Body fat % analysis?

Options
I'd really like to have my body fat % properly measured. There's a place close by to me that offers the service and apparently they use ultrasound to do so. Has anyone ever had this done? Any feedback on the accuracy of it? Thanks!

Replies

• coopersmom2006
    Options
    bump
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I don't know how accurate this method is. By any chance, can you get your body fat percentage tested on a body fat scale or Omron Handheld device, prior to getting the ultrasound test done? This way you can compare the results.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I don't know how accurate this method is. By any chance, can you get your body fat percentage tested on a body fat scale or Omron Handheld device, prior to getting the ultrasound test done? This way you can compare the results.

Not sure where I could have this done at. No gym membership and limited funds right now. I have a scale that shows body fat % and I've done the online calculations but both of those numbers are no where close to each other so I'm totally confused. LOL!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I bought a $5 acu measure calipers, and according to lots of people thats the most accurate....
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I've heard something called the Bod Pod is accurate. Not sure about the whole ultrasound thing.

Supposedly the body fat scales and handheld electric devices arent terribly accurate.

Calipers you have to be trained how to do properly.

I do my own bodyfat test. I do a plank without a shirt on and look down...If it looks gross..I'm still fat =P
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Bod Pod. It's more accurate than callipers and definitely more accurate than online or handheld devices. The easiest, cheapest way would be to have a trainer that knows what they're doing use the callipers. The most accurate tests are the under water testing and DEXA scans.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I've heard something called the Bod Pod is accurate. Not sure about the whole ultrasound thing.

Supposedly the body fat scales and handheld electric devices arent terribly accurate.

Calipers you have to be trained how to do properly.

I do my own bodyfat test. I do a plank without a shirt on and look down...If it looks gross..I'm still fat =P

HA! Nice.
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've had the scale where you grab the handles and the bod pod. Woman who ran the scale referred me to bod pod bc she said scale often inaccurate. Seems to me, you can grab anything u want with calipers.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Get a DEXA test done. It's like an x-ray. It's the most accurate way to measure body fat %... even moreso than hydrostatic weighing.
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've done the dunk testing which is not fun and not pretty, but it does appear to be accurate. I don't know where you live, but here in California the company is called Fitness Wave.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Get a DEXA test done. It's like an x-ray. It's the most accurate way to measure body fat %... even moreso than hydrostatic weighing.

Isn't that one pretty expensive though?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Isn't that one pretty expensive though?

Exactly. For a BF measurement I'm sorry it's a little too pricey for me.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The important thing is that you keep using the same method to test your bodyfat. So, keep that in mind for cost.
  • randall774
    Options
    heres how you calculate bodyfat. its a bit Maths teacher-ish but its accurate.

multiply your bodywieght by 1.082
    add the result to 94.42
    once your calculation is done, save this number (BW x 1.082) + 94.42 as result 1.

Multiply your waist girth by 4.15 and save result as result 2
    subtract result 2 from Result 1
    the result, is your lean bodyweight (your body without fat)

finally subtract your lean bodyweight from your total body weight (total body weight - lean bodyweight)
    multiply the result by 100.
    divide this result by your total bodyweight = your BF %

so, (total BW - Lean BW) x100, divided by your total BW = BF%

long winded but it works and its free.
  • randall774
    Options
    sorry, should of said that weights are in lbs and waist measurement is in inches.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

add the result to 94.42
    once your calculation is done, save this number (BW x 1.082) + 94.42 as result 1.

finally subtract your lean bodyweight from your total body weight (total body weight - lean bodyweight)

I was hoping this was for real.

1) 112.9 * 1.082 + 94.42 = 216.5778
    2) 25 * 4.15 = 103.75
    3) 216.5778 - 103.75 = 112.8278 lean body weight
    4) 112.9 - 112.8278 = .0722
    5) .0722 * 100 = 7.22 / 112.9 = .0639504

So according to this my bf% is .06. Did I do something wrong or is this complete crap?
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

add the result to 94.42

2) 25 * 4.15 = 103.75

So according to this my bf% is .06. Did I do something wrong or is this complete crap?
    I'm confused as well... what in the world is the "total body weight" The first result? ...?
  • HokeyPokey2
    HokeyPokey2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

add the result to 94.42

2) 25 * 4.15 = 103.75

I'm confused as well... what in the world is the "total body weight" The first result? ...?

Looks like you got it right until step 4. It should be:
    4) 112.9 - 103.75 = 9.15 X 100 = 915
    5) 915/112.9 = 8.10451727
    * You have 8.1% Body Fat. You are skinny!!!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Dexa Scan is said to be more accurate, because it measures all the fat in your body, including the fat in your brain, bones and organs. Over a period of time, this method can be off as well.

Bod Pod is said to be accurate, but the numbers can be off, due to the temperature in the room or even if the machine has been bumped during the room getting cleaned. Your hair can get in the way of the results.

Dunk Test is said to be accurate, but it can be off as well. I've read a man's blog that had a dunk test done and he says they aren't accurate.

Calipers aren't as accurate as people think they are. The Accu Measure caliper is said to be accurate. It only gives you one site to measure and a card to look at. There's no way that's the correct body fat percentage. Trained people can even be wrong on body fat percentage. I have seen a youtube video, where a trained professional tested a woman's body fat percentage using a caliper and gave her a very low body fat percentage and the woman was bottom heavy, just like I am and there's no way that she had a 14% body fat percentage.

I trust my body fat scale and Omron handheld monitor. I've read where people have gotten tested on their Omron handheld monitor and then gotten a Bod Pod test done and the numbers were the same or 1% off. If my scale can give me my weight, it surely can give me my body fat percentage. If my body fat percentage is wrong, then my weight is wrong as well.

I don't trust online body fat calculators. I know my body and I know the online body fat calculators are wrong. They were giving me 25% body fat percentages and I know that's not my number.

Since you've said that you have a scale, test yourself first, before you to go get an ultrasound, bod pod, dexa scan or dunk test done and compare the numbers.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

add the result to 94.42

2) 25 * 4.15 = 103.75

Looks like you got it right until step 4. It should be:
    4) 112.9 - 103.75 = 9.15 X 100 = 915
    5) 915/112.9 = 8.10451727
    * You have 8.1% Body Fat. You are skinny!!!

I knew I was doing something wrong, but that still isn't right. Oh well