how to stay on track?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been on MFP for a while but never posted or looked at anyone else's post. I figured I could just keep track of what I eat and it will all fall off....well it's not quite working like that. I keep track on 'good days', and not on 'bad days'. How do I do that, how do I stop myself from thinking before I put something in my mouth and keeping track before I eat, is that what you guys do? I exercise plenty, that's not it. I don't eat crap, I just eat too much and I snack. But I'm really keen to get out of this cycle of 'good' and 'bad' days and just want to think before I eat and somehow I can't seem to manage that! What's wrong with me, I'm a sensible adult in many other ways...:noway:

Replies

• Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Don't give yourself the opportunity to make decisions on the fly.
    Prepare your meals in advance.
    Log the foods you will be eating in advance.
  • Kidsrn23
    Kidsrn23 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with you. It takes time to create a new lifestyle. I joined in January as my resolution and charted off and on for a few weeks. Finally one day it clicked and I found myself wanted to log my food everyday. Some days I plan out my meals in the morning and chart them all at once and other days I chart as I go. I work night shift so when I make my "lunch" for work I log it in then so I can see what calories I have left.
    I still have days that are "bad" and I end up not charting everything I eat, but I have come to realize that I am just cheating myself when I do that. Having MFP friends to help keep you accountable really helps. I also feel bad when I hit 45 days and then didn't log in and my count started over:(
    Just try to do the best you can. Good luck.
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    Log the foods you will be eating in advance.

I do this to see how many calories I have left, it helps me decide what I should/could eat for dinner. Or if I know my dinner will be higher in calories, I can make sure to eat a lower calorie lunch or snacks. When I don't add my calories until the end of the day I have usually consumed too much or too little.
  • agrzybow
    agrzybow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan your meals. This will save you:

1. Money
    2. Time
    3. Heartache, after eating foods you hadn't planned to eat
    4. Calories!

Make a list of meals that are healthful and that you know how to make. Then, once a week, at a time that is convenient for you, make a menu for the week. Make a grocery list based on your menu. Allow for snacks in your menu that are healthy and that you like to eat! Grocery shop for the items you need on your menu. Pay, unload, and eat healthy for the week! Repeat. :flowerforyou:
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for 2 years, and am only recently comfortable logging every little thing I put in my mouth. Go easy on yourself, and realize that it takes a lifetime's worth of conditioning to re-learn how to eat.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, so true, planning is so important. Also listen to your hunger, so when do you get the urge for something you shouldn't or extra snacks, allow yourself the right suff then so you don't get really hungry and blow it. Do you have a smart phone the app works great for me, before having something i will check and often then puts me off. It takes time.