Gaining weight but losing inches...

Options
Okay so I started this journey a week ago tomorrow. I lost a few pounds the first few days. I worked out every day last week except Wednesday. Yesterday I took my measurements and I lost an inch around the waist and an inch around the hips.

Today I lost another half and inch around the waist but I gained a pound. Please tell me it is muscle, and PLEASE tell me the pounds will start melting off soon. I want to lose 50 pounds! Inches are awesome to lose, but I want the pounds to start melting away soon...

Replies

• nekoxvampyx
    nekoxvampyx Posts: 163
    Options
    Its muscle. if your losing inches and gaining weight is muscle. So that's awesome!! and yes the weight will come off because muscle is what speeds up your metabolism which burns fat. Just be patient and keep going. :)
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    You are gaining muscle and losing fat, don't be too worried about it. The scale is just one way to measure things, and honestly not the most important way. Given the choice I'd rather weigh what I do now and lose another 4 inches than keep the inches I have and lose another 40lbs.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    She didn't gain a POUND of muscle in seven days.

The weight gain sounds to me like water retention.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Okay so I started this journey a week ago tomorrow. I lost a few pounds the first few days. I worked out every day last week except Wednesday. Yesterday I took my measurements and I lost an inch around the waist and an inch around the hips.

Today I lost another half and inch around the waist but I gained a pound. Please tell me it is muscle, and PLEASE tell me the pounds will start melting off soon. I want to lose 50 pounds! Inches are awesome to lose, but I want the pounds to start melting away soon...

It's not muscle.

Your muscles will retain fluid when you stress them so that they may repair and grow. Inches loss is great!!! Keep up the good work, and throw the scale out!:smile:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Your weight will vary on a daily basis. Honestly, you should focus more on losing inches. By losing inches your clothes will fit better and people will see it visually. The scale is an evil tool! It can be subjective depending on what you eat, what time you weighed, water intake, and a variety of different issue that will affect the number.

If you have lost inches already, congrats!! Again, don’t rely on the scale as it is NOT your friend!
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No she didn't gain that much muscle in 7 days, however, if she is working out her muscles they do retain ALOT of fluid to repair. I know it's frustrating when you want to see the scale go down, but the real goal is to look and feel better and you'll definitely win that battle if you keep it up and lose the inches.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It is NOT muscle. You don't gain muscle on a calorie deficit, especially in a week. It's water retention and normal daily fluctuations. You can't judge weight loss day to day. Weight can naturally fluctuate up to 10 pounds in any 24 hour period. Are you weighing at the same time?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you're getting smaller why are you worried about what the number on the scale says?
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the scales!

Honestly, I did not check my weight for 4 weeks after starting on MFP as I new it would be all over the place. Even at this stage I still only weigh in every 2 weeks.

Not seeing the results on the scales you are expecting is what brings us all down, and anyway, what were you expecting to see in under a week? this is a long distance race not a sprint.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle. You can't gain muscle that quickly.
    However, it is probably water retention where your muscles are repairing themselves and the FAT will start to melt off quickly (not the pounds, sorry).