Why are weekends SOOOOO hard???

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I am a creature of habit and I thrive in a scheduled routine. Monday-Friday I AM ONNNNN IT...but come Saturday and Sunday I'm so off!!! By the time Monday rolls around I am just about SICK from all the crap I have put in my body and the lack of working out! I would say that next weekend is going to be better but as it stands I am heading out of town for a wedding....gahhhhh. I'm sure others struggle with this as well....what do you do to help stay on track?? I need some advice or a kick in the butt....SOMETHING to get me thru! :)
    Weekends are demises for many because it's accepted as "I earned it, so I deserve it" attitude. Whether it's time off or time away from a routine, people have this mentality. It's habitual and once you change the habit, you can continue to stay on track.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this. I even give up my exercise on most weekends, which is ridiculous, because I have the most free time to get some great exercise in on the weekends. I think the first step, for me, is to try to incorporate more exercise-- hopefully fun stuff with my friends, like swimming or hiking-- on the weekends. If I'm exercising more, I won't feel so guilty about what I eat. And maybe I'll even crave healthier things just because I'm feeling "healthy" from the exercise.

I also feel sick by the end of every weekend. I'm lactose-intolerant, but I always seem to let cheese sneak into my diet more on weekends. It makes me very ill, but it's like I forget that every time before consuming it. I'm about to start carrying healthy snacks in my purse so no matter where I am with friends, I will have something low-calorie to munch on. Even if I am having a drink or something, that's a much better option than going out to get Dodge's fried chicken and potato wedges at 2 a.m. or whatever. (College, ugh.)
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    For me it's even worse - I end up drinking and smoking on the weekend, eating nearly double the amounts I would eat on a normal week day.
    During the week I eat 1500 and work out every day. This is really getting me down and I hate this cycle. Got to break it!
    I think it's true, we need to find a routine for the weekend.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I was having such a hard time with this when I first started in January. What I changed was to go grocery shopping on Friday's my boyfriend and I both get off early so we go to the grocery store once we're off and get enough for the weekend. We normally go grocery shopping for only 2-3 days at a time plus a weekly produce box from our CSA. So changing the day we go to Friday starts my weekend off great! We used to go Saturday, but we'd always be out of food by Friday and end up ordering out and that would just set me up for a bad weekend. I tried to adjust it so many ways, but this has been the only one that works, and it's been working for a few weeks now. So I essentially set my self up to go through the weekend with no problem! Good Luck figuring it out, I know a lot of people end up having this problem.
  • mmgrahamm
    mmgrahamm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't the only one to struggle with this! Thanks for all of the suggestions! It has given me a lot to think about. You are all awesome!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, I have to say I am opposite when it comes to the weekend! I love being able to spend heaps of time && not rushing to work out!!! They're always my biggest and best workouts! The gym is quieter than during the week and I can still have a sleep in and then head off to gym at 9-10am and get home before lunch and spend the rest of the day doing whatever! Or else I go in the arvo or night time! Love it. :smile: Sorry, can't help you!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    For me having weigh in monday helps, as I don't want to ruin it before then! When you decide you really really want this, they will become easier. I used be the same but then decided I'm sick of playing at it! X
  • Zero2hero2013
    Zero2hero2013 Posts: 458
    Options
    i struggle with the weekend alot too. i find it easier to stay with in the calorie limits if i fast untill the afternoons before eating. dont really feel hungry early so my first piece of food comes in around 3pm. after that its easy to watch what you eat and you can still splurge on some naughty things with i reason.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Yep.. weekends have been a challenge for me too because I am on such a strict schedule Mon-Fri. I feel 'lost' come the weekend, but one thing I have learned is to plan out meals and snacks the night before, the same way I do for during the week. Friday night and Saturday night I treat the same way as a Monday night, Tuesday night... etc. Get my food ready for the next day and it keeps me on track.
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of them as weekends. There are seven days in a week that you aim to be healthy and move your body. Don't have your cheat meal on the weekend, leads to you being more "relaxed".
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of gardening and hiking, so I'm always under on the weekends. Maybe find something active to do with someone in the mornings so that you've set yourself up for success?

Good luck.
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of them as weekends. There are seven days in a week that you aim to be healthy and move your body. Don't have your cheat meal on the weekend, leads to you being more "relaxed".
    [/quot i love this