28 years old with a lot to lose!

Options
bob6702
bob6702 Posts: 10 Member
I'm intrigued by how positive and awesome this community seems to be, and I'd like to throw my hat into the ring.

I hate using the term, but I'm an obese man. I'm about 200 pounds over my "recommended BMI." I've been a big guy all my life...I was an offensive lineman in my high school football days, so overeating was both a habit and a necessity at times. With those days long gone, I've had a sedentary office IT job for 6 years now, and my waistline has been the "beneficiary", so to speak.

Now, I'm not unhealthy by any means...but if I stay like this much longer, I know health problems will start to creep up, especially with my 30's right around the corner. I've got to start doing something about it now.

I've played around with MyFitnessPal a few times...adding a meal here or there just to see if I could get under my calories for a day, but I'd always just order a pizza the very next day to chow down on. Not a good idea, obviously, despite the deliciousness.

Well, I've decided it's time to finally do something. I miss being able to play sports effectively, walk around for more than 15 minutes without my legs being tired, and most of all, I miss fitting into rides at amusement parks. I haven't been able to ride the Raptor at Cedar Point for about 7 years....and it SUCKS.

I technically started 12 days ago watching my calories here, and working out 3 times a week with the Xbox Kinect, playing "Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012", which is actually pretty awesome, and surprisingly effective.

The result so far? 7 pounds down in those 12 days, with 193 more to go over the next 2 years.

It's coming off a tad quicker than I expected, but I know it will taper off and I'll plateau at some point. Even so, I'm very encouraged by the quick progress, and I can already start feeling minor results. I feel less tired during the day, and I've already needed to make a new belt hole to keep my pants from falling down at work! It feels great already, and I want to be in this for the long haul...change my lifestyle for good.

Sorry for the long story, but I felt the need to tell it. Looking forward to being a part of this community, as I'll certainly need an extra push from time to time to make this thing happen. Feel free to friend me, and we'll fight those evil pizzas together.

-Bob

Replies

• kingkm02
    kingkm02 Posts: 23
    Options
    Well this is a great place to start! Good luck with your journey! Feel free to add me, I'm in OHIO too haha
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm 28 as well and I finally had that ah-ha I have to do this moment, good luck!
  • Mikelobov
    Mikelobov Posts: 44
    Options
    No need to apologize for the long story, everyone has a starting point.

I was not as big as you are, but I was still quite large for my height. I was 245 and I'm only 5'6. The doctor scared me with a Morbidly Obese rap. I can tell you have the right attitude to start. I was nervous when I did, thinking i'd lose sight of my goal.

The one thing I can tell you for certain, it is worth it. I feel so much better about my life right now. For the first time in my life I feel like I'm a worthy guy/boyfriend etc. I was tired of being the funny fat guy, now i'm just the funny guy.

Just remember, it is worth it.

Some days will be hard, some will be easy. Just remember to go for a lifestyle change rather than a diet. Diets fade, once you get settled into a new way of living, it becomes standard routine and you barely notice it.

Best of luck good sir.
  • mrssturrock
    Options
    It's really important, in my unprofessional opinion, to remember these positive feelings. Because the day is likely to come that you feel like you are so tired of exercising and eating right, and you can't imagine what could feel better than melted cheese and a nice rest. It can come at you out of nowhere, and that's where MFP can come in handy. You will see how great you felt, you will see how you were eating and what you were doing, and you will stay motivated. Keep it going :) I'm 29 and it's a great time to start getting serious.
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is the place to be. I'm a 33 year old whose in the 'I worked out a million hours a week in high school and now sit in meetings all day' camp. Sending you a friend request.....
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    I turned 30, 3 months ago. I started my weighloss journey when I was 29, so I know how you feel. This is a great community and I'm sure you'll be successful. Good Luck!! Sending you a request!
  • bob6702
    bob6702 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for the kind words, everyone! I feel a lot better about my situation already. When I reach my goal, I am definitely looking forward to digging this post up and remembering how awesome you guys were :)