gonna join

Options
a gym for the first time ever in my life!! A little nervous, but excited at the same time. I have alot of weight to loose and becasue the weather has been so on and off here, I feel its the only way to get my daily excersize in. I need lots of encourgement and motivation that I CAN DO THIS!! Oh yeah and some confidence that no one will be judging the "fat chick" on the treadmill..:blushing:

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Most people in gyms have their heads so far up their own...workout plan.. that they won't even notice you. You'll do great :D
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Most people in gyms have their heads so far up their own...workout plan.. that they won't even notice you. You'll do great :D

True enough, or they're admiring their own reflection! I was worried about this when I first joined a gym to and that first day walking in was scccaarryy. But, you'll soon see that no one even gives you a second glance. However, people watching is quite interesting!
  • cjosenga
    cjosenga Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Remember, you are there for you, not the other people!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Excited for you and all the new stuff you are going to learn and do. Don't pay attention to others, I admire people who want to improve themselves! Best of luck, .... on to the new you!
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Don't worry about what other people are thinking. Most people at the gym are focusing on themselves and aren't paying any attention to anyone else. This may sound selfish, but when I go to the gym, I don't pay attention to anything around me. I don't talk to anyone, I don't look at anyone. I just do my thing and focus on myself. It's literally the only time I get to myself during the day and I savor it. Enjoy your time at the gym. It's YOUR time!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Well done, hopefully once you get over your initial nerves and work out how to work the equipment you will learn to love the gym.

Last summer I was that fat chick who did not know her way around the gym. Now I am in there 5 days a week and trust me on this, I am looking good :glasses:

Just remember if you need some advise. don't be afraid to ask the staff, they want to see you succeed. And if you can afford it, get some private lessons with a PT who can teach you to lift weights as the results you will get are worth it.

Again, congrats on taking that first step.
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I felt that way when I started going to the Gym. The way i look at it. They can judge me all they want (i dont think most people are judging anyway too busy doing their own thing) but it is better to be doing something and improving yourself, than to be doing nothing at all. I do treadmill and eliptical. I also do Zumba, big or small it is fun for all :)
  • terrirz
    terrirz Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the encouragement!! :)