Gonna get some VIBRAMS!

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
After looking and wanting them for so long (I'm really cheap) I'm going to get some Vibrams since they are one sale at REI and I have an extra % off (not to mention a gift card). Just trying to decide which model but am leaning to the KSO's.
Anybody have some and what model they like?

KSO.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    kso's are bomb. i have sprints, classics, and one of the other ones that i can not remember for the life of me.

my boy, who has giant feet, loves his kso's and he also likes classics for quick lazy trips to the market or whatnot.

yaaay convert :D
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I've kickboxed so long barefooted, but in our gym we have to wear shoes and I don't feel the same. My balance feels off. So I have a feeling that this will get me back to where I want to be. Again, I waited a long time because I'm a cheap *kitten* and had a hard time qualifying whether or not they would be worth it to me.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I also got mine on sale last year from REI, kamodo sports with the drawcord rather than the velcro strap.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I also got mine on sale last year from REI, kamodo sports with the drawcord rather than the velcro strap.
    I'm going there tomorrow so I'll check out all the models.

IDEA Fitness member
  • coppercurlz
    Options
    I got the Komodo Sport Texas Gold :) LOVE them. I'd recommend them over the KSO. There's more grip for lateral moves and if you run trails or will walk in them outside, they're a little more sturdy.

WHATEVER you decide, do NOT wash them in hot water or accidentally let them slip into the dryer. Those puppies shrink and dont stretch back out. Trust me on this. Sucks to spend good money on shoes you cant wear anymore. They are fine to go in the washer (they can get pretty stinky over time), just make sure its cool water and air dry them.

I've never had stinky feet before or stinky shoes, but after about 6 or 7 months they would smell after a few days (I never wore the socks with them though, felt too weird). When air drying, I stick a few dryer sheets inside and it fixes it up, lol!

Go for it Niner :) You'd like them!
  • invisiblerunner23
    Options
    I have the womens bakila ls. I love them, I have had them almost a year now and I almost can't go back to regular shoes, the vibrams are just so comfortable. Totally worth the money. I spent the most money on my vibrams I ever have for a pair of shoes, and I totally don't regret it, I actually want to get a second pair. I think you will love them.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I got the Komodo Sport Texas Gold :) LOVE them. I'd recommend them over the KSO. There's more grip for lateral moves and if you run trails or will walk in them outside, they're a little more sturdy.

I too have the KomodoSport Texas Gold. I usually wear them on Leg day at the gym, for squats and deadlifts. It puts your heel closer to the ground, and definitely gives the calves a bit more of a workout.

Do it! You won't regret it. I get funny looks sometimes, mostly because of my righteous sock tan, but a lot of people are actually intrigued by them.

monkeyfeet.jpg
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have the exact pair in your picture and they are worth every penny.

You will love'em!

:smile:
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    Throwing my vibrams out as soon as I get around to buying new sneaks. . they are about 6 months old and REEK! lysol disinfectant spray and throwing in the laundry has not slowed it. I have never had stinky feet in my LIFE and OH MY GOD i gross myself out :(

** at least if they are stinky i know ive put some good miles on 'em**
  • wiglett
    Options

WHATEVER you decide, do NOT wash them in hot water or accidentally let them slip into the dryer. Those puppies shrink and dont stretch back out. Trust me on this. Sucks to spend good money on shoes you cant wear anymore. They are fine to go in the washer (they can get pretty stinky over time), just make sure its cool water and air dry them.

I've never had stinky feet before or stinky shoes, but after about 6 or 7 months they would smell after a few days (I never wore the socks with them though, felt too weird). When air drying, I stick a few dryer sheets inside and it fixes it up, lol!

your stench must not be as bad as mine, cuz mine doesnt go away. . . and today, i had my shoes in my car in a plastic bag tied, and it was in the 80's and the smell is like baked into my 4 month-brand new car :( no new car smell for me. . smells like stinky feet! ugh!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Throwing my vibrams out as soon as I get around to buying new sneaks. . they are about 6 months old and REEK! lysol disinfectant spray and throwing in the laundry has not slowed it. I have never had stinky feet in my LIFE and OH MY GOD i gross myself out :(

Have you thought of wearing the Injinji socks with them? Solves the problem of your stench, but retains the benefits of going minimalist.
  • wiglett
    Options
    nah, i just wanted to try them out, I've been an asics fan since high school, so i best go back to what I know :D my calves are super strong now though!
  • jcan1588
    jcan1588 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

fill ur washer with detergant and 1 cup of vinager let them sit over night then wash in the morning i do an extra rinse air dry, they should be fine after that.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've had a pair. Never became a fan of em. Enjoy them sir!
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love the KSO Trek. They are leather and don't get smelly but are still washable.
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options

your stench must not be as bad as mine, cuz mine doesnt go away. . . and today, i had my shoes in my car in a plastic bag tied, and it was in the 80's and the smell is like baked into my 4 month-brand new car :( no new car smell for me. . smells like stinky feet! ugh!

Mine got stinky and I washed 'em, and then put them outside to dry. And now after every wear I sprinkle some Lavender Baby Powder in them. No more stink!

PS: I LOVE THEM! I have the Komodo Sports are well :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I started of with the Trek model 3 years ago and have the Bikila LS now. Absolutely could not be more happy with Vibrams! They reinvigorated my love for running! Good luck and happy trails!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I too have the KomodoSport Texas Gold. I usually wear them on Leg day at the gym, for squats and deadlifts. It puts your heel closer to the ground, and definitely gives the calves a bit more of a workout.

Do it! You won't regret it. I get funny looks sometimes, mostly because of my righteous sock tan, but a lot of people are actually intrigued by them.

monkeyfeet.jpg
    Bumping for the pic! I want these!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Heard if you put shoes in the freezer for 8 hours, it kills the bacteria that causes the smell. It worked on my regular sneakers.

IDEA Fitness member