What oil is the best oil?

Options
There's tons of information floating around about various cooking oils and I have no idea how to sort it all out.

Basically, I'm not looking for something super organic (yet), but more along the lines of something that would suppress bad cholesterol, raise good cholesterol, and wouldn't have hidden trans fats or be riddled with saturated fats. I've read that since TECHNICALLY certain products don't contain a full gram of trans fat, they can legally slap the "ZERO GRAMS OF TRANS FAT!!!!!!!1" sticker on their product, which means that I might be consuming tons of trans fat without realizing it if I eat the wrong foods.

My dad has heart problems and I'm 27 so I'm trying to keep on the lookout for foods that are bad for my heart pretty early in my life.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Great question! :wink: I hope you don't mind if I sit here and wait for an answer with you!

I just bought Extra Virgin Olive Oil because that's what I was told was the best. I've also heard of sunflower oil, but I haven't tried it yet. There are so many different opinions on this subject.
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    Coconut Oil

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Trader Joe's sells both.

Do a search on the internet on what oils are good to cook with and for our dietary needs. Both of these you can cook with them, put it in your hair as a conditioner...and on your skin. Again, do some research on both of these oils.
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    Olive oil is always the best, but even with olive oil there are choices.
    Extra virgin is the best. this is taken from the first pressing of the olives.
    But I always go for light (this doesn't mean light on calories) it's a lighter color and flavor.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i heard almond oil is good (i think i heard) lol
  • alexngbr
    alexngbr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    olive oil
    cocunut oil
    hemp oil

Personally I love the flavour of hemp oil
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Organic, Raw Virgin Coconut Oil - ticks all your boxes & is also great as a moisturiser too :smile:
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My wife likes to use Smart Balance, it's a combination of soybean and olive. It is also high in Omega 3 and is supposed to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    For readily available oils that tend to be easy to find:
    Refined coconut oil for high temperature cooking and extra virgin olive oil for low temperature cooking.
    Do not deep fry with olive oil because it has a low smoking point and it will break down on you.
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    Here's the nutritional info for one tablespoon of oil.

Oil Calories Total (g) Saturated Fat (g)
    Almond oil 120 14 1
    Avocado oil 124 14 1.6
    Canola oil 120 14 1
    Coconut oil 117 13.6 11.8
    Corn oil 120 14 2
    Cottonseed oil 119 14 3
    Extra virgin olive oil 120 14 2
    Flaxseed oil 120 13.6 1.3
    Grapeseed oil 120 13.6 1.3
    Hemp seed oil 126 14 1.5
    Macadamia nut oil 120 14 2
    Olive oil 119 13.5 1.9
    Palm oil 120 13.6 6.7
    Palm kernel oil 116 14 11
    Peanut oil 119 13.5 2.3
    Safflower oil 120 13.6 .8
    Sesame oil 120 13.6 1.9
    Soybean oil 120 13.6 2
    Sunflower oil 120 13.6 1.8
    Vegetable oil 124 14 .9
    Walnut oil 120 14 1.5
    Wheatgerm oil 120 13.6 2.6
    Butter 102 11.5 7.3
    Smart Balance Margarine 80 9 2.5

Some have a higher/lower smokepoint than others so may or may not be great for cooking certain foods...bottom line I think is personal preference...do you like the flavor of olive oil better than vegetasble oil..etc
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I use extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil for almost everything. I really like the flavor of both of these. Grapeseed oil has a high enough smoke point for almost everything I do. I use peanut oil for Chinese food and deep frying some things.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I mostly use extra virgin olive oil in very small amounts (where most people use a tablespoon or two of oil per person being served, I use a half tablespoon for me AND my husband's portion). I would like to switch to sunflower oil but it's not readily available where I live, sadly. My husband also uses sesame oil when doing Asian cooking.
  • m000nlover
    Options
    OLIVE OIL IS THE ( ONLY OIL )
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    all oils are good oils except for the ones such as corn oil and vegetable oil.. basically if you come across an oil that has a name of a food that does not contain fat (like corn, and vegetables) then it usually means that its trans fat cuz it was created by heating at high temperatures in factories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    For cooking, saturated fats are best or one that is high in saturated fat. What you don't want to cook with are oils high in polyunsaturated fats (omega 3's or 6's). I normally use extra virgin olive oil but I also use coconut, duck fat and palm oil on occasion. Refined vegetable oils are the worst like corn, sunflower, safflower, soy etc........
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Regular olive oil actually has a high smoke point. Extra virgin olive oil isn't for cooking, it's for topping.

I use olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, safflower oil, and peanut oil.
  • MintyStarshine
    Options
    If Omega 3's and 6's are bad for you, why are they encouraged for heart health and even turned into capsule form to be taken as a daily dietary supplement? I'm blasted with as much "MAKE SURE YOU GET OMEGA 3 IN YOUR DIET FOR YOUR HEART!!" as much as I'm blasted with messages about antioxidants, fiber, protein, whole grains, and not eating trans fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    If Omega 3's and 6's are bad for you, why are they encouraged for heart health and even turned into capsule form to be taken as a daily dietary supplement? I'm blasted with as much "MAKE SURE YOU GET OMEGA 3 IN YOUR DIET FOR YOUR HEART!!" as much as I'm blasted with messages about antioxidants, fiber, protein, whole grains, and not eating trans fat.
    My comment wasn't to point a finger at omega 3's or 6's as being bad, because their not, their essential to life, but these fats are extremely fragile and oxidize (rancid and cause free radical damage within the body) immediately when exposed to LIGHT, HEAT AND OXYGEN and n:6's are consumed to extreme excess, hense the national programs to increase omega 3's to try and bring that balance back to a more normal healthy state.

Mother nature intended for us to get omega's within a certain balance and generally it's within a 1:1 to a 4:1 ratio of n:6 to n:3 but since the invention of refined vegetable oils to replace the heart stopping and killer saturated fat [insert scarcasm smilie] we've been consuming mostly omega 6's, which is not good for our well being and general health. So, instead of telling people that consuming vegetable oil may not be the best course of action and considering the business's that profits from these oils (corn and soy mostly) I don't think that should come as a big shock, plus someone would have to admit they were wrong recommending vegetable oil as the go to fats for the last 30 or 40 years, not going to happen and why we're seeing omega 3's in just about every product that mother nature never intened them to be in, that in its self should make people pause and think about the bigger picture. To make it even more comical, the omega 3's that are being put in these products are plant omega 3;s mostly from flax, which isn't converted very well and is pretty much a waste of time consuming them...omega 3's should be coming from marine creatures where we'll benefit from the EPA and DHA where no convertion within the body is neccessary.

Anyway, the heat from cooking has the potential to damage the fragile oils we cook with, and on a scale from 1 to 10 the longer the fatty acid chain the more suseptable they are to spoil, go rancid and oxidize and when we look at the length of any fatty acid chain the type of fat will dictate how fragile they will be when heated. For example coconut oil is mostly lauric acid a medium chain saturated fatty acid with no exposed electrons (spaces that are suseptable to light, heat and oxygen) and mother nature also provided coconut oil with some pretty important antifungal and antibacterial properties to protect the fat within the plant from the tropical conditions that would otherwise completely spoil and the reason we see almost no omega's in these tropical oils and also why natural saturated fat has very little omega's and good reason to cook with it, unless of course someone believes saturated fat is indeed the scourge of the nations health.

Omega 3's should come from marine creatures and omega 6's should come from green plants, the way mother nature inteneded and not from grains and grain oils that seems to make up a very large portion of the nations diet and another good reason to consume a more natural diet......not rocket science.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is the best all rounder imo

Re: omega 3 vs 6 ratios - for those interested there is a lot of great information on dietary fats on Lyle McDonald's site: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/nutrition/fat
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot more cooking with plain old unsalted butter lately. Butter has stearin acid, another heart healthy saturated fat. Plus butter is much cheaper than coconut oil.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Trader Joe's sells both.

Do a search on the internet on what oils are good to cook with and for our dietary needs. Both of these you can cook with them, put it in your hair as a conditioner...and on your skin. Again, do some research on both of these oils.

Agree ^

8167326.png