QUINOA super food

Options
I just wanted everyone to know about this great super food. It's called quinoa pronounced "keen-wa" and its 100% PROTEIN!!
they're little seeds that are cooked on the stove top and can be served warm with a side of chicken/fish/anything you like or cold like a salad!

for more info:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/5-health-benefits-of-quinoa/

enjoy :)

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I agree quinoa is a great food - I use it instead of rice with things like curry, or cold as a salad, but it is not 100% protein. My bag shows it has 24g per 170g, with 16% fat and 36% carbs.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I bought it for this reason, it hardly had any protein in it and was mostly carbs and then fat, Is it a special kind you have to get for higher protein/fat?
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It's higher in protein than most other grains, but it's not necessarily "high protein."
    It is, however, delicious and versatile.

If you plan to eat it in large amounts, I suggest reading up on the conditions it's being grown in and the problems in Bolivia surrounding its production:
    http://www.npr.org/2011/01/13/132878264/demand-for-quinoa-a-boon-for-bolivian-farmers
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Assuming here, but by "it's 100% protein" I think you may be referring to "it's a complete protein" - meaning it has all the essential amino acids to make it a complete grain - while most grains only have some of the essential amino acids - so when following a vegan / vegetarian diet one would need to combine different sources to obtain a complete protein i.e. beans & rice.
    Personally, I love quinoa made into a salad, with fresh veggies & an oil / vinegar dressing.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to like quinoa for years. The good thing about this grain is that is supposedly a complete protein, so it doesn't have to be combined with beans for instance. I was able to tolerate the red quinoa a little better than the white. It is not the tste as much as the texture. Anyone have any great quinoa recipes?
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think the thing about quinoa is that it is a complete protein with all nine amino acids, and had 5 g fiber in a serving. It is definitely a good choice to have in the whole grain lineup.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=142&tname=foodspice

Edit- Whoops- didn't see the post before me!
  • ayoubm3949
    Options
    yea by 100% I meant it's a complete protein, my bad!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to like quinoa for years. The good thing about this grain is that is supposedly a complete protein, so it doesn't have to be combined with beans for instance. I was able to tolerate the red quinoa a little better than the white. It is not the tste as much as the texture. Anyone have any great quinoa recipes?

I recently ate some delicious quinoa from the Whole Foods hot bar that was flavored with lime and jalapeno, possibly also cilantro. I'm not sure what you can do about the texture, to be honest. I like it cold as a salad with chopped, raw veggies like peppers and grains like corn, which may help the texture for you.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I recently ate some delicious quinoa from the Whole Foods hot bar that was flavored with lime and jalapeno, possibly also cilantro. I'm not sure what you can do about the texture, to be honest. I like it cold as a salad with chopped, raw veggies like peppers and grains like corn, which may help the texture for you.

It's worth another shot I think cold as a salad sounds most promising and I love spicy. I'll have to get creative. I'm not a picky eater...I usually like everything especially if it's good for me
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    We like to use it in a broccoli and "cheese" casserole, in place of the rice.

I can't recall all the minor spices that go into it, but it's just a mix of ground broccoli, quinoa and Daiya cheese.. basically, mix the proportions to your personal tastes, we adjust it by sight. I'm sure there's some onion powder in there, too, but again I don't recall how much. I'm sure a googling will come up with broccoli casserole recipes and then just substitute from there! Very yummy.
  • iambatman41
    Options
    Quinoa Mac and Cheese

Cooked two cups of dry quinoa according to the directions on the package.
    Let the quinoa cool for a bit.

1 cup white onion
    1/2 cup bell pepper
    1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    4 oz of cobly/jack cheese
    1 T of garlic powder
    1/2 t of salt
    1/4 t of black pepper

When Quinoa is cooled, add to the milk/egg/cheese/veggie/spice mixture and fold in.

Spray 9 X14 glass dish; spread mixture evenly.

Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes (depending how golden brown you want it to be)

slice into 9 pieces. Around 273 calories.

I also add ham, soy dogs, bacon, veggie bacon, or anything else you like chopped or crumbled into the mixture.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    OMG that mac and cheese sounds delicious!
  • KateB1982
    KateB1982 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • akrzyzewski
    akrzyzewski Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I make a cold quinoa salad. It's so colorful and beautiful. I don't have an exact recipe because I make it different all the time. I usually mess around with the dressing until its to my taste

Quinoa
    Black beans(drained, rinsed, and microwaved)
    Finely chopped red onion
    Chopped orange pepper
    Corn
    Lots of cilantro

Dressing
    Olive oil
    White wine vinegar
    Lime juice
    A little bit of salt
    Honey
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    loooove quinoa! Just started eating it this year... and i uses to be addicted to rice... quinoa is a great substitute! Love it in soup ...i make a thai inspired soup with mixed veggies like cauliflower and sugar snap peas.... some green curry ...thai chili garlic sauce...and coconut oil ( sometimes coconut manna, depending on cals left for the day...the manna is less calorie wise) .... put cook it all up in the microwave with some chicken broth and pre-cooked chicken or shrimp..and some dried basil... AWESOME stuff!
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    We had Quinoa for dinner tonight. I cooked it in chicken broth and served it with ratatouille and chicken sausage.

I also like to bake a Quinoa Banana Bread, which is healthy and yummy. A thick slice with some peanutbutter or honey on top is a great breakfast!

1 cup cooked quinoa (follow package directions)
    3 mushy bananas
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla
    dash of salt
    1/2 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
    2. Place the cooled cooked quinoa in a mixing bowl and stir together with bananas.
    3. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, salt, yogurt, oil, sugar and egg and continue mixing.
    4. In a separate bowl, mix together the baking soda, baking powder, all-purpose and whole wheat flour. Add to the wet ingredients 1/2 cup at a time until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
    5. Grease a loaf pan and pour in the batter. Bake in a 350°F oven for 1 hour.
    6. Remove the bread from the oven and let rest for as long as you can wait before cutting a slice.