calling all nurses!

hgirl1021
hgirl1021 Posts: 115
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
just wondering how many nurses there are here on MFP. thought maybe we could start a support thread!

i've been an RN for 3 years and loving it. I work full time in a hospital as well as part time in a drs office. i notived most of my weight gain happened when i started working in the hospital. so many patients and doctors would bring food as a thank you, that there was constantly BAD food lying around. before i even knew it, i was up 30lbs!! :noway: just back to work after 3 months of disability and it's been very easy this time around to stick to my 1200 plan and steer away from all those snacks lying around. has anyone else fell off the wagon from the joys of this profession? share your nursing stories!!

:heart: jessica

Replies

• I am also a nurse, but I work in the home health care field. I do 3 12 hour shifts in a row at one little boy's home. He is a quadriplegic with severe brain damage, seizures, and a trache. When he is healthy he sleeps most of my shift and there is nothing to do but sit, after my 2 hours of work related chores. I have gained 22 pounds in 6 months. It doesn't help the family is always trying to "feed me" goodies. However, I love my job and just need to adjust my eating habbits.
  • mindi_lou
    mindi_lou Posts: 8 Member
    I am also an RN. I work 3 12-hour night shifts a week. I agree with it being difficult with food around from patients. At least on my shift, we don't get food quite as often. Some people get upset that we don't get as much, but it makes it easier for me. I was doing great and having no problem staying away from the bad stuff, but I recently went on vacation and returning has been a little more difficult. We can do this! :smile:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    I remember working those shifts! In addition to food from patients and families, there is also added stress from working 12-h shifts, especially nights, and I found it very hard to commit to an exercise routine. Now that I have a Mon-Fri day job in a nurse call centre it's a lot easier to stick with regular diet and exercise. But I've just come back from visiting my mother in Germany - ouch! I'll give it a few days to see how much of the weight gain is water but I know some of it is "real".:embarassed: O well, time to get back on the wagon...
This discussion has been closed.