need help with exercise

Options
I have a bulging disk in my back and can't walk for exercise. I've always walked about three miles a day. Now when I walk I don't sleep at night because of pain. Need some suggestions on some exercises I can do. I swam this summer but it was starting to cause pain also, but I might keep doing that. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• blakgarnet
    Options
    what about a recumbent bike? my gym has a few and they're really comfortable and take all the stress off your back.
  • bikermama
    Options
    water exercise is still your best option. try just walking for 30 minutes in the pool and work up. you might also try a silver splash or arthritic water class which would also be easier on you joints and back. if you try a regular water aerobics class be sure and tell the instructor about your back problem and she can modify exercises or tell you something else to do that would give you a workout without stressing the back.
  • annaliza
    Options
    *hugs* you poor thing! My husband has back problems too and I see him in so much pain...it's so sad....I really feel for you!

I agree that swimming is your best option. That would give you "the most bang for your buck".
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Advice about this depends greatly on which vertebra are affected. If it's the Lumbar region then you need to do non-weight bearing, if it's the middle or upper back then you just need to worry about non-impact and medium to low intensity exercises that don't force you to bend, swimming usually does help, but also, the concept of RICE is very important for bulging disks (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation), many people do the first two and it works for them, but forget to use compression, especially when working out, of course, get the advice of a physical therapist who is familiar with your injury specifics first, but compression when you work out, and elevation (weird I know, but yes, laying inverted slightly will help your back, many even claim hanging upside down is a big help as it relieves the stress by plain old gravity on the spine). You can use compression by using a "bodice" type back wrap, there are many out there that compress the mid section, ask your therapist if you need a good name brand.

Again, I can't stress enough, to seek out the advice from a qualified physical therapist, we're not experts, we can only go on layman's information and experience, which may or may not be right for you!
  • kido
    kido Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise & hugs. I appreciate it.
  • mandytinch
    Options
    whats the best exercise for a busy mom.. id like to see results sooner than later.. im also a 20yr. diabetic so anything would be good..
  • hopeandfaith24
    Options
    i am in the same boat as you. two of my discs in my back are sitting on top of each other, and i can't really exerise anymore either. i walk about 45 minutes a day and try and do some other exercises on the days that i don't go to physical therapy. i only go to pt twice a week, but after that i am worn out. i am looking into getting a bike, since it doesn't put a lot of pressure on my back. i used to swim competitively, but now it bothers my back to just swim regularly. i just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! we can all get thru this one day at a time.

hope&faith