When should I start exercising?

Options
I am gonna start doing Jillian Micheal's tomorrow (Monday) I was wondering when should I do the video? Should I do it before or after I eat breakfast. Or right after I wake up. I never know a good thing. And can I still do my walks every night 6 hours after the video?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter what time you do it, it just matters that you do it
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    it doesnt matter what time you do it, it just matters that you do it

Totally.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    choose a time that suits you, set the alarm on your phone for that time, and do it.

Me? I'm a morning person. A friend sent me a text one morning at 6:20 am and as that was easy enough to get up and DO, that is MY time for the morning walk.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    Ok! I have heard that it is good to do it when you wake up. But I don't know. I can just never do anything right when I do wake up! But this babey is gonna do it! ANd I hope I can stick to it!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I just did it when I could fit it in during the day - I liked it best doing it first thing, but if I didn't do it then, I'd do it last thing!! The best time is the time when you don't want to do it but do it anyway.
  • jailee813
    jailee813 Posts: 29
    Options
    ^^^ this

Don't set yourself up for failure before you even start. When people first start working out, it a change to your routine, you are adding a part of your day that you normally didn't have. If you set it up to where you "only do your work out at such and such a time" if you miss that, you are more likely to get frustrated and then not complete it at all. Take it a day at a time. Whatever feels good that day, do it then :-D When exersice become more regular and it's a part of your every day activites, then start making a schedule, but until then, it's just important to get the work out in verse what part fo the day you focus on. Good luck and I love the JM DVDs myself, it's such a fun workout!!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You may have to experiment a little and see what works for you. I can't eat a big breakfast and then do high intensity. On mornings when I work out I have some protein shake, wait about 30 min and then start my workout.

Your evening walk might be a little more painful than usual, but the walking will probably be good to loosen up tight muscles.

I agree with the others - don't over think, just do it! :) You'll figure out in a few days what works for you.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    As above - it's important that you do it, not when.

BUT the hardest thing in all this is DOING, so if there is a routine that you can get into to help with this then all the better.
    For some, as someone says above, missing a regular slot can mean you don't do it all.

So figure out what works best for you, schedule wise, and be prepared for random deviations.

Also, from personal experience, I found myself more prone to injury when exercising first thing in the morning, as I'm not quite warmed up enough. Yea, I know I can fix that....

Good for you and best of luck!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    do it whenever is a good time for you, whenever you are more likely to do it and still do the evening walk if you can. For me it seems like I am more likely to get my exercise in if I do it as soon as I come back from dropping the kids off at school
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Whenever you have time. I just finished Week 1 Day 4 at 1:45am. I refuse to go to bed without doing it.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I found it easier to do in the morning as opposed to the evening - whatever you decide Good Luck!! :bigsmile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok! I have heard that it is good to do it when you wake up. But I don't know. I can just never do anything right when I do wake up! But this babey is gonna do it! ANd I hope I can stick to it!

Just find the best time that suits you. i would love to get up early and workout at the start of the day, but i am at work by 8am, so cant be bothered getting up super early!! so i do it as soon as i get home from work, before dinner, then i still have the evening free to do what i want.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I generally like to workout about an hour after a decent meal (breakfast or dinner usually) gives it time to settle for me. But like most the others said, whatever works for you! You can try mornings, if you don't like it then do afternoons or evenings. I have my set routine that works for me. Find one that works for you. And have fun, I've herd really good things about that particular program.
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    do it whenever is a good time for you, whenever you are more likely to do it and still do the evening walk if you can. For me it seems like I am more likely to get my exercise in if I do it as soon as I come back from dropping the kids off at school
    this! im starting 30 day shred 2 day also. dnt 4get 2 take a b4 pic and also take your measurements.:smile:
  • jlm_getfit
    jlm_getfit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    First off good for you! I started 30day shred on April 2 and I am on day 8 of Level 2. Obviously I don't do it every day because either I am doing some other cardio at the gym, or I need a rest day. Like others have said, don't set yourself up for failure by having a set time, just get it done sometime during the day. Regarding eating something first, if I workout in the morning, I usually have some type of protein like a hard boiled egg and a little fruit like a cutie (clementine orange) with a cup of coffee, then 30 mins or so later I work out. If it's in the afternoon I just make sure my lunch has settled before all the jumping around gets started.

You didn't say which JM video you are starting, but I can assure you no matter which one you choose, she will KICK YOUR BUTT! Don't be discouraged if you can't keep up, (that is what the pause button is for!) keep at it and it will get easier with time. I had a hard time walking the next couple of days after I first started because my legs were so sore. Now I feel much stronger and at I attempt most of the time to do the non-modified routines.

Best of luck to you in your fitness journey! Oh and yes, the walking is good too.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

so do it later in the day. honestly i think people worrying about things like what's the right time of day to exercise are pretty much setting themselves up for failure and setting themselves up for an easy excuse when they dont follow through. stuff happens in life all the time, so if you're going into this thinking "i have to workout right after i wake up" and one day sleep in, you're very likely to use that as an excuse to not work out later in the day.

just to commit to getting the work done regardless of the time you have get it done by
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do it whenever you can fit it into your schedule.

But I will say that I find, that if I do it in the morning first thing, I am far less likely to put it off.
    If you do it in the evenings and then you have something come up, you may decide not to do your workout.

First thing it just becomes part of the day that you do, plus it really sets you up with a good feeling for having done it, and you will already know what your calorific needs for the day are.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    do it as soon as possible, before the rest of the day catches up with you.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can fit it in. So long as you stick to it, it doesn't matter when you do it.

I do it in the afternoon, around 4pm. I have the kids sorted for a while, homework done, dinner on etc... and I can hop into the shower immediately afterwards.

You will be sore for a couple of days after starting more than likely, but doing the workout again helps the pain, and I'm sure your walk will too.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person and also have kids underfoot. Me and hubby have put aside 10pm every evening to exercise as its the best time for us.