new and feeling overwelmed

Options
i am in need of some advice...i am having trouble meeting my calorie intakes and things..i cant have any bread pasta rice potatos per request of my dr and when i exercise i even gain extra calories and when i journal my food for the day it says at the bottom that im not gonna lose as much weight due to the fact of my body entering starvation mode...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• dyellz
    dyellz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Supplement your diet with lots of fruit and veggies....Dont go under 1200 calories though. Starvation mode is when you arent getting enough nutrients and calories to support your well being. Drink lots of water and maybe up your protein....If you are exercising alot, then just make sure you eat your quota of protein..i wouldnt worry too much about the calculator on what you would weigh in so and so weeks. Just make sure your body is getting what it needs.
  • angellmoore
    angellmoore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have had the same thing happen. I started eating little snacks throughout the day. I eat a small yogurt, or fruit. I am not a big "carb" fan anyway. I really don't like bread or pasta. I also buy 100 calorie snacks that are healthy. They help me increase my calorie goal.
  • Bree1294
    Bree1294 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eat protein through-out the day as much as you possibly can, especially if you are working out. I am also not eating break, pasta's, or potatoes, but it's my choice, not a doctor recommended restriction. I do eat a lot of protein, in fact I make sure every meal has protein as I work out 6 days out of 7. So far so good and it helps me meet my calorie levels. Best of luck... Add as friend if you would like. :bigsmile:
  • UpdatedMike
    Options
    Maybe try some protein powder low in carbs?
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I agree, maybe a shake with lots of protein and low in carbs ? I use them as a snack or non-fat Greek Yogurt.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    AVOCADOS!
  • stepinjazz
    Options
    Hmm, not a bad problem to have.. I dont' do a lot of complex carbs either.. but my favorite snack is almonds, i eat them everyday -- they can definately help you with the calories
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    eat higher calorie nutritional food... add peanut butter, whole milk ect...
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    Increase your fat intake,.,,,,eggs are a good choice.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    AVOCADOS!
    Exactly! Include more healthy fats (olive oil, nuts...)
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on nuts and dried fruit during the day, they are high in calories.
  • nicleoid
    nicleoid Posts: 2
    Options
    eat more fat,(healthy) protein and veggies, watch out for hidden "sugars" in pre flavored yogarts etc.
    drink lots of water, the protein will help you from becoming hungry and veggies fill you up. tape yourself, your scale may not budge but you could be losing inches. lift even light weights, not just cardio. good luck:flowerforyou:
  • SummerAlaina
    SummerAlaina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it is possible for you to be going over on your calories and still be in starvation mode. You should be eating the calories you gain from doing exercise.

So lets say that MFP has told you to consume 1400 calories per day. If you don't exercise you should eat 1400 and you won't be in starvation mode. If you eat your normal allotted amount of 1400 and then exercise, burning more than 200 calories, you will net less than 1200 calories for the day. When you net less than 1200 you are entering "Starvation Mode". So using that same example, eat your 1400, exercise burning let's say 300 calories, then eat 300 more calories. This will ensure that you are staying at the predetermined deficit that MFP has set up for you.

I hope this makes sense. Also, just read through the message boards here, there are many people who have asked and answered many questions that will help you.
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i am in need of some advice...i am having trouble meeting my calorie intakes and things..i cant have any bread pasta rice potatos per request of my dr and when i exercise i even gain extra calories and when i journal my food for the day it says at the bottom that im not gonna lose as much weight due to the fact of my body entering starvation mode...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

open up your diary, maybe you can try some nuts, eggs or fruit.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I need to snack during the day. Some days I have a problem of going too many hours without food during the day..... not on purpose, I just get busy and forget because i'm not hungry. I eat lean proteins, lots of veggies, whole grains with high fiber, etc. I started with the South Beach Diet for the first month or so and now it's just a loose interpretation of it.

Snacks for me are raw veggies, sometimes with a little hummus or a veggie dip made out of greek yogurt. Almonds! Deli meat roll ups.... I take a slice of deli meat, a little laughing cow cheese spread on it and a thick slice of red pepper or a cucumber spear and roll it up together. A lot of times the deli meat roll ups are my lunch and then veggies as a snack. If you can find them, Mrs Mays Almond Crunch is good but it comes in 2 oz packages that are 2 servings.... it's hard sometimes to eat only half a package. I love the Raspberry Pom Almond Crunch. I sneak a bag of that in my purse when we go to the movies!

In the evening I love Greek yogurt. Because it's creamy, it feels like dessert. Get plain greek yogurt, add a little fresh fruit, some splenda or honey to it. Or go for the fruit flavors if you can.

My husband is a huge fan of those carrot snack bags. 3 oz packages of the petite baby carrots. That is one of his favorite snacks. Just a little bit of natural sugar to give him some energy plus fiber to make him feel full. That picks him up about 2 to 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You need to drench your veg in olive oil! Get those cals up & keep you fuller longer :)
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    I don't see how it is possible for you to be going over on your calories and still be in starvation mode. You should be eating the calories you gain from doing exercise.

So lets say that MFP has told you to consume 1400 calories per day. If you don't exercise you should eat 1400 and you won't be in starvation mode. If you eat your normal allotted amount of 1400 and then exercise, burning more than 200 calories, you will net less than 1200 calories for the day. When you net less than 1200 you are entering "Starvation Mode". So using that same example, eat your 1400, exercise burning let's say 300 calories, then eat 300 more calories. This will ensure that you are staying at the predetermined deficit that MFP has set up for you.

I hope this makes sense. Also, just read through the message boards here, there are many people who have asked and answered many questions that will help you.

I need an explanation as to WHY someone would eat back the calories that they burned off with excersize. That makes no sense. If you are supposed to eat 1500 calories a day, that's what you eat and that is it!
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Eating raw nuts (no salt) adds alot of calories and good nutrition.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    AVOCADOS!

I love avocados! They will get you your calorie minimum! Don't be too intimidated by the fats, it's the good kind. Also, nuts and lean proteins.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    Ok, so Dr basically nixed alot of carbs it seems. Why not try upping the healthy fats? Can you eat a couple scoops of peanut butter/handful of almonds here and there. Stuff like that...