With PCOS is there a high risk i can be infertile?

Options
Hey MFP

I'm 23 and currently waiting for my hospital scan to confirm my PCOS i have had my bloods taken.

I haven't had a period for years, and silly me left it until i was confident enough to tell my doctors i was scared at what was happening to me. Because i have left it so long i am really really scared i could be infertile. If i loose the weight and live a happier life can your menstrual cycle begin to work properly again?

Replies

• Jennaannwatts
    Options
    sorry i am 24 haha its was my birthday a couple of weeks ago i cannot get used to saying it :-/ xx
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    With treatment and weight loss, there is definitely hope. You have to have no fear of the doctors if you want to fight this battle, though. I knew something was off with me when I was a teenager and didn't have regular cycles like my friends. Docs always dismissed it. Once I was in my late 20's and getting ready to get married and talking about kids, I really pushed it. I was finally diagnosed and started metformin. Do not give up on yourself and keep fighting. When going through fertility treatments, the doctors weren't very optimistic. I had a few very early miscarriaged, and we decided to stop. I also had a doctor tell me that no matter what I did I would be fat because our hormones work against us. Well, I managed to have two wonderful boys (after stopping fertility treatments), and I've lost 24 pounds in the past four months with no medications whatsover. So I did it all on my own. Despite what the doctors said! So you have to fight for yourself. Do NOT be afraid and insist that the doctors take your symptoms seriously. Ask questions, do research. Exercise, cut down on your carbs. You can fight the hormones!
  • Jennaannwatts
    Options
    With treatment and weight loss, there is definitely hope. You have to have no fear of the doctors if you want to fight this battle, though. I knew something was off with me when I was a teenager and didn't have regular cycles like my friends. Docs always dismissed it. Once I was in my late 20's and getting ready to get married and talking about kids, I really pushed it. I was finally diagnosed and started metformin. Do not give up on yourself and keep fighting. When going through fertility treatments, the doctors weren't very optimistic. I had a few very early miscarriaged, and we decided to stop. I also had a doctor tell me that no matter what I did I would be fat because our hormones work against us. Well, I managed to have two wonderful boys (after stopping fertility treatments), and I've lost 24 pounds in the past four months with no medications whatsover. So I did it all on my own. Despite what the doctors said! So you have to fight for yourself. Do NOT be afraid and insist that the doctors take your symptoms seriously. Ask questions, do research. Exercise, cut down on your carbs. You can fight the hormones!

What an inspiring reply Zombie, i see you looking very happy with your children in the pic!! i will do this for myself now i have a great DR who understands and will help me overcome this xx
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    I agree with Zombie. I was diagnosed about 8 years ago (before I was ready to have kids). I had irregular periods from the age I started. I was put on birth control initially and it helped with my hormone levels. Literally within a week that I stopped taking it I got pregnant with my now 5 year old daughter. Since then I have put on a lot of weight and we have been trying with no luck. Most of that has to do with me - but I went to the doctor back in March and was started on Metforim. Since then I have started eating clean and exercising 5-6 days a week. I have dropped about 35 lbs in 2 months. My cycle is starting to return and once I get to a healthier weight I will be starting clomid. You are young and you definitely have options. Do not be afraid to ask your doctors questions - and if you don't feel you are getting what you need from that doctor - see another one. I switched doctors and it's been the greatest thing I have ever done. I go back in for a 3 month checkup in June - and I can't wait!
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    It is definitely possible :) Good luck!
  • bkc38
    bkc38 Posts: 4
    Options
    It is possible! I've gone up and down with weight since 14 and have had PCOS since then. I am 26 now. The year before I got pregnant with my daughter I was able to lose 35 pounds and get my period and ovulation back! despite horrible pcos and insulin resistance I do have 1 perfect little girl! I am currently trying to fight infertility and weight in order to have a 2nd child!

You can do it!! Its totally possible!

~Brittany www.apcosmama.blogspot.com
  • wapanese88
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive words ladies! My husband and I have been trying for about 3 years now and NOTHING.. I'm 24 and my period has always been out of whack. I stopped having them altogether at 16 years old, and they didn't really come back until about 4 years ago. Even now they are all over the place. The last doctor I went to told me to lose over 100lb and I would get pregnant. He was a complete jerk, and I don't want to lose THAT much, but I am going to try and get healthier and see if that helps. It's awesome to see other women who have success stories of losing weight and having children. Thanks ladies!! =]
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It's possible to have kids. PCOS runs in the family, and all the women who have it have had children (without fertility treatments). I truly believe that anything is possible, no matter what the doctors may tell you.
  • LauraWall727
    LauraWall727 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I believe you can do anything you set your mind to! I was diagnosed with mild PCOS at almost 200 lbs. Although I am not trying to have any babies yet (wedding next summer, then babies) I was told by my OBGYN that I should have no problem getting pregnant after losing 60 lbs. So just believe in yourself!! Don't let the doctors scare you into thinking that you can never conceive, or that you will need infertility medications. Just listen to your body, eat healthy, exercise, and sometimes that is all your body needs to kick it back into drive!! Good luck ;0)
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    I have a loved one who was diagnosed with PCOS and endometriosis. She thought she could never have kids. She lost 45 pounds and TADA! she is pregnant and will give birth in January.

it is possible.

She also cut out dairy and meat for 4 years going totally vegan because most meats and dairy have high hormones which cause you to skip periods.