For those who have tried laser hair removal..

Options
How well did it work for you?
Did you have to go back to get touch-ups in the future when all the sessions were done?
How much did it cost to get an area done?

Thank you, I'm considering it and could use the help.

Replies

• justavoice1989
    justavoice1989 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    ive had it done once for under my arms. i won the treatment so i dont know how much it normally runs. but i had to do 6 different sessions for the treatment to be completed and they said i would have to go back every 3-5 years to get it redone. but mine didnt even last a year. for me it didnt work well, it just helped with the amount that grew but i still had to shave almost once a week (i expected to never have to shave). that lasted maybe 6 months to a year after the treatment ended. but everyone is different. it might work better for you than it did for me! good luck!
    PS it might depend on where you get it done at. maybe underarm hair is more difficult? idk. =]
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I tried it, but they shrunk my cojones
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I had laser, it was expensive and didn't work well for me either, I hear that they now have to say it 'reduces hair' rather than permanently removes it due to that not being true in many cases.
  • dictations
    dictations Posts: 199
    Options
    Oh wow, Idk if it's worth it if it just REDUCES hair lmao.
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    I have been wanting to get laser hair removal too, and that is pretty disappointing that it just reduces and doesn't remove. :(
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    Really? I'm surprised that people have had poor results. I'm lasered just about everywhere. And yes...it hurt like a MOTHER having it done, but I have no issues AT ALL with regrowth. My legs, underarms, other unmentionables...all smooth as a baby's bottom. :bigsmile:
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process right now. I've only had about 3 or 4 treatments. I went after a friend had gotten it done. I'm practically smooth with very little regrowth already. They said it would take 9-10 treatments to completely eliminate it all. The lasers target dark hair, so if you are looking at getting blonde-ish colored hair removed, it won't work.

My friend has been done with treatments for over 2 years with zero regrowth.

Also, the place I am going has a lifetime guarantee. If for any reason another treatment is necessary, it's covered in the initial price. Mine cost around $2000 and in my opinion, completely worth every penny. I have senstive skin and any waxing or shaving really irritates my skin. Now I no longer deal with any ill side effects of other hair removal methods.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of having a full Brazilian done. I've had two sessions so far. IT. HURTS. SO. FREAKING. BAD!!!! Imagine your vag being snapped by a rubber band, over and over again. The first time I went, I squeezed a stress ball but still jumped every time I got zapped. The second time I went, I took 4 ibuprofen and a Xanax an hour in advance, so it was much more bearable (I still went home, put on loose sweatpants, and sat with a bag of frozen raspberries on my crotch for an hour though).

I have very thick, coarse, curly black hair (on my head and elsewhere, ahem) and very pale skin, and the difference I've seen so far is incredible. My last treatment was done 2 1/2 weeks ago and I haven't had to shave since. You have to wait 10 days after being zapped to start exfoliating, but once you do, the hair literally just falls out of the follicle. It's so cool!

For me, this is well worth the $200 or $300 I paid for 6 sessions (I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it was a Groupon deal). I had tried Brazilian waxing at least half a dozen different times and just did not react well to it at all--I always ended up with a horrific, white-head like rash all over the area, and then would get really deep, painful ingrown hairs after that. It was awful! Spending $50-$90 per wax just to end up looking like I had an STD was NOT what I had in mind. Plus, there was an unfortunate incident in which my boyfriend tried to give me an at-home Brazilian wax, which resulted in a jagged scar and a very embarrassing trip to the doctor. I stopped waxing and went back to shaving, but it just left me so itchy and prickly, and I still had the problem of red bumps and ingrown hairs.

I would highly, HIGHLY recommend laser hair removal to anyone with dark hair and fair skin. Best money I've ever spent.
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    I am in the process of having a full Brazilian done. I've had two sessions so far. IT. HURTS. SO. FREAKING. BAD!!!! Imagine your vag being snapped by a rubber band, over and over again. The first time I went, I squeezed a stress ball but still jumped every time I got zapped. The second time I went, I took 4 ibuprofen and a Xanax an hour in advance, so it was much more bearable (I still went home, put on loose sweatpants, and sat with a bag of frozen raspberries on my crotch for an hour though).

I have very thick, coarse, curly black hair (on my head and elsewhere, ahem) and very pale skin, and the difference I've seen so far is incredible. My last treatment was done 2 1/2 weeks ago and I haven't had to shave since. You have to wait 10 days after being zapped to start exfoliating, but once you do, the hair literally just falls out of the follicle. It's so cool!

For me, this is well worth the $200 or $300 I paid for 6 sessions (I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it was a Groupon deal). I had tried Brazilian waxing at least half a dozen different times and just did not react well to it at all--I always ended up with a horrific, white-head like rash all over the area, and then would get really deep, painful ingrown hairs after that. It was awful! Spending $50-$90 per wax just to end up looking like I had an STD was NOT what I had in mind. Plus, there was an unfortunate incident in which my boyfriend tried to give me an at-home Brazilian wax, which resulted in a jagged scar and a very embarrassing trip to the doctor. I stopped waxing and went back to shaving, but it just left me so itchy and prickly, and I still had the problem of red bumps and ingrown hairs.

I would highly, HIGHLY recommend laser hair removal to anyone with dark hair and fair skin. Best money I've ever spent.

I'm with ya'. best money I EVER spent!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I have had the same laser used on me (for reasons other than hair removal) and I haven't noticed a difference. Mostly on my face and I could never grow much facial hair anyway so that may be why.

But ehhh, after a few hundred times, it doesn't hurt so bad. It used to be much worse in the 80s when it was new technology. Now it's a piece of cake sinve they lengthened the pulse time and most lasers come with a cooling mechanism.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Had it, it takes several sessions and you do need touch ups - best thing I ever did!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of having a full Brazilian done.
    I'm impressed with your ability to type while they do it.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    I loved it. Yes, it only reduced the hair, but I had problems with bumps on my underarms and bikini region. So it was ENTIRELY worth it because not only is there less hair, it is also finer. Which means now I don't have any problems when shaving or waxing. But if your skin already reacts well to shaving or waxing, I wouldn't really bother.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Had my legs done. 2 sessions, and the hair never grew back.

That was over 20 years ago.

It probably depends who does it and how strong the laser is. I'd stay away from deals that are too cheap. They probably run the laser low to make people come back over and over.
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It works better for dark hair. I had a few treatments in Cyprus a few years ago, it worked well for a while but now I'm noticing it coming back. I don't think it's worth paying UK prices for, but if you can get it done cheap overseas then it's good.
  • tonicandgin
    tonicandgin Posts: 175
    Options
    to skinnymissmel....try Emla for your next appointment- its a numbing cream you get over-the-counter-it really helps!!!
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

That sounds excessive - how many zeroes are there in a brazillion ?
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    to skinnymissmel....try Emla for your next appointment- its a numbing cream you get over-the-counter-it really helps!!!

Odd, must be regulated differently in the States as I have a prescription for it.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options

That sounds excessive - how many zeroes are there in a brazillion ?

Um...what?
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the process. It does work best on fair skin with dark hair. The laser essentially looks for the pigment under the skin so if your skin and hair are too close in shade, it won't work as well. You also want to make sure you're getting a strong laser setting. I agree with a previous poster that some of the "cheaper" deals do use lower settings or older technology so it's not as effective. Do your research before you pay for anything.

Personally, even if it only gets rid of the hair for a couple of years, it's still worth it as waxing would cost me mroe over that same period of time (total).