GOING SWIMMING TOMORROW FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS HELP!!

Options

Replies

• Jenniflower76
    Jenniflower76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the pool, one of my favorite things to do. Although I'm not super confident outside of the water, when I'm IN the water I feel so much better! (any other can't really see you in the water) I also think the bathing suit does make a difference. I love wearing board shorts and a tankini top. The shorts feel more athletic for me vs the swim skirts, and don't balloon up when your trying to do a class, or swim laps.

Happy Swimming! :smile:
  • hall1751
    hall1751 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey,

My best mate has the same problem when we go together and I always tell her that she shouldn't worry what people think and if she does, they'll think more of her for the fact that she's trying to do something about it. Also getting in and out of the pool is only 10 seconds, that's got be worth doing the exercise and regaining your confidence?

Best of luck

:)
  • Jennaannwatts
    Options
    Thanks for the messages guys you are really giving me a confidence boost!! i am going to do this tomorrow!!

I will let you know how i am getting on x

I can do this!!! <333 xxxx
  • PhoenyxRising
    PhoenyxRising Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone said is absolutely true- you are doing this for YOU, not for them... so it doesn't matter what they think. Just get in there, have some fun and think of that awesome and FUN total full body workout you will be getting. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to swim and once you are in the water no one is paying any attention to you anyway... just got and enjoy yourself. You won't regret it.
  • jencornelius
    Options
    It sounds awful, but when I go swimming I always mentally point out the people bigger than me so I feel a little better about myself.

Haha! I always do the same thing. You just have to look around and acknowledge that there are people there bigger than you and smaller than you. Being in a bathing suit makes most women self conscious, but in reality people probably aren't looking at you as much as you think.

Good luck - you can do it!
  • wagmtcocom_pb
    wagmtcocom_pb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too started swimming a few months ago with my wife. It was tough to walk out of the locker room into the swimming area and wait for a lane to come open. I hated standing around smelling the chlorine, feeling the humidity and the worst part anticipating how cold the water was going to feel when I first jumped into the pool. I found myself getting really snippy with my wife because I thought everyone was staring at me. She became the catalyst to get me into the pool. I soon realized that fellow lap swimmers do not care how I look. If anything, the people swimming laps were helpful and encouraging in getting me started. Swimming has helped tone my body and rehabilitate muscles that have been injured. So go and swim. If you have longhair take a swimming cap and don’t forget goggles. Remember you’re not alone in your feelings about your body. We all feel that way but that’s why we joined myfitness pal…to get better ;).
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    HHHHHHHhheheheh OP, you sound like me! Last Friday I got a new suit and I said "Well, these boy shorts are about all I can do for these thunder thighs" LOL

In 2 weeks I am going to an indoor water park. I'm not real happy walking around in public in a bathing suit either, I never have been, even when I was pretty thin. I wish there were some better advice I can give you about confidence, but there isn't. Just know you're not alone in your uncomfortableness... The person who said they look for people bigger than themselves, sadly, I'm guilty,too LOL
  • bdubois63
    bdubois63 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    With those lovely eyes, who is going to look at your legs???????
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    I am a regular swimmer and if I have time to think about the other swimmers then I am not pressing hard enough. Sorry, I won't even know that you are there unless you pass me, and then it is only to wonder if I can pick up my pace.
  • JD830278
    JD830278 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If anyone says anything about my weight, "I can change my size, but can you change your negative attitude?". That usually shuts them up~

I always think the same when I feel self conscious... "I can lose my weight but you will always be ugly because of your personality"

Makes me feel better :)
  • Jennaannwatts
    Options
    With those lovely eyes, who is going to look at your legs???????

haha too sweet!!! if only the life guard could chat me up until i'm in the water. Pretty sure i wouldn't be thinking about anything else then ;-/
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    in the pool, you're weightless. Since I was a little girl, I always become a mermaid in the water. I just tap into that, ignore the haters, swim like a fish - find YOUR inner peace- it's not about THEM.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT.
    I Second this, your headed to the right place. Go for it!
  • jerrbear67
    jerrbear67 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Take full advantage of the swimming pool, it's probably one of the best exercises. Try not to think about what other people are thinking, just have fun. I wish I lived close to a pool.
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as your "before"picture to all of them....as you progress , they will notice!!! GO FOR IT GIRL!!!
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I always imagine the pool's going to be full of supermodels but it never is! I would never judge somebody who's clearly making the effort to get fitter & healthier, it's the women who just hold on to the side & chat that I judge! You are there because you want to be the best version of yourself that you can be & the way to do that is working hard, congratulations on joining the gym :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    First of all, like everyone else said, you are doing this for YOU! Do you judge other people who need to lose weight? I didn't think so! Do you think they are bad people? No, you dont. No one is going to judge you or make you feel bad about yourself. They are there for exercise too!
    I'm still overweight and I'm going to a pool myself tonight for the first time since last summer. I'm going in with the attitude that I'm going to come out of that pool healthier.
    I have seen a woman at this same pool who probably weighs about 400-500lbs and she works her @ss off water jogging. There is NO way I could work out as hard as she does and I admire her! If she is there tonight, she will probably be half her size from when I saw her last! People of all sizes work out in pools.
    Jump in the pool whatever way makes you happy.:flowerforyou: In fact after seeing your post, I just may jump in myself instead of using the steps tonight. lol
  • AylaBean
    AylaBean Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to realize that EVERYONE feels like theyre being judged when they bare down to swimwear. And people WILL judge you, but thats all down to a lack of self confidence from others. Hold your head up high and know that you are trying to be healthier! xx

This exactly!

I have really big thighs, and am not small by any means. If it werent for my husband and kids I would still probably not go. But I go swimming so often now.
    You just have to do it! Nothing will change inside your head that makes it easier until you just do it. And keep doing it. And soon enough you won't care what other people think.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    If you cannon ball in there your going to get the attention you don't want... just stop thinking about what everyone else is thinking and swim...