exercise stall due to herniated disc. . . .

Options
anyone else had this? mri confirmed diagnosis on thursday. ouch. need to burn calories!

Replies

• MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. First it was finals now this =/
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    anyone else had this? mri confirmed diagnosis on thursday. ouch. need to burn calories!

Been there... it sucks... be patient with it or it will get worse.
  • KathyJSR
    KathyJSR Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is the one you need to be asking for specifics. But odds are there will be activitIes you can do - depending on the severity of the diagnosis. I have a slipped disc - have lived with it for 10 years. I can't do sit-ups or bend forward from the waist. If I clean up the yard or pick up things off the floor, I will feel it by that evening. However, I dance, walk, can ride a bicyle, hike (backpack), canoe, or anything that keeps my back reasonably straight.
  • activemom
    activemom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    did you just rest or do PT?
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It depends on severity of your herniated disc. When I first had the problem, physical therapy helped it for about 6 weeks helped it for years. The stretching really helped. Then about 5 years later, I reinjured it and it was to serious. I had to have a discectomy. I have been great ever since.
    You need to talk to a doctor about what you can do to help with the pain.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Back problems here. I always do PT when I have a major setback. It gets me back faster than anything else. My back has actually been bothering me lately. I have been icing and sitting or laying comfortably. I still do cardio on the treadmill and elliptical. I also do Jillian's 30DS but I modify like crazy to aid my back. so far so good. I do not want a major setback. I am making strides with my weight loss and I do not want to halt it. I always have to be aware of my back. If I'm not it WILL let me know unfortunately!
  • Lala20112
    Lala20112 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have been told I have 2 slipped disks in Dec 2011 did 5 weeks of TP and it really helped, but I can still move a wrong way and be in pain for hrs after even days . So my workouts dont included sit-ups and things with sharpe twists , but I can do lite aerobics,biking and dancing lifting light weights, if you havent been to the doctor you should really go only they can deterime your damage and what you can do as far as physical activeity. Good luck! :)
  • tiffpage
    tiffpage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you as I also have a buldging disc and have for 2 years. PT is good. Consult with your doctor. Invest in good shoes and a good mattress. Stretch everyday. Go online and look for a good DVD on yoga for back problems to give you some good stretching ideas. I now stretch almost EVERY day regardless if I'm working out or not. Avoid running but do cardio to get off extra weight. That will help with the pain. Lavendar baths also help. For weights you may want to get a trainer temporarily just to make sure you lift correctly. I'm now doing a slow based beginners yoga and it has helped a ton with strengthening my core. The more you work out and strengthen your core the less pressure with be on your back. You should also get an ergonomic chair for work.
  • Stevalli
    Stevalli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Benn there - It got so bad that I was referred to private care and ended up having the disc removed so that I could at least stand up straight. Take it easy and try not to agrivate it.

Good luck
  • activemom
    activemom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thanks to all. called PT today but can't get in until the 14th. ug. patience is not my strong suit. can't wait to be active again!
  • dbent80
    dbent80 Posts: 7
    Options
    Any recommended exercises I can do while healing for a herniated disc. Chiro gave me some stretches and simple exercises...i'd like to do more but I don't want to re-injure...I've started swimming but what else can I do?