Ground Beef Recipes

Options
Before my husband and I started MFP we ate a lot of ground beef. I find it harder to eat those foods now. We are both picky eaters and losing a food option is a big deal haha. Does anyone have any good recipes they'd like to share?

Replies

• histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ground turkey breast? If you use it in things like spaghetti. meatloaf, and tacos, You can't really tell too much difference (ok, at first you will but you get used to it). You can also doctor it up and grill as a burger.
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    I found one yesterday for Meatloaf Muffins but it contains ground Turkey. I altered it a bit to my own liking. You could substitute by using ground beef instead of turkey but I don't know what the calorie difference will be.

MEATLOAF MUFFINS

1 lb 99% fat free ground turkey
    1 medium onion
    1 medium red bell pepper
    1 large zucchini
    2 egg whites
    ½ tsp Onion powder
    Black pepper
    6 tbsp Ketchup
    ½ cup oatmeal
    ¼ cup Italian breadcrumbs
    2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
    Preheat oven to 400
    Cut up and sauté veggies until they are soft, mix veggies, turkey, egg whites, 4 tbsp. ketchup, black pepper, onion powder, oatmeal, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Divide between 12 muffin cups (make sure to spray pan with PAM).
    Mix 2tbsp ketchup and Worcestershire Sauce in a small bowl and brush over the top of muffins for a glaze. Bake for about 25 mins and enjoy!

1 Meatloaf muffin equals 88 calories
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I still eat ground beef in tacos and chilli. As long as you watch your portion sizes and are eating other healthy foods with it you should be fine.
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oooh...that sounds yummy!
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    I found one yesterday for Meatloaf Muffins but it contains ground Turkey. I altered it a bit to my own liking. You could substitute by using ground beef instead of turkey but I don't know what the calorie difference will be.

MEATLOAF MUFFINS

1 lb 99% fat free ground turkey
    1 medium onion
    1 medium red bell pepper
    1 large zucchini
    2 egg whites
    ½ tsp Onion powder
    Black pepper
    6 tbsp Ketchup
    ½ cup oatmeal
    ¼ cup Italian breadcrumbs
    2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
    Preheat oven to 400
    Cut up and sauté veggies until they are soft, mix veggies, turkey, egg whites, 4 tbsp. ketchup, black pepper, onion powder, oatmeal, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Divide between 12 muffin cups (make sure to spray pan with PAM).
    Mix 2tbsp ketchup and Worcestershire Sauce in a small bowl and brush over the top of muffins for a glaze. Bake for about 25 mins and enjoy!

1 Meatloaf muffin equals 88 calories

Just looked up the beef substitute...if you use 1 lb of 93% Lean, 7% Fat you will only add 120 calories to the above recipe - which equates to an additional 12 calories to each meatloaf muffin.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    bump

Sounds like tonight's dinner! Then I can freeze the left overs and have single searving meat!
  • Medlockbb
    Medlockbb Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks ! Ill try these suggestions! We LOVE turkey cutlets, we eat them all the time! I did try the ground turkey in spaghetti one night and it ended up in the trash LOL it was not good at all. I'll try grilling it though!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with ground beef?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I like sloppy joe and hamburgers.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with ground beef?

nothing, far as I'm concerned.
  • rosalieharris
    rosalieharris Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did not like the ground turkey in either...then I tried making meatballs instead of just frying it up! They turned out great...just add things you like in the turkey, like oregano, basil, onions, ketchup, pepper, etc. then make little meatballs and put them in the oven for about 15 mins...flip and 15 more (depending on size of the meatballs). I am making myself get used to turkey:)
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Taste of HOME ground beef recipies....yummy !
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Just use lower fat beef. I made chili last night. Was good except for the sodium level. Gotta cut that back.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Before my husband and I started MFP we ate a lot of ground beef. I find it harder to eat those foods now. We are both picky eaters and losing a food option is a big deal haha. Does anyone have any good recipes they'd like to share?

What is it that you had to give up? Whatever it is you can probably make a healthier version of it rather than give it up,

Burgers - use lower fat ground beef, reduced fat cheese and a whole grain bun. To lower the calorie count even more, use whole grain sandwich thins instead of buns.

Pasta - use whole grain pasta cooked al dente to lower the GI. Use less pasta and more sauce. Or eliminate the pasta and use spaghetti squash or very thinly sliced zucchini strips instead.

Nachos - use lower fat ground beef, reduced fat cheese. Load up on chopped peppers, onion, tomato, avacado, etc. Use unsweetened greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Make your own chips to control fat, sodium and fiber content (just cut whole grain tortilla, pita or wraps into pieces, spray lightly with oil and bake.

Cheeseburger macaroni - use lower fat ground beef, reduced fat cheese, mix plenty of diced cauliflower with a little whole grain pasta to cut the carbs/calories and add nutrients.

Just be creative. Healthy food isn't all salads and chicken breasts.
  • julie9200
    julie9200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    We cook a lot of ground beef recipes. I use the leaner beef, at least 90% fat free. I also mix it with ground turkey or chicken, a couple of times I've mixed it with buffalo when I found some clearanced. Another thing I use is TVP (textured vegetable protein). It's a soy product, has no flavor of it's own and you can buy it in dry crumbles. You have to add water to reconstitute it, so it stretches really far making it a pretty good bargain.
  • Ofm05
    Ofm05 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ground Beef is perfectly fine. Just get 93+ Fat free and watch the portions size and you will be fine.

I
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks ! Ill try these suggestions! We LOVE turkey cutlets, we eat them all the time! I did try the ground turkey in spaghetti one night and it ended up in the trash LOL it was not good at all. I'll try grilling it though!

I think turkey has to be extra seasoned in spaghetti, so that might help? Only tried it once or twice though, so that's me guessing what was 'wrong' with the taste.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Use 93% fat free and try not to have red meat 2-3 times a week and you'll be fine. I'd still recommend giving ground turkey or chicken a shot. If you pay attention to the sales flyers you can nab some pretty good deals on them. Try skinnykitchen.com, skinnytastecom, thegraciouspantry.com and cleaneatingmag.com for some lower cal and healthier recipes