Day off from working out and scared! help

Options
Ok, so I have been working out 6 days a week and taking one day off for rest. What do you suggest about food intake on your day off? You can't work out because your supposed to be resting your body. Do you allow yourself to eat normally on that one day and go over your calorie goal? Will one day set you back? I am freaking out a little because tonight is my Mom's Birthday and we are going to Mexican. I know I will go over.

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Food-wise treat it like any other day. Just don't workout.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I overthink it and when I'm thinking about food all day and the fact that I will not be able to eat as much (because I haven't earned any from exercise) I get freaked out too... I generally will at least go for a walk or something to get some extra wiggle room for calories. I think someone called it "active rest"
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself at dinner and don't worry about calories. One day will not ruin your progress.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Rest days don't have to be inactive days.. something like swimming, walking, etc which is easier on your body is recommended.. also.. don't worry about your food intake on occasion.. sometimes the hit of extra calories will keep your body guessing.. log it, but don't feel guilty.. choose decent foods for a "cheat" meal but don't worry so much about the calories.. you can even go into a greater deficit tomorrow to offset, just know that if your one to weigh yourself everyday, your going to see the extra weight (usually for a day or two) until your body processes it.
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Just try your best to stay under your calories. On days I don't work out, It's hard for me. But, a little over won't do too much harm.
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    wouldn't hurt your body to go on a nice walk, bank some calories, ease your mind, good for the soul.... especially since you're going out to eat....
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself at dinner and don't worry about calories. One day will not ruin your progress.

^^ this !
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Food-wise treat it like any other day. Just don't workout.

Yup. Don't look at your cals burned and consumed so much as a daily thing but more of a weekly thing. If you are eating healthy and working out for the most part, it will all balance out.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    It's nice & relaxing to have a cheat day once a week. It helps you not crave and over-indulge. Just remember everything is to be taken into moderation, even exercising, after 6 days of working out, your body is probably craving a break.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Resting doesn't mean sitting on a couch all day. Usually, it just means no formal exercise, but I may ride my bike, go surfing, go hiking, or something like that.
  • Garylcotter
    Garylcotter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its really a you question. We all find it easier for someone else to make the call, but you know the less in,the less
    work, and the better results. Look at your goal, look at your accomplishments, look at How Committed are you to this project?. You can find fish at mexican, you can split a plate, drink water, and still enjoy. There are ways its all about better choices. I hope Im not a downer but its a NEW WAY OF LIFE TO A HEALTHIER YOU. Have fun. You and only you are in control. Take Charge, lol good luck, Gary
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree with SirBen81...I would treat it like any other day except for the fact that you arent working out. I too, workout 6 days per week and take off Sundays to rest. If I know that I am going out to eat, I will try and eat the way I normally would eat during the week when I AM working out but maybe tweak the calories down a little bit. Before going out to eat, I try to eat a regular meal at home and then when getting to the restaurant, I load up on water to keep me full and order a salad with dressing on the side. That way I dont make people feel uncomfortable. If I am going over to someone's house, I eat a light snack (protein and a little carbs) before I leave the house and when I get there, I eat a little bit so I dont appear to be rude. AND I load up on water if I can.

I dont think there is any need to freak out about anything because you cant workout 7 days per week forever...you only have 1 life to live. lol. At the end of the day, it will all even out. One day of going over your calories, wont make or break you.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy a day of change from the routine--don't be scared. stress is not good for weight loss.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!!!!!! I feel so much better. Also just printed El Nopal's nutrition list. Picking out the healthiest thing to eat. Looks like Chicken Salad with Salsa is only 332 calories. That is good. My husband and I did get a good laugh at the calorie content of how we use to eat when we went there!!!!!! I think we were consuming more than 4,000 calories in one dinner easy. Thanks again!!!!!
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I echo the advice to go, have a good time, and put calories out of your mind. One meal (or one day, or a few days...) is not going to ruin all of your hard work. Sometimes it even has the opposite effect - providing a temporary metabolic "spike" that will lead to more weight loss than normal. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but it does work so long as you only do it every once in a while.

Here are thing I always try remember when I start to freak out over a meal or a day when I know I won't be able to count calories/macros/etc:

* Relax. The idea is to live a healthier lifestyle, not to live a *perfect* month or year.
    * One meal did not get you into bad shape. One meal does not get you into good shape. It's not what you do today; it's what you do every day that matters.
    * Even when you're being "good" and logging every bite you eat, there's a lot of room for error. Restaurants rarely make "perfect" portions that align exactly with posted nutritional values - there's no time for it. They substitute ingredients and eyeball amounts. Same with packaged foods - recent studies show up to 20-25 percent of nutritional labels are incorrect. You can do your best but perfection is an impossible thing to achieve.
    * In adopting a new lifestyle, you have to allow life to happen. Birthday celebrations, big nights out, vacations and parties are (hopefully!) going to be part of your life for a long time, so enjoy them. Eat what you like. Just enjoy your workout tomorrow knowing you're working out so you can enjoy nights like this without guilt for the rest of your life!
  • lasim26
    lasim26 Posts: 6
    Options
    One day won't ruin anything but, the important thing is getting back on track tomorrow. I went to Vegas in Feb and we went out for Mexican. I tried to stay away from the chips and got shrimp tacos but asked them to grill instead of fry, they were more than happy to oblige. In the end, I was only over a bit and the food was worth it!!
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options

This. Will make no difference at all. Just enjoy your rest day - you earned it.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Remember what you wrote in your profile about making it a lifestyle change. Celebrations with food are unavoidable. Think about how you want to handle this situation in the long run, and not just for one day. Deprivation isn't a lifestyle change, neither is over-indulgence. Eat what you want, enjoy the celebration, and move on. :flowerforyou:
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Because of what you are doing the rest of the week, your metablism doesn't just stop working for that one day that you don't. Enjoy your dinner and don't worry about the calories. You will be back on track tomorrow! Just remember to drink lots of water because mexican food is loaded with sodium!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    On rest days, I'll still be doing stuff like housework and shopping. I don't log the activity but I also know if I go over my limit by a few hundred calories, it'll all work out in the end. You can shoot for somewhere between your BMR and TDEE and that shouldn't derail your efforts at all.

As far as dining out goes, I've got two trains of thought on this. 1) If it's something you don't do very often, go ahead and have that dish or drink you really want and don't stress about it! Just make sure you get right back on track the next day and drink TONS of water to flush out all the sodium. 2) If it's something you do somewhat often, try to make the same kinds of choices you do at home - pick the most healthy thing on the menu that you can. Most mexican restaurants have a taco salad - just order it without the shell (and maybe skip the cheese too) and get the dressing on the side.

Above all, have a good time!