Cocktail party food ideas

Options
I'm having a cocktail party this coming Friday, and would love some healthy cocktail party food ideas. The most important thing is covered; the drinks. So now its time to plan the food! Thanks for your help!

Replies

• twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We have "snack days" at work where everyone brings something to contribute. Normally the things that go over the best are raw veggies with ranch dressing or some other dip, little smokies in bbq (you can use turkey smokies to lighten the calories/fat), salsas, seven layer dip, etc. that can be served with baked tortilla chips. You could also have fresh fruit with a light dip (there are several on the recipe boards right now). Hope that helps... enjoy your party!
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    asparagus wrapped in crescent rolls, marinated mushrooms, cubed cheeses with a variety of crackers or with pretzel sticks in them, zucchini bites, tzatziki, hummus, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, guacamole, whole wheat pita crisps... really depends on how many people you're trying to feed and whether you're trying to keep them from getting shnockered.
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    you can also do oven baked spring rolls, meat and cheese pinwheels, canapes...
  • todaysanewday
    Options
    thank you both so much for your great ideas!!! :)
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Shrimp is low-cal, and melon balls or pear slices wrapped in a little bit of prosciutto are good too.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A good low cal dessert is to drizzel chocolate onto strawberries. You can just put a bunch of strawberries on a platter then put some chocolate chips in a zip top bag in the microwave until they melt. Be careful though the chocolate will burn easily! Cut off a corner of the bag and use that to make pretty stripes all over the strawberries. It seems very decadant but very low cal and easy.

Stuffed mushrooms are great because the mushrooms themselves have very little calories. I normally stuff mine with a filing made of chopped sauted onions, chopped sauted mushroom stems, minced garlic, frozen chopped spinach (thawed of course) and grated cheese. Mix it all together, stuff the mushrooms, put them in the oven until the cheese melts and the mushrooms are tender.

Instead of chicken wings do chunks of chicken breast on toothpicks. You can still make them bbq flavored or with buffalo wing sauce but they will have way less calories.

Toasted bread with a fresh tomato topping is good. Or mini egg salad sandwiches with some of the egg yokes discarded and served on cocktail rye. Low cal, nutritious and cheap!

I am also a big fan of fat free sour cream. I think it tastes like the real thing and you can use it to make all of your normal dips like french onion dip and spinach dip. Serve them with veggies and you can snack to your heart's content and still stay in your calorie goal.
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Go to the following link:
    http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2011/12/individual-seven-layer-dips.html
    I think this is a great party snack. I'm excited to give it a try at my next party.