Going for a curry tonight - suggestions please

Options
What on earth should I have? I have about 600 cals to play with. Chicken tikka?

Replies

• PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A dry dish. Something like tandoori chicken. Or something in a tomato bases sauce. Nothing creamy. Plain rice.

Debbie
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you're going with friends, why not just order 2 mains between 4 and have a little of what you fancy!
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    or u could just think wat the hell, tomorrows another day and throughly enjoy urself :wink:
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Not sure on cals, but I had Indian paneer curry a few weeks ago and it was AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS! curries are made with coconut milk and I think cream so it may not be a good option.
    If you only eat a little bit of your rice though, you'd probably be fine. I personally thought it was way worth the calories because it was an exotic dish I had never tried before.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    or u could just think wat the hell, tomorrows another day and throughly enjoy urself :wink:

*like*

You can't beat an occasional treat meal like this, as long as it is occasional.
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Saag Waala - made with spinach and tomatoes, no cream so very low in fat, and about half the calories of a tikka
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    What sort of curry place are you going to? Anglocised Indian, South Indian/Sri Lankan/Bangladeshi?
  • lalapurple62
    Options
    nooooo not Palak panner had it a while ago and then checked the calorie count....mega calories, try any curries that are tomato based not creamy, or dahl,and just plain steamed rice.....if you want to stay in control
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    tandoori is best as has no sauce, boiled rice, or go for sheekh or shami kebabs with salad and yoghurt and mint dressing (forget what is called). Failing that, tomato based sauces are best and spicy sauces increase metabolism so madras is a good one (or at least that is what I tell myself)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you want to stay within your cals, go for something dry like Chicken tikka or a tomato based curry with a vegetable side dish. Avoid rice / breads / anything fried / creamy sauces
    OR
    Do some exercise to earn extra cals and have whatever you want
    OR
    Have whatever you want, go over cals and count it as a treat day, get back to your plan tomorrow :-)
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    be sensible, you know what to do,

avoid all the extras, if you do want to try to be calorie conscious. id avoid the naans popadoms ect but if you do want them maybe just have a piece?

dry dishes are better than the ones in sauce so yes chicken tikka rather than tikka masala

and just listen to your body, recognise when you are full but enjoy yourself

this is part of your lifestyle change! :) xx
  • Wimbledongal
    Wimbledongal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Shelbyfrootca - We are going to a South Indian restaurant

I will have a look at the menu in a bit and work out the best options!

I would have this as a treat meal BUT its only Monday!
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oooh South Indian..yumm...Dosa...ha ha..lol..love those. Not sure about the calories though. I just want to eat a Dosa now. : )
  • paxleh
    paxleh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Losing 47ibs is a long game. Don't go crazy, but always keeping under target can be incredibly demotivating and I find having a little splurge every now and then makes you eat better the rest of the week and kicks up your metabolism. Ironically, my best weight loss weeks are when I have had a day slightly over target. I am not on a diet I am changing my way of thinking about food.

When having an indian, I eat my favourites but I share with my husband, don't over fill my plate, only have half the naan bread, and don't go back for seconds.
  • JohnBiggs
    Options
    Chicken tikka No Sauce, have a look at my diary! I love Friday Night Curry nights, which is what got me to have to join MFP...lol....No Naans with veg
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    What you can do is click on the food tab and then go to Database, type in Indian Restaurant and it will list various meals, as with all restaurants the chefs have their own way of doing things so the calorie count should only be used as a guide. But it's how you will log it later anyway so that's what will be counted :-)

Andy
    (How I did it Saturday night)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie so I can't speak for meat curries, but you can cut a few corners here and there...like no butter on naan breads, skimping on the rice a little...I have diet coke instead of beer.

Some veggie dishes could also favour you..a spinach curry could work, a dry paneer ( it's a cottage cheese type of dairy product). If it's south Indian, then a rosa ( large rice pancake) can also be a great option, or steamed rice cakes ( idli) with a nice light sambaar ( it's a spicy dhaal). "rawa" dhosas I think are slightly healthier, but I think south indian is way healthier than traditional,northern Indian food.

but have great meal and a good time :-)
  • shae_jo
    shae_jo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a South Indian so hope this tip helps! Here are your options for a low calorie meal:

1. Idli and dhal - light and fluffy rice cakes
    2. Dosa or masala dosa (masala dosa comes with potatos so its not necessary to order any sides)
    3. Some tandoori chicken or grilled meat
    4. Plain rice
    5. Popadums are fried so its best to avoid them, its okay to have in smaller portion but go easy!
    6. If they do Rasam try it! It's a healthy Indian soup made out of various Indian herbs and spices and very low in calorie as well. It is also very good for your digestion.

Or you can always have a workout and go for a curry later.. More calories to play with!! That's what I did over the weekend :)