Will my body go into starvation mode.

Options
I am currently doing the Insanity program.

Since I am trying to eat as healthy as possible, the most calories I seem to be getting in a day is around 1300, or 1400 MAX. I can't seem to eat more than that... I feel full with that much, and I eat around 5-6 times a day (small meals).

I've read that have a net calorie intake that is too low can cause your body to go into starvation mode. If I am doing insanity, and eating only about 1300 calories, will it cause my body to do that?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories you're burning in your workouts? You want to make sure you're eating enough, and should watch your net calories for the day. Say you eat 1400 calories, but burn 300 in your workout, your net calories is only 1100 for the day, which isn't a whole lot, especially when you're working out hard.

To add more calories that are still nutritious, you could try adding some raw nuts to your daily intake, and avocados, things like that. They are higher in calories but they are good for you - great way to get good calories and keep your body going strong.
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you're not getting enough cals in, your metabolism will slow down and your body may start to break down lean tissue (muscles, heart, etc). You should be eating your goal calories, as MFP calculates your deficit for you in that goal. Create too much of a deficit, and you won't be losing fat. I've done Insanity twice, so I know how challenging it is. You need cals to repair those tissues.
    Seek out more calorie dense foods each day, especially if you're having a problem getting in more than 1300. Good fats, protein, complex carbs, veggies, fruits....
    Hope this helps
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You need to provide more information. How much do you weigh? How long have you been doing Insanity? How much weight have you lost so far? What were you doing before that? Are you eating back your exercise calories?
    As a side note, you don't have to eat 5-6 meals a day. It won't affect your metabolism.
  • SabKab16
    SabKab16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I like eating 5-6 times a day..... and i am 141, I've been doing insanity for 8 days now, and I've lost 4 lbs. I was travelling for the entire last year, so I didn't get too much workouts in. Just like getting a run in about 30 mins / 4x/wk.

I actually dont pay attention to how many calories I could possibly be burning. I just try to kick *kitten* in my workouts, and eat about 1300-1400 cals/day.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I would say you need to eat more. I think at minimum you are burning bout 500 calorie with insanity. At 1300 that puts you at 800 net. But then again if your energy is up and you are not hungry I am not sure if you need to force it. Im no nutritionist or trainer just going by what my opinion is. Going by the diet book that came with Insanity you need more.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Since starvation mode is basically a myth, or at best a very misunderstood phenomenon with no real hard evidence to support, I would say no.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I like eating 5-6 times a day..... and i am 141, I've been doing insanity for 8 days now, and I've lost 4 lbs. I was travelling for the entire last year, so I didn't get too much workouts in. Just like getting a run in about 30 mins / 4x/wk.

I actually dont pay attention to how many calories I could possibly be burning. I just try to kick *kitten* in my workouts, and eat about 1300-1400 cals/day.
    So you do insanity along with running 30 min 4 x/week?

Oh yeah that's right, you don't count exercise calories - that's good.

So estimating your maintenance intake at about 1950 calories, you are just under a 30% deficit. That, combined with the amount of activity you do is not a good idea. Read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
    I'm assuming your current goal is fat loss.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    honestly,

do what your body tells you.
    If you are hungry, eat.
    If you are not, don't.
    If you hit a plateau, mix it up.
    :flowerforyou: