PCOS

Options
Well, I think I've had PCOS probably since I've had a cycle. I was only recently diagnosed about 2 years ago. I'm on metformin and am now trying to act on a low carb diet. Need some help. I hate PCOS! :D Also taking vitamins, b, a multi vitamin, d3, and some other for hair and nail growth. I need motivation to exercise and to keep on track. It's very difficult to keep it up, especially my diet. Trying to avoid carbs, but it's hard to know what I need to avoid. Any advice out there for me? Anything will help. Thanks!

Replies

• jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I do not have PCOS but my sister in law does. I would suggest trying to avoid anything that is processed. Good luck!
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    With the carbs, some are ok but you for sure want to limit them, ESPECIALLY sugar. Trust me, your body (and your clothing) will not like you if you eat too much sugar while on the metformin. Otherwise, it's all about the will power. Metformin will help regulate your insulin and that should help you drop a couple lbs. If you want to lose more than that you're gonna have to WANT it bad enough to control your diet.
  • lagwagongirl
    Options
    that seems to be a pretty popular response. I do pretty well with that, I just wish non-processed foods weren't so darn expensive (organics and what not).
  • mohitsarmy
    Options
    You can accomplish anything you set your mind to!

I can't help much since I'm not a woman but I know a family that has a genetic history of this problem. I think they would like answers as well.
  • Arielle08
    Options
    Hello there! I have PCOS also and I know how you feel. I hate it too.
    I know how hard it is to stay away from the carbs cause I love bread! But its all about limiting yourself and pushing yourself not wanting to have it. Just like two weeks ago, I started craking down on myself cause I see all of my friends on Facebook all skinny and working out and it makes me want to do more too. If they can do it, then I can do it too. Its all in your mindset my friend! =]
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Feel free to join the low-carb group here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
    You will find lots of support!

I understand your frustration. (what, you mean you actually have a cycle? lol jk. 75lb loss and a lower-carb diet later, I am finally having a normal, REGULAR cycle on my own without BC now!) Avoiding too many carbs is daunting at first, but there are plenty of us on here to help - it can be done! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • lagwagongirl
    Options
    the metformin has definitely helped with regulating insulin. i've also finally ovulated. that's something i've never accomplished. i gained the bulk of my weight right around the age of 15. i've cut my sugars down as much as as i know i can, it's not knowing what fruits and vegetables i can have. any ideas on that?
  • amoslionhorse
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed about 7 yrs ago, but have had it likely for 20 yrs. I would be careful going TOO low carb (others may disagree with me on this)

You need to find a good healthy balanced diet that you can LIVE with the rest of your life. I tried the ultra low carb diet and lost a LOT of weight, and fast.. but as soon as i went back to regular foods... i gained it all back, and more... and then again lost, and gained.

I am now on a doctor supervised diet that includes a healthy amount of healthy carbs (as much as possible from fibre) and higher in protein. The Metformin is also really helping. I'm losing about 2 lbs a week on average right now for the last 2 months.

There is a group on here as well for people with PCOS... or if you do a search for PCOS you'll see a lot of info and other questions answered. Best wishes with your journey! You're not alone!
  • LaurelElaine12
    Options
    Hello! I have been diagnosed with it for the last 5 years. I lose and gain weight quite quickly depending on how I mix things up. The only things I have found that consistently work is a low calories - low carb diet and a ton of exercise. I recommend finding someone to go with you to work out. I am lucky as I have some friends on board who know how important it is for me to get moving. I would try to locate someone who has the same goals. 5 miles on a treadmill or around town is a lot more fun with a friend. I also wear a pedometer at all times to know how much activity I have or have not gotten in.

My biggest motivation is to avoid all the surgeries the doctors keep tossing out. None of them are particularly appealing to me as I am very scared of going under a knife. :smile: I think the biggest help for me was finding a doctor who understands and people who will be a good support.
  • Shirvona
    Shirvona Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and this is what I have been doing for the last month and it seems to be working.

Morning:
    Smoothie:
    1 cup spinach
    1 cup frozen mixed berrys
    1 banana
    1 ind. size activia yogurt
    1 to 2 cups almond milk

Workout

Afternoon:
    1 cup broccoli
    2 cups carrots
    2 cups snap peas
    50g raw almonds
    1-2 mini cucumbers
    2-3 tbsp greek yogurt veggie dip

Evening:
    I have pre-made frozen meals in the freezer that vary from 275 - 550 cal

I try to stay away from complex carbs like the ones that are in bread and pasta and I try almond and soy milk rather than 1% or 2% dairyland milk.

Doing things this way I still manage to lose at least 0.8 lbs a week even if I can't find the time to due a work out and when I do have time to work out I can lose up to 2 lbs a week and I am not suffering from food cravings (at least not unless my PCOS mood swings/depression kicks in)

Hope this helps!
  • butterfliespink
    Options
    There's a good topic going on about this from another poster as well. They have some great ideas/medicines/etc. I have endo, fibroid tumors, dysfuntional uterine bleeding, and add in my IBS and Acid reflux and I'm a mess! But there are great options out there, and if you get a really good obgyn he or she will really be able to give you options and medications.
    My weight has been crazy! Two years ago I billowed up to 208 pounds. I went on an extremely unhealthy low carb diet (not all low carb diets are bad, just the one I was on!!) and got down to 164. I was happy with that. Fast foward 2 years and I am back at around 180. I REFUSE to go past 190 again. Because of my IBS my dr has me eating 25-30g fiber a day and drinking a ton of water. I actually feel fuller and don't feel "bloated". My pants feel a little better on me and I've only been doing this for a full week! Good luck, I know if we all try hard enough we will make it!!
  • butterfliespink
    Options
    I have PCOS and this is what I have been doing for the last month and it seems to be working.

Morning:
    Smoothie:
    1 cup spinach
    1 cup frozen mixed berrys
    1 banana
    1 ind. size activia yogurt
    1 to 2 cups almond milk

Workout

Afternoon:
    1 cup broccoli
    2 cups carrots
    2 cups snap peas
    50g raw almonds
    1-2 mini cucumbers
    2-3 tbsp greek yogurt veggie dip

Evening:
    I have pre-made frozen meals in the freezer that vary from 275 - 550 cal

I try to stay away from complex carbs like the ones that are in bread and pasta and I try almond and soy milk rather than 1% or 2% dairyland milk.

Doing things this way I still manage to lose at least 0.8 lbs a week even if I can't find the time to due a work out and when I do have time to work out I can lose up to 2 lbs a week and I am not suffering from food cravings (at least not unless my PCOS mood swings/depression kicks in)

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah-the almond milk instead of dairy has helped A LOT too!!
  • lagwagongirl
    Options
    I know how hard it is to stay away from the carbs cause I love bread! But its all about limiting yourself and pushing yourself not wanting to have it. Just like two weeks ago, I started craking down on myself cause I see all of my friends on Facebook all skinny and working out and it makes me want to do more too. If they can do it, then I can do it too. Its all in your mindset my friend! =]

It's so hard to not want bread, that's for sure. Especially growing up in a German household on German beer and German bread and GERMAN EVERYTHING. Carb central. :D I just need any suggestions on fruits and veggies out there, because I know I have to cut down on the bananas. :(
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    There's a good topic going on about this from another poster as well. They have some great ideas/medicines/etc. I have endo, fibroid tumors, dysfuntional uterine bleeding, and add in my IBS and Acid reflux and I'm a mess! But there are great options out there, and if you get a really good obgyn he or she will really be able to give you options and medications.
    My weight has been crazy! Two years ago I billowed up to 208 pounds. I went on an extremely unhealthy low carb diet (not all low carb diets are bad, just the one I was on!!) and got down to 164. I was happy with that. Fast foward 2 years and I am back at around 180. I REFUSE to go past 190 again. Because of my IBS my dr has me eating 25-30g fiber a day and drinking a ton of water. I actually feel fuller and don't feel "bloated". My pants feel a little better on me and I've only been doing this for a full week! Good luck, I know if we all try hard enough we will make it!!

I kicked the gluten, and it's also helped the IBS and acid reflux. Almost 10 years of protonix/aciphex/prilosec, and don't need it anymore!! Another side effect, no more eczema. Or stuffy nose every day!
  • CarBro1
    CarBro1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS around 16 years old. I had lost about 10 lbs around my 15th birthday, and stopped getting my period. I went on the B.C. shot and have NEVER lost, and kept off, the 15- 30lbs I gained with every shot for the year and a half I was using it. That's why I'm here 13 years later. I'm not sure if the PCOS started before or after the shots, but I have been told the secret cure is to lose the weight. I've been on Metformin for about 3 years. I noticed that if I eat sugary junkie foods I WILL get sick. I have replaced sugary coffee cream with tea, only recently. I LOVE sweet potatoes, and my Dr. Recommends proteins like Beans, Beans, and more Beans, Fish, & Chicken. She said to avoid red meat as much as posssible,(due to one's body's inflammatory response) which I struggle with. I noticed my weight loss REALLY responded when I stopped eating cereal with milk for breakfast. I now eat a whole grain oatmeal, or eggs. Or W.W. toast with P.B. and a banana. I don't know if it was the milk, or the cereal but I feel better now that I don't eat that. I'm not sure that you have to avoid anything altogether, but I do avoid alcohol for the most part as it upsets my stomach and seems to cause lady part issues. I take an Omega 3, 6, 9 fish, flax, & borage oil supplement daily, and this has lowered my bad cholesterol, and upped my good cholesterol. I also walk 1.25 miles EVERYDAY. I find the best way to balance my diet is thinking in terms of the glycemic index versus the carb content. I am also a person who when I eat junk food, I eat it all the way. I'm not going to have a hot dog on a whole wheat bun, cause a hot dog is junk food, and should be eaten on a white junk foody bun, just not frequently. That is my philosophy, Everything in moderation, even moderation. I hope that is helpful, good luck.
  • Mizz1993
    Mizz1993 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm 18 and have had PCOS all through out my teen years and was recently just diagnosed by my weight loss Dr. Whats sad is i have been to OBGYN many times to try and figure out why i haven't had my periods, they never took the time to test me for PCOS. I'm thinking about suing. I'm on that medication it works great makes me sick but oh well.
  • lagwagongirl
    Options
    I have changed a couple things: lactose free milk to unsweetened almond vanilla milk, low fat and nonfat fruit yogurt to nonfat plain greek yogurt and adding berries to it. those are the things i've drastically changed so far. and literally, just this weekend. this is because i had a dr. visit recently who said i need to cut carbs. i'm taking notes on everything that everyone is telling me.

i'll tell you this, i have cut down on the alcohol, cut it down to weekends only, no hard liquor really, just beer. usually, only a couple a weekend. i can't cut it out, it's in my German nature to drink beer :D any dinner ideas out there? my husband loves rice, i definitely do not. i need substitutes. i know i'm asking a lot, but i'm clueless.
  • Arielle08
    Options

It's so hard to not want bread, that's for sure. Especially growing up in a German household on German beer and German bread and GERMAN EVERYTHING. Carb central. :D I just need any suggestions on fruits and veggies out there, because I know I have to cut down on the bananas. :(

I so totally know what you mean! My dad is German and my mom is half and its all about the meat and potatoes for my dad haha! But what I have been doing for fruit is getting canned fruit and looking at the calories. Ive been eating banana's (not from a can), pineapples, peaches, strawberries (no can) and apples. Its all about the calories for me. =]
  • amoslionhorse
    Options
    i'll tell you this, i have cut down on the alcohol, cut it down to weekends only, no hard liquor really, just beer. usually, only a couple a weekend. i can't cut it out, it's in my German nature to drink beer :D any dinner ideas out there? my husband loves rice, i definitely do not. i need substitutes. i know i'm asking a lot, but i'm clueless.
    [/quote]

Quinoa is a great grain that is low in carb and high on protein.. it cooks in about the same amount of time as rice, and it's very flexible. I cut alcohol down too, i love my wine.. but was drinking too much, now i'm down to just weekends as ell.