SO SORE!!

Options
I'm pretty used to feeling some soreness pretty much every day from working out. Today, I am so sore I can hardly move. It took every ounce of energy for me to get out of bed this morning! I kind of like being sore because it lets me know I am working hard but, is there anything I could or ::should:: be doing to relieve the soreness? I won't be lifting today and plan to take my dog on a walk on a long bike path.

Replies

• cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ouch...I hear you. I decided it would be a good idea to make up for missing the gym on Tuesday by going for 4 hours (spin class, body pump AND body combat class and cardio) on wendsday. Somehow I managed to make it back on Thurs for my normal 2 hr session...BUT, I can't move today. I am sitting in bed with my laptop! :laugh:

The only thing that has helped me is taking a couple of tylenol and slathering myself with tiger balm (its awesome). I guess this is one way to learn a lesson in moderation. Lol.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I so feel your pain! I did a Group Power (like body pump) last night after Kick (like combat) the night before where she tried to correct my form on my roundhouse and I said ouch that hurt - well it hurt worse last night squatting! I will have to rest today! Advil is my best friend today!

Funny when I had an extra 78 pounds on me I hurt all the time and complained about it - now I hurt because I've done it to myself and love it!!!

SUFFER NOW, STRUT LATER!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    SUFFER NOW, STRUT LATER!

Love that! In fact, it is now my motivational quote for the day. :happy:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It might hurt to start, but going for a walk is great for it. Doing some light stretching will help with not getting too tight and having it last for days. IBprofin is better for the inflammation than Tylenol but both will be of assistance.

Great job on the effort. I put some much effort into running a race lately that I haven't been able to run all week. I bruised my hip. Hopefully will be back on Sunday. :happy:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    MSM Always helps me. You can google it.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    icing and heat will help too
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I know some athletes that get a massage right after their workouts so that they can get the lactic acid build-up off their muscles before the stiffness and soreness starts.
    The first time I did the JM Shred video I was sore for 3 days, but I found by massaging the area and then "warming up and working it out" the pain decreased.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    It might hurt to start, but going for a walk is great for it. Doing some light stretching will help with not getting too tight and having it last for days. IBprofin is better for the inflammation than Tylenol but both will be of assistance.

Great job on the effort. I put some much effort into running a race lately that I haven't been able to run all week. I bruised my hip. Hopefully will be back on Sunday. :happy:

Yeah, I figured a walk would help. I have to take my dog to the vet for her vaccines today and there is a great bike/walking path nearby. Hopefully my dog is up for it after her shots! I will stretch out too. My back is the most sore because I did some different back strengthening exercises yesterday. I don't really like to take Ibuprofen because it hurts my tummy and it is also my TOM.

So you run races often? That's awesome!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    MSM Always helps me. You can google it.
    Just google "MSM"?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would do some stretching, maybe a little yoga. Other than that, rest and recover. Good work Lady!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Yep, or MSM - Methylsulfonylmethane - that's it's full name.

You can just go to a vitamin site and look at it there too. It's basically just sulfur - commonly found in rain. Our cells need it to keep the cell wall pliable and permeable so that the good stuff gets in and the bad stuff comes out - hence why it can help with muscle soreness - the lactic acid is removed from the cells more easily.

It's got the same toxicity as water (none) - and is relatively cheap. If you are serious about 'detoxing' your body, you can help with MSM - it just helps to keep your body able to function properly on the cellular level.

The usefulness of MSM which is touted for it's ability to help/heal osteoarthritis, snoring, and a myriad of things is disputed because there have not been many scientific studies done. I tried it and it honestly eased my sore muscles when I started running - I could hardly walk before I took it.

Your mileage may vary. :)
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Yeah, I would do some stretching, maybe a little yoga. Other than that, rest and recover. Good work Lady!

Thanks! I'm feeling some shin splints too. Kinda sucks but it reminds me of my track days!! :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Thanks! I'm feeling some shin splints too. Kinda sucks but it reminds me of my track days!! :laugh:

hey, you know what they say "Splints happen" (ok maybe that's not what they say...:tongue: )
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

hey, you know what they say "Splints happen" (ok maybe that's not what they say...:tongue: )

...somethin like that... :laugh: