Will my HRM track calories burned without wearing the watch?

Options
I just purchased the Polar FT4 hrm w/chest strap and I'm curious to know if I have to physically be wearing the watch to track my calories if I'm wearing the chest strap? I have a volleyball match and I'm not sure if we are allowed to wear a watch during actual play. HELP!
:-)

Replies

• kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You will have to wear your watch, unfortunately. It's the watch that saves & calculates the data from your heart rate monitor.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    The watch has to be close to the chest strap. You could tuck it in your pocket or sports bra and it will work. Too much distance and it will stop reading.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I don't own a hrm, but I think you have to wear it in order for it to measure your heart rate/ calories burned. You can still do an estimate on here, or maybe you can wear it during practice one day to see how many calories you burn/ hour (so you will know for game days)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    The watch has to be close to the chest strap. You could tuck it in your pocket or sports bra and it will work. Too much distance and it will stop reading.

I agree with this. It doesn't have to be on the wrist just usually somewhere on your body will do.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to wear the watch. The chest strap is only the transmitter. If the watch is too far away from the transmitter, no data is collected. If you can't wear it around your wrist, how about looping it on your bra or putting it in a pocket?
  • davitalynette
    davitalynette Posts: 117 Member
    Options

This is what I was wondering - I wonder how close it needs to be? I may just tuck it away in my boobs if the referee has an issue! LOL
  • davitalynette
    Options
    Ahh.. I see - Bra it is! Thanks for the lightening fast responses! :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

This! When I box I can't wear the watch because the gloves won't fit right. Instead I loop the watch around the strap of my tank top and have hubby push start! (I tried pressing start with my gloves on and failed miserably LOL)
  • davitalynette
    Options
    This! When I box I can't wear the watch because the gloves won't fit right. Instead I loop the watch around the strap of my tank top and have hubby push start! (I tried pressing start with my gloves on and failed miserably LOL)

lol i know how that is! :)