Lowering calorie intake without being hungry all the time?

Options
Hi, I'm trying to lose weight by lowering my caloric intake and being more active. Before deciding to be more healthy, I counted my calories for just over a week, and I consume ~2,300 every day. (I'm a 5'7" girl). I would like to reduce that number, but I've found it quite difficult.

I've been eating pretty healthy (I eat either oatmeal or hard boiled eggs for breakfast, tons of fruits and veggies, no fried foods, etc), but I've found that even though my food choices are healthier, I'm still eating the same amount of calories. Whenever I try to get down to the 1,600-1,800 range, I feel deprived. I've tried drinking more water and eating more 'filling' foods, but no more than a couple of hours later, I'm hungry again.

Please help?

Replies

• jweymann
    jweymann Posts: 5
    Options
    i have the same problem!
    i have to eat breakfast before 0630 andim STARVING by lunch.
    recently ive been drinking protein for breakfast.
    yeah it has quite a bit of calories, but you start off with protein and it really keeps me full.
    theres plenty of yummy kinds too.
    hope this helps!
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 hours or so and I eat smaller meals it helps me from getting that starved feeling and it helps to keep my blood sugar more consistent. I to am 5 7. Instead of trying to drop suddenly to 1600-1800 calories a day try cutting back 200 cal for a week and then the next week cut back another 200 cal.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Go low carb. Since I went low carb, I struggle to get in the daily calories MFP gave me as a goal.
  • felicity_phillips
    Options
    Drink lots of water! I always drink water (usually about 10 or 11 glasses a day) and I am always struggling to reach my daily intake goal for the day.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think it takes time to get used to it. Maybe you're going to low too fast. Your body will get used to it. But I do know what you mean, if I just try to jump into my lowest calorie level after not dieting I feel super hungry. But now I eat 1200 and feel fine. Just keep logging those calories, logging actually really does help.
  • kimmers1027
    kimmers1027 Posts: 122
    Options
    I am also 5'7" and eating 1250 calories a day. At first I felt hungry but now I am totally use to it and sometimes have a hard time eating the 1250. When I go grocery shopping, I check calories on everything I buy before I buy it. I eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. You can do it !! Ive been on this site about 2 1/2 weeks and it has helped me a ton. Good luck !!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest dropping your calories gradually. Instead of dropping from 2300 to 1600-1800, drop to 2000 for a week or two, then to 1800 and then, if you need to, drop from there. But at 5'7" you'll probably lose at a good rate with 1800 calories.

Dropping 200-300 calories from your diet is going to be less noticable than 500-700.
  • callady10
    Options
    I am 5'5". In January I weighed in at 212 lbs. I started eating natural whole foods only and cut out all unnatural sugar. No processed foods either. I eat 6 meals a day and drink about 130 oz of water a day. I eat roughly 1600-2000 calories a day and have lost 31 lbs since January 9th. It's all about the choices in your food.

Number one...ditch artificial sweeteners and sugars. That means also ditching all diet drinks, fruit juices, sweetened teas, etc. Empy calories right there.

Secondly, eat a protein at every meal. If you are eating fruits or veggies by themselves you will spike your blood sugar and you will be hungry shortly after. Throw in a handful of almonds and you're set.

Thirdly, add some resistance training to your workouts. It's a proven fact muscle burns fat. the more muscle you build, the more fat you burn.

Last but not least.....DO NOT CUT CALORIES below 1400 unless you are morbidly obese and can't walk.....your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to weight. Do some research on how Sumo Wrestlers gain their weight....they don't eat!!!
    And give it at least 4 wks for your metabolism to kick in.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying to lose weight by lowering my caloric intake and being more active. Before deciding to be more healthy, I counted my calories for just over a week, and I consume ~2,300 every day. (I'm a 5'7" girl). I would like to reduce that number, but I've found it quite difficult.

I've been eating pretty healthy (I eat either oatmeal or hard boiled eggs for breakfast, tons of fruits and veggies, no fried foods, etc), but I've found that even though my food choices are healthier, I'm still eating the same amount of calories. Whenever I try to get down to the 1,600-1,800 range, I feel deprived. I've tried drinking more water and eating more 'filling' foods, but no more than a couple of hours later, I'm hungry again.

Please help?

Here's what I did, your mileage may vary.

- I start eating "lunch" around 10:30-11 when I start getting hungry. I eat little bits at at time, and pretty much snack once an hour most of the day. I pack my lunch, so I can focus on having the calories available I need to get through the day.
    - I started tracking all the components of calories (fats, proteins, and carbs). Carbs (the oatmeal and fruits you mention) made up too much of a percentage of my diet, and I wasn't eating foods that satisfied hunger and KEPT IT SATISFIED for any length of time. I cut out some fruit from my diet and added some fats and proteins, and I'm a lot less hungry now.
    - Exercise = extra food you can eat. I upped my workouts so I could afford bigger suppers.

Here's my regular diet:
    - Breakfast: One-half bagel with cream cheese, coffee, 2 fish-oil pills (my wife is into that sort of thing, it's only 25 calories). The carbs in the bagel get me going, the fats and proteins in the cream cheese give the small breakfast some lasting power.
    - First hungries 10-11AM: Half a wheat tortilla with turkey, cheese, and mustard. Has some fats, proteins, and a few carbs.
    - +1 hour: The other half of the wrap.
    - Lunch-ish: Workout for 30-45 minutes minimum, followed by a banana (sugars + potassium, great recovery food).
    - + 1/2 hour: 1/8 cup mix of sesame sticks, almonds, walnuts. Big quart bag full of veggies.
    - Afternoon snackies: 1 apple and 1 piece of citrus.

Supper is whatever I can "afford" with my remaining calories. With a light/no workout day, it's a sparse meal focused on proteins and fats that keep me satisfied overnight. With a moderate/heavy workout day, it includes a glass or two of wine, and maybe a few dark chocolate chips for dessert. On a cycling day when I've had more than 2 hours in the saddle, it's a big meal and I still leave 1000-2000 calories uneaten.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Number one...ditch artificial sweeteners and sugars. That means also ditching all diet drinks, fruit juices, sweetened teas, etc. Empy calories right there.

I don't see how anything with zero calories can be called "empty calories."
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5". In January I weighed in at 212 lbs. I started eating natural whole foods only and cut out all unnatural sugar. No processed foods either. I eat 6 meals a day and drink about 130 oz of water a day. I eat roughly 1600-2000 calories a day and have lost 31 lbs since January 9th. It's all about the choices in your food.

Secondly, eat a protein at every meal. If you are eating fruits or veggies by themselves you will spike your blood sugar and you will be hungry shortly after. Throw in a handful of almonds and you're set.

Thirdly, add some resistance training to your workouts. It's a proven fact muscle burns fat. the more muscle you build, the more fat you burn.

Last but not least.....DO NOT CUT CALORIES below 1400 unless you are morbidly obese and can't walk.....your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to weight. Do some research on how Sumo Wrestlers gain their weight....they don't eat!!!
    And give it at least 4 wks for your metabolism to kick in.

Totally agree about the first part of your post (diet soda may not have calories but those sweeteners are not good for you) except, can you post a medically or scientifically verified source that says your body will go into starvation mode? I've never been able to find one. I also couldn't find that sumo wrestler diet you mentioned, it sounds very interesting. Could you post a link?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Increasing your protein intake is a biggie. It'll stop you feeling hungry sooner than the other macro-nutrients . Other than that choose foods which are low energy density so you can eat more of them.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I take in around 1390 cals per day and am never hungry. I do go over now and then, but generally stay within that mark.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I starved the first 2 weeks cutting back to 1500 calories a day! but i promise it gets much better. drink lots of water and if ur stomach is growling eat a little something..wait and c if your still hungry. my fav filler was whole wheat tortilla w/ 1 tbs peanut butter and banana..i would eat half and half at snack. it really filled me up.
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    what you need to do is eat foods with a low GI. Foods high in GI send a chemical signal to the brain and you get irrational feelings of hunger even if your body doesnt need anymore food.

IVe found that portion control with food that has a high GI is very difficult because it leads you to feel hungry every time even when your not

Try foods high in protein like egg whites, chicken, ect. I also like to have bowls full of steamed veggies (no oil) When I stuff myself with veggies I feel so full.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting the most bang for your calorie buck. With fewer calories to work with, you really need to make them count.

Protein, complex carbs, healthy fats, and fiber .... ALL of these help keep you full longer. Cut out anything processed, white flour, added sugars, as much as you can.
  • anrebr88
    anrebr88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When you are hungry go for something crunchy like an apple or celery for a snack. Low calories plus heatlhy for you.

In the morning I normally eat a Lara Bar (high calorie and high protein) but usually that's all I eat for breakfast and I feel fine. I've been on here about a month now and I love that it tracks exercise and foot intake. It's great and once I see what I've eaten all day I tend to do better.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Nutrient Dense foods keep you full longer, I found once I started eating more "nutrient dense" foods the less I focused on eating... oddly enough I enjoy food more now...
    I won't waste calories on something I don't enjoy.
    I haven't banished any snack foods or treats.
    I just don't over indulge like I used to and enjoy it more because it is a "treat" and eat it less often.

While proteins and fats (happy fats... plant based) appear to pack a lot of calories for the quantity you get to eat. A small amount will keep you satisfied longer. So it may be a better balance for you .

Remember BOTH sugar AND artificial sweeteners increase your appetite, i find cutting back on them makes weight loss easier, because I'm not hungry all the time. If I have a DIET COKE, no way I can keep at 1200 cal.

More foods now than ever before have hidden sugars in them and are sold as "real foods"
    If I'm going to eat the sugar I want a cookie, gosh darn it!

Food manufacturers add a lot of sugar under a lot of different unrecognizable names into products, because it's cheap and it increases your appetite, so you eat/buy more.

(I picked up a lean cuisine one evening forgot to check the sugar went to enter it to find out it had 30g of sugar, now
    A) I only get 25g a day,
    B) my favorite cookies are 9g for 15 cookies. If I'm going to eat sugar I want to enjoy a treat!!!

Prepared pasta sauces often have a lot of sugar. The brand I'd been using had 9g for a 1/2 cup serving. So I switched to plain canned tomato sauce and added my own spices, my last trip to the grocer I notice the sugar went up from 1g to 3g. I check the ingredients and now find they've added corn syrup.(grrr!). Also watch out for yogurts they're usually very high in sugar, buy plain and add a little hershey syrup or jam or cukes & dill at least YOU will be controlling your intake.)
  • callady10
    Options
    Did you see that I also mentioned fruit juices and sweetened teas or just the diet soda part? And the diet soda is nothing more than a chemical wasteland. I'm giving advice on what works for me.....if it's not in your game plan to do that, then don't.
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love to add sweetner to my coffee and tea. (All my drinks are mostly calorie free.) In fact I love sweets! I do find when I drink sweet things, I want more of them. For me it's kind of like eating bread or carbs. When I start, I want more. It's easier if I just say no to begin with. If I drink water, I don't really have the sweet drink craving.