Tips for drinking more water?

Options
ChihGirl
ChihGirl Posts: 17 Member
I don't drink nearly enough water and I know it! Though the recommended is 8 glasses per day, my max daily is probably 3 glasses. And it's not at all rare for me to have only one.

I know this is not healthy and will not allow me to lose much weight. BUT the reason I do it is mainly for convenience!! Though I probably never drank enough when I was little either, I've developed these really bad drinking habits since starting college three years ago. Last year I tried to up my water intake by making myself drink 2 glasses instead of only 1 at each meal (smaller than 8oz glasses). But after about 2 weeks I decided to take myself down to dehydration level again!!

Why? Because it made me SO thirsty all the time, and I had to go to the bathroom constantly! And neither of those fit my lifestyle! I even had to get up in the middle of class once to go to the bathroom. That's when I decided I was going to decrease it again.

And, I've noticed that if your body is already used to being deprived of water, dehydration doesn't affect you as much! So if I'm in a situation where I absolutely am not able to drink water, I'll still be okay. This has been extremely useful for me on long walks/hikes where the people I'm with are dying of thirst and having a really hard time, but my endurance is better because my body lives in 'survival mode' anyway. (In fact I am usually very prepared, and bring more water than everyone else, but they end up drinking it because I'm fine) I don't doubt that I would be able to go 2-3 days or so without water if I needed to! I guess I like that. But, living in the US, I really don't think I'll ever be in that situation.

I don't drink much but I rarely feel thirsty! When I drank a 'lot' I was parched 24/7, and it even disrupted my sleeping (as well as my entire waking life)!

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?? And do you have any tips on how to go about increasing water intake without the impossible-to-live-with 'symptoms'?

(Side note: Water is the only thing I drink, so it's not like I'm drinking soda or coffee or tea or anything like that-- I really just live on avg. 8-20oz of liquid per day. In fact, sometimes I even realize that I did not drink anything at all the previous day!)

Replies

• Pururin
    Pururin Posts: 16
    Options
    I've been slowly starting to increase my water intake lately. I've never been someone who gets thirsty very often, and more times than I can count I have to force myself to drink a little here and there because I can't remember when the last time was that I drank anything.
    I've been trying to get myself to drink more water since I usually drink some form of tea. The tea nicely covers up the nasty metallic taste of my tap water though.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Fill glass, lift to mouth, drink. Ala kazaam!

Okay, seriously, there's no mystery or trick. Just drink it. You know you have to, so do it. Get in the habit of having two glasses before every meal; it has the added bonus of making you feel full more quickly. Some people find warm water goes down more easily.
  • ChihGirl
    ChihGirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hahaha :laugh: Thanks guys!

In fact, I love the taste of water. So that's not it for me. :tongue: Most people I know say they don't like it because of the taste. But I love the taste and HATE soda, coffee, etc...

What I don't love are the effects. (Constant thirst, etc.)

Does increasing more gradually help with that? Or is it inescapable. Will you, without exceptions, be more thirsty the more water you drink?? (And do you ever reach a point of no longer having to constantly run to the restroom :blushing: )
  • reshi11
    reshi11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What about spreading it out throughout the day? Start off with one first thing in morning, and have a cup/glass before each meal? I add lemon or crystal light to mine. Or chill it. I find having a cup or glass every few hours work and it makes me less hungry.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you have a protein shake maybe mix it with more water or drink lots of tea to mix it up a bit or do what my boyfriend and I do we fill up like 10 bottles of water and keep them in the fridge and because we keep grabbing water bottles we end up with half full bottles everywhere around the house and you never forget to drink when its all around you! and always take a bottle of water with you when you leave the house and drink it when your watching tv or a movie instead of mindless eating (I zone into the tv show and always dont even realise how much I put into my mouth when im watching tv so I swap it for water!)
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    For me the frequent trips to the bathroom tapered off. You just have to give it some time, I have the same problem with the constant thirst, that hasn't gone away. It's sooo weird! Before I drank water I could go all day before I remembered to drink now I'm drinking a lot of water and constantly thirsty but I guess it's a good thing, it's your body telling you what it wants so listen to it! :smile:
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    For me I think the extra trips to the bathroom were when I added 8 cups of water on top of everything else I drank. I try to substitute water for coffee and that works much better. I also think you do not need to drink just water.

These are my thoughts on water

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dancingj2/view/what-to-count-as-water-171672
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I drink 8 glasses of water a day, about 5-6 days out of the week. Instead of drinking soda, or juice, I replaced it with water. I try to drink 6 glasses in the morning and drink the rest towards the night around bed time. It was hard at first drinking 8 glasses of water, but now it's not that difficult for me :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    When I leave the house in the morning I have two 16 ounce insulated cups filled with ice water and 1.5L of ice water in my camelbak. Its a lot easier for me to drink plenty of water if it is cold and filtered (tap water doesn't taste great in AZ). I think if you increase your water slowly, you can adjust to the increased hydration without having to go to the bathroom constantly.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Do more cardio and you can drink more water.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump..i can go forever without needing water
  • samib09
    samib09 Posts: 19
    Options
    I make sure i drink two glasses first thing before breakfast and then i set a alarm every two hours on my phone to have a glass.
    I also was rubbish with drinking, i could go a whole day with one or two drinks and i have really noticed the difference in myself by now drinking no less than 7 aday.
    I feel less tired and dont feel so hungry all the time.
    I think my body or brain? was confused whether i was thirsty or hungry?
  • brywal1
    brywal1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I learned to drink all my water by using a straw. I have a large water jug that I filled with 64 oz and that would sit on my desk next to a glass with a straw. Whenever I check email I would drink and next thing I would know I would be done 3 glasses.

Now, I drink a glass first thing in the morning and keep a water bottle on my desk and just drink when I'm thirsty. I (pretty much) always drink my 8 oz for the day.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying is you don't think you need it and don't like having to use the restroom more often due to increased hydration. Guess the only thing I have to say to that is, get over it. If you're not using the restroom several times throughout the day, your body is not functioning properly. Your kidneys need to have water to help flush out the toxins and give you urine. Every organ in your body needs water to properly function. So if you're not drinking enough, things will shut down. You may not notice it for many years, but you could really be damaging yourself from the inside out!

For me, I have a bottle or glass of water with me pretty much all day and just keep sipping. Yes, I'm thirsty, but often it's just a habit. I have a small break between tasks at work and I take a sip. Of course I drink a lot while I eat to help the food get to where it needs to go. Particularly after a workout I need to chug a little water to cool off and rehydrate. Yes, I use the restroom frequently. Every couple of hours on average (sometimes less, sometimes more). My urine runs clear all day due to all the water I drink (anywhere between 80-140 oz per day) and my organs are functioning perfectly.

The upside of drinking all this water is that my body is happy. My skin and hair are healthy and hydrated, my muscles are loose and ready to work whenever I'm ready, I sleep like a baby and feel rested in the morning, and overall I'd just say my body gives me back what I need because I treat it well. Not drinking water is dangerous. Slowly increase, keep track, and you'll be fine. But please, for the love of all that's good in the world.... DRINK your water!!!!
  • Rabbitfeet
    Rabbitfeet Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I always carry one of them sports bottles of water with me everywhere! And constantly sip from it all day. Whenever I am near a tap I always just refill what ever I have drank so its nearly always full. I am not sure how much water i drink exactly but it is alot...constant need for the bathroom :tongue:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have a 64oz mug that my husband bought for me for work. I have the convenience of a Cafe in the building I work in - so I have access to all the ice I could ever want.

I find ice-cold really helps to get the water in.

It took me a good couple months to get used to drinking it.. now I cant get enough! I do two-64oz jugs of water every day... my doctors LOVE it! They even asked where they could send their patients to purchase the mug also! 8-D

Try adding some fresh lime, lemon, or even orange that way it doesnt seem blahhhhh....
  • Llyrian
    Llyrian Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    For the first little while you will have to pee more, fore sure. But then your body gets used to it and adjusts to normal levels of hydration and you'll likely find that you won't have to pee as often with proper amounts of water.
  • carly_pear
    carly_pear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, I crave water now and the going to the bathroom bit seems to improve over time. Let your body adjust. You will feel better over time!
  • MintyStarshine
    Options
    I saw this picture on another website and thought it was a really good idea:

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m28bi2R0JD1qj4hmpo1_500.png
  • buttons235
    Options
    I aways have a bottle of water near me. When I was working in an office it was always at my desk and I found that I drank it without even realising. Take a large bottle with you at all times and have a sip here and there. It shouldn't be enough to make you need the toilet any more than usual but you will drink more than you realise.