Is it worth it?

Options
I've been eating 2 Tbls. of cold golden milled flax seed for about a month now and I'm just wondering if any of you use it. I mix it into whatever I'm having for breakfast most of the time, but I'm not crazy about the texture. I've tried mixing it into quiona, rice, steamed veggies, etc., but I still struggle with the texture. I'm just wondering if the benefits are worth the 60 calories.

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Maybe try it in a smoothie?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    you could eat other tastier fats such as peanut butter or mayonaisse.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I think so. I noticed a huge change in my (regularity) with it. And if you look up the nutrition info on the web you will find all the benifits of it. I just ran a search for " why is flax seed good for you" found all kinds of stuff. I put it in my oatmeal in the morning. When I have a protein shake I add it then too. I found a great recipe with chocolate protein powder, made with almond coconut milk and flax seed and some wheat germ. Tasted JUST LIKE and ALMOND JOY. I was in heaven. Hope this helps. Also I read somewhere that some people add it to their salad dressings and dont even notice it.
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    Probably not worth it, I'm assuming you're eating it for the omega 3 content, in which case, why not just take some omega 3 tabs or if you're looking for a more natural source some salmon or eggs? If you want to use it, maybe add it to foods.
  • mimyb
    mimyb Posts: 7
    Options
    Yea as Jarrod said, if you are using it for the Omega 3 factor you might be better off taking this in capsule form. But if you are looking for the regularity that flax seeds bring...I'd say it is worth it ;) I'm not a fan of the texture either, but I cook it up in my oatmeal and you don't really notice it (I use 1tablespoon)
  • katiedidd66
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I really think when this package is gone (or mysteriously disappears), I'm going to get my Omega-3 from a different source. Fortunately regularity isn't an issue.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yea as Jarrod said, if you are using it for the Omega 3 factor you might be better off taking this in capsule form. But if you are looking for the regularity that flax seeds bring...I'd say it is worth it ;) I'm not a fan of the texture either, but I cook it up in my oatmeal and you don't really notice it (I use 1tablespoon)

You may want to just mix it in at the end rather than cook it with, I believe the heat damages it.