Social Situations and Bad Influences

Options
So this may sound kind of whiney, but for those that have an extremely active social lives, how do you do it!? This last weekend I was with people all weekend and between the drinks, food made, etc. I just couldn't escape all of the bad stuff and ended up blowing up my calorie counting for the weekend. I thought I was being good (kind of) and only going over a bit and after I added it all up, I realized that I just went way too overboard.

For those with self control... what's your secret?

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You might want to try eating a healthy snack before you go out. If you are going to be drinking try to stay away from the fru-fru mixed drinks (my fave!) Go with vodka/whiskey and diet soda..type of stuff.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    This is my problem one drink leads to a second and then snacks and more drinks and the next thing I know if the weeks worth of calories is gone. All of my friends just want to hang out in the bars.

Lately I have been alternating drinks from beer to water so I drink less and split the snacks with my best friend so I eat less. Also I will do things like ride my crusier or walk to the festival/ball park/ or whereever we go just to burn off a few extra calories. Or get in a major workout earlier that day so I have the calories to spare.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I burn enough calories that a caloric splurge still fits close enough to my goal.
  • sheschemes
    Options
    You can also start suggesting social things that don't involve food or drinking. My favorite "happy hour" activity during the spring is going to the driving range and mini golf. I'm not even a golfer! It's just fun to get out there and enjoy time with people without thinking about calories.
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    You can also start suggesting social things that don't involve food or drinking. My favorite "happy hour" activity during the spring is going to the driving range and mini golf. I'm not even a golfer! It's just fun to get out there and enjoy time with people without thinking about calories.

This is a great idea!! My friends always want to go to happy hour, this would be a fun alternative!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    For alcohol, I only drink vodka neats, so I can feel the buzz quicker and with less cals. For food, a taste of all but never a full serving.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say extremely active social life. I would say I just drink a lot and often.

I have the willpower to not drink if I say I'm not going to. However, it is not very fun being surrounded by inebriated people when you're the only one that is not. Not my cup of tea. I'm not saying I can't have fun sober, I would just prefer not to be. For me, I decided to decrease how many nights I went out per week down to 2. And even at that, it makes it very hard to be consistent with calories day-to-day, week-to-week. I do feel like I'm sabotaging myself every week, and I probably am. Even though the average for the week is okay, I'm just not seeing the results I'm looking for. Some people may be able to drink all the time and have success, but for me I've tried and it's not working for me. With that in mind, I find it necessary for myself to make a change.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Whiskey diet is my drink of choice. More activities that involve being active is a good idea. We just have lots of "food" parties.
  • sheschemes
    Options

This is a great idea!! My friends always want to go to happy hour, this would be a fun alternative!

Even going to places where you can play pool instead of sitting can help. Gotta give you hands something to do!
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    shots shots shots !
    No but seriously, SO MUCH BETTER calorie wise than cocktails. I usually encourage my friends to drink somewhere where there is dancing. I am hardly ever tempted to eat when I could be bouncing around on the dancefloor. Plus I usually burn the calories I drink if i dance hard enough, which I do haha. (seriously goofy dancer here)