Does the 30 day shred bother anyone else's knees?

Options
2»

Replies

• ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ive never had knee problems before.. started 30ds last week and I have noticed that the knee circles in the warm up are what's making my knees hurt so I just miss them out now and they feel fine.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the only guy using this DVD on here lol. I'm up to day 3 on level one. I'm gonna use it every day (hopefully) so far my knees are fine, but dear god do my *kitten*, thighs and calve know that they've had a work out lol. I was really proud of how fit I thought I'd got until I started this lol.
    I'm dreading stage 2, and I've not even watched it yet lol.

Keep it up everyone, anything that makes you feel like this afterwards has to be doing us good :)

you are not the only bloke doing it! lol i do it if i don't make it to the gym,with 15 mins of jump rope after, (refuse to call it skipping that would just be too much!) :laugh:
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get a bit of a twinge in my ankle occasionally, but my knees are fine - its the boobs that hurt when I'm doing the jumping - don't really want to knock myself out with them!! :laugh:

I do the dvd in my living room, without shoes, just on carpeted floor, so maybe thats whats causing the twinge in my ankle? Who knows!
  • danielle1983cov
    Options
    It does hurt my knees: the first time I ever tried 30ds they were awful! Now I have re-started it (about 4 times cos I get so bored of it!) they aren't so bad, but I do get awful griding in my knees still on the front lunges. Lots of people say it's best to do it every other day. The warm up/cool down Jillian does is definitely not enough - especially in the beginning!

Just be careful! She is a slave driver! :wink:
  • JacksMommy2011
    Options
    My knees used to bother me too until I found out I wasn't doing squats or lunges the right way. Make sure your knee does not go past the front of your foot - if your knee goes past your feet, you are putting too much pressure on your knee. I tore my menincus this way and had to have surgery.

If the cardio is bothering you, I'd take a break or march in place but just keep moving for that portion. Doing the exercises every other day is a good idea.
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do so enjoy reading other people's comments. I did 30ds for the first time last nite. I thought, omg, what an elephant trying to do jumping jacks. I probably havent done one in over 15 years. I too have a bum knee and a bad achilles, but I gave it my all. I am quite sore this morning and somewhat dreading the punishment later today :) ... but, as they say, no pain, no gain!
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It's my calves that hurt me, ALOT! They began to hurt around level 1 day 8 and im now on level 2 day 4 and they still hurt :(
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 7 of level 1 and my legs have been cussing me since day 1 and my right knee since day 2 or 3... I modified it for a few days with just leg lifts but then decided to try a knee brace and it has helped the last 2 days.. I did this whole video last summer without pain and had great toning results... we just have to stick with it!!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Well, I do the video in my living room, which has carpet, and I wear my good runners. I can do the cardio, it just bothers my knees with certain ones (jumping jacks and jump rope). Maybe I'll invest in a knee brace and see if that helps. I've always had bad knees, riding a bike makes them feel like they are on fire and going to blow up. It's apparently arthritis, *sigh*. Maybe I'll try doing the video every other day and on the off days I'll do my own strength training circuit I was doing before starting the video. My thighs and *kitten* were pretty sore the first couple of days but they're feeling much better now.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The first 3-4 days SUCK!! Your so sore from the days before it makes it harder the next time. But, it does get easier. That jump in endurance she talks about is a real thing. I did day 5 friday night and noticed a BIG differance.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This program does not bother my knees, but when I started other kinds of exercise (like running), it was pretty painful. Basically it is your body telling you that you are out of shape, and in need of some work. The more you work out, the more you will be able to handle it. I still hurt sometimes, but nothing like before. I see it as my punishment for being so chunky haha. I had a doctor recommend taking 2 advil about an hour before I work out, and that did wonders. I don't need it anymore, but it got me through the beginning, and most painful stages.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section 7 weeks ago, so I'm doing modfied jumping jacks.. one leg at a time, but keeping the pace with Jillian. Maybe that's why my knees arent bothering me too bad.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    it bothered me too. i ended up having to quit.
    and that was around the time i had the most motivation too, i didnt even want to quit.
    i had been running (up stairs too) for my work out around that time, so maybe that put extra stress on my knees.
    i bought a small wrap type thing that helped a bit, but mostly it just made me sweat a lot.
    i have also worked manual labor jobs for the past 5 years so that may have something to do with it.
  • Ginsuguy
    Ginsuguy Posts: 6
    Options
    As you probably know, joint pain is quite different from muscle pain and not something you should 'push through'. There have been some great suggestions about better shoes, mats, and braces etc.

I have weak knees and noticed after a couple days my knees were really achy and wanted to give out on me going up the stairs. I began modifying the moves to lower impact moves I could handle. I would start each move doing 1 or 2 advanced and the remainder modified. I did the shred only about every other day, and about once a week, I would add 1 or 2 more to the set advanced version, and then do the remainder modified.

It has taken me a LOT longer than 30 days, but it is the only workout disc I have, and don't really have the money to try a bunch of other stuff. I have worked my way up to the 3rd level and I can do most of it advanced. My knees are stronger than they have ever been, and so are my arms, legs, abs & glutes! Good luck to you!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Well, I did day 4 with no jumping jacks or jump rope. I just jogged in place instead and it was MUCH better. So I think instead of those I'll just jog or something to do the cardio part.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bothered mine at first then discovered it was my shoes! No problems now. Knees are feeling much better.
  • WyleSpice
    Options
    My knees hurt but I think it is from the lunges.
  • Pudgeroll
    Options
    I am on day 5 of level one and my knees hurt. Muscles around my knees hurt and up a little on my upper leg it continues to hurt. I have had knee surgery and wonder if it is wise to continue to try and do this! I am kind of bummed because over-all I love the workout. Today I cannot kneel at all. Ouch!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It has definitely bothered my knees. I think it's due to my weight. I just make sure there is at least 24 hours in between 30ds workouts and that gives my knees time to heal before stressing them again.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    As you probably know, joint pain is quite different from muscle pain and not something you should 'push through'. There have been some great suggestions about better shoes, mats, and braces etc.

^^^ THIS

Jogging instead of jumping is not a bad solution.