - it's called Yoga for Dummies with Sara Ivanhoe. It's more annoying than instructional, just a bad format and music/sounds.

ok thanks!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You can watch free yoga videos online at hulu.com. You may also want to check a few out from your local library and find something you like before you buy.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Rodney Yee suggestion. His beginner one has a session that goes over how to actually do a lot of the poses, really helpful if you've never gone to a class.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you can, go to a class, but I found a yoga site through stumbleupon called doyogawithme.com. Its all one word.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown. Most of her videos are like $10
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yoga Now (with Mariel Hemmingway and Rodney Yee) - it has several DVD's - morning wake-up, evening destresser, Core and advanced. It allows for modified versions - if you are not yet capable of some of the poses.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yes, you burn some calories practicing yoga. The amount I think depends in part on the kind you do. I prefer vinyasa. Many prefer bikram or hot yoga. Another kind that seems pretty active is kundilini (sp). If you have on demand, you can probably find videos there. I hope this helps.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Check your local YMCA... they may have classes there that may be part of the fees.. It is a pretty good deal given everything else you get there. strength training, spin classes, aerobic activities, etc. Our local Y has Yoga... I don't do it... but it is there if I wanted to get into it. they say it is good for flexibility....