Hi !! from seeking encouragement.

Options
I am a young 52 year old woman who is an overeater, it is bad for me because of my Health History and past medical History. I joined to seek encouragement form a group like yours instead of driving to Weightwatchers since I am out of work. My problem is I enjoy food as most of us do and I have to constantly have either gum or food in my mouth. I have come to the conclusion lately that i am "Orally challenged". I am only 26 pounds overweight , but I can see where it is slowly getting worst daily!!
Help

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would love to be just 26 lbs over-weight. If that makes you feel any better. But I understand. What I did is I started changing small things about my life style. Instead of a Mt Dew everyday, I have one a week. Instead of M&M's at my desk for a snack..grapes.. and so on.

Just my .02.
  • Lrichert
    Options
    Thanks for the word of encouragement..I guess the 2 protien bars will have to go down to one daily!! Appreciate your story! We are all in this together , otherwise we would not be on myfitnesspal!!
  • jeanniedreambtl
    Options
    Hello and welcome!
    I have been doing this now for almost a month. This website is awesome.
    Trust me I know exactly where you're coming from.
    I want to encourage you to wake up everyday, put a smile on your face, and make yourself get up and go for a walk. Enjoy the sunshine, and fresh air. Start looking up healthy recipes also. Healthy food you can eat plenty of and believe it or not some of it is actually very very good.
    This is all a mind thing. If you can just focus on your goal, you can achieve anything you put your mind to.
    :happy:

Take care and keep us updated!
    -Jeannie
  • annaliza
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!!

Yea, I like this site because its free too lol.

I'm the same way...orally challenged....that's why I used to smoke. I still find myself chewing on things, especially pens, pencils etc.,,but at least it's not food lol. Now I use exercise to stop my boredom and oral fixation. Besides, I can't chew gum, it hurts my jaw and teeth lol

Good luck to you!
  • Lrichert
    Options
    Thanks..LOL.
    I too was a smoker many "Moons" ago and boy did I blow up after i quit, it has been 27 yrs since my last cig and i found myself recently thinking about a cig,over gum because of the sugar in t he gum..Crazy!!
  • Lrichert
    Options
    Thanks for your words of encourgement , i see you have lost 10 LBS so far way to go. I know I can do it . It is just so hard to break old habits. Right now I am in the office (Home) so that i do not get up and go past the fridge and eat.. Very hard, but one day at a time , I guess. Thanks for the support.
  • collinskb
    collinskb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hello, I am new.
  • katewalls
    Options
    Hello - I started this program about a month ago. It was going really well and I was very excited about the results. Then work got hectic, and I got sick (bronchitis and strep) and could barely breath never mind exercise. Two weeks later I'm almost back to where I was and I'm crushed. I just started back today. I know if I stick to it, the pounds will come off and my confidence will go back up. It is so discouraging to start all over again.
  • katewalls
    Options
    Hello - If you stick to it . . . it really works. I was amazed by how much I actually ate. As soon as I got that in check . . . the rest just followed through.
  • Briannah
    Options
    Hello and welcome!
    I have been doing this now for almost a month. This website is awesome.
    Trust me I know exactly where you're coming from.
    I want to encourage you to wake up everyday, put a smile on your face, and make yourself get up and go for a walk. Enjoy the sunshine, and fresh air. Start looking up healthy recipes also. Healthy food you can eat plenty of and believe it or not some of it is actually very very good.
    This is all a mind thing. If you can just focus on your goal, you can achieve anything you put your mind to.
    :happy:

Take care and keep us updated!
    -Jeannie

Thanks Jeannie for motivating me today... I was feeling a little worse for wear and was totally not feeling like exercising. I looked outside my window in sunny Sydney Australia and decided I am going to take your advice and go for a walk! :smile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hello - If you stick to it . . . it really works. I was amazed by how much I actually ate. As soon as I got that in check . . . the rest just followed through.

Same thing happened to me! Until I came to MFP, I'd tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, but I guess all I needed was to watch my numbers and "work with them" through better food choices (MOST of the time!) moderation (again, MOST of the time! :laugh: )getting some exercise, and drinking lots of water. The weight that I so desperately wanted gone, WENT! :smile: :happy: MFP REALLY, REALLY DOES work! So to anyone out there who's new, just stick with it, and it WILL work for you too! :happy: :smile:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am a young 52 year old woman who is an overeater, it is bad for me because of my Health History and past medical History. I joined to seek encouragement form a group like yours instead of driving to Weightwatchers since I am out of work. My problem is I enjoy food as most of us do and I have to constantly have either gum or food in my mouth. I have come to the conclusion lately that i am "Orally challenged". I am only 26 pounds overweight , but I can see where it is slowly getting worst daily!!
    Help
    Lrichert, Welcome to MFP. I usually post on the women 50+ thread. Come over and check us out. The woman there are so supportive. I don't think I could have come this far without their encouragement and support. I am a young 54 and as long as I don't look in the mirror, I feel like I'm a teenager again. I have more energy and weigh less than I have in years. I too was an overeater and still relapse. I LOVE food. It is the first think I think about in the morning and sometimes it's last thing I think about at night.
    Most of the time I don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because I like the way it taste or I just WANT it.
    But with the support and inspirational stories here, it helps me to stay on track. Good luck on your journey. We are here for you. And remember to drink:drinker: drink:drinker: drink:drinker: at least 8 glasses or 4 - 16 oz bottles of water every day. Rosemary
  • arleneevans
    Options
    hi everyone i'm new
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    hi everyone i'm new

Hi Arlene, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As for exercise, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: