• emarge
    emarge Posts: 8 Member
    Options
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    An inch is huge...
    Sometimes. :smokin:

I thought 3 1/2 had been established? Are you toying with us?
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think moving back to the 1 lb per week is a great step! Doing tough workouts burns lots of calories during the workout, but also keeps your metabolism running on high afterwards. But heart rate monitors can't tell you what that means in terms of calories burned. And so it's entirely feasible that you're just eating too few calories for your body to accommodate the demands you're putting on it. Therefore, instead of burning the fat, it goes into starvation mode and stores it.

I've had my goal set at 1 lb loss per week, and for the past 3, have lost 2 or more each week. Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised! Partly, it's because I always leave a hundred or so exercise calories in the bank each day, but I think it's also because I've been doing a lot of strength training. And finally, I'm eating really clean. Almost nothing (except no-salt stewed tomatoes) comes out of a can or box in my house. I'm not sure what your diet looks like, but all calories are not really equal. Lean meats and fresh fruits and vegetables are fuel that your body loves!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You can exercise all you want, but if you are eating too much you aren't going to lose anything.

My first guess is you aren't being very consistent. If you want it to work like a science you have to treat it like a science and be ACCURATE with your intake, including using measuring cups and weights and logging EVERYTHING (and this should go without saying, but NO CHEAT MEALS/DAYS). Also, 1,200 does sound a bit low for someone who has 50 lbs to lose.

You need a 500 cal defecit from your TDEE to lose 1 lb a week no matter your age, sex, race, etc. Age only makes a difference in that your BMR is slower when you are older, but MFP takes your age into account when calculating your goal, so that can't be the issue. HOWEVER, your BMR may be lower than average for your age/weight/height.

Upping your intake may or may not be the answer, it is hard to say with the info given. But my suggestion is to follow your goal religiously for 3 more weeks (with NO cheat meals/days) and THEN start trouble shooting. Also, if you DO eat back your calories burned make sure you are being very conservative unless you are using a HRM because average estimators overestimate.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I went through this too and still do sometimes. When I was 26 I lost 20lbs in 2 months but now I am 32 it has taken me 8 months to lose 20. It is very frusterating but don't give up!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Training hard doesn't necessarily = training smart.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Check out the group on here Eat More To Weigh Less. It will show you why you need to fuel your body for those workouts!

^^ This.

14839892.png
  • Daknar
    Daknar Posts: 5
    Options
    I would be careful about eating all your workout calories back but don't feel bad about eating a bunch of them. But I would try and be at a 4-500 calorie deficit on your work out days. On those days that you don't work out make sure and keep to the calories you are tracking to. I am great during the week and then on the weekend when I am not in front of a computer I tend not to track and it kills me for at least half of the next week. I am still coming down but much slower. I just need to get some ability to shut my pie hole on the weekends and be more conservative and log on my phone. Keep it up sounds like you are starting to feel better and getting stronger. That will pay off with more lean muscle mass and a higher metabolic rate.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I had it at 1200cal. and depending on the day (how hungry I was or not), I would or would not eat back my calories burned.

How accurate are you with your food logging? This isn't meant as an insult, but the vast majority of people underestimate their caloric intake pretty substantially. Is there anything you don't log? Do you use a food scale?

How do you measure calories burned from exercise?
  • emarge
    emarge Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    WOW! What replies! Didn't expect this at all!! THANK YOU!

Just to clarify: I cry from my workouts b/c I realize how weak I am, I realize that I truly allowed myself to get this way and it's hard to accept being the weakest link when my personality is confident, always first and leading. This is a new side of me I'm seeing and realizing it all is emotional for me. I DON'T cry b/c the workouts are too hard that it's killing me. :)

I am learning to humble myself where I am, trying hard not to succumb to self-pity but rather have it make me work harder, be tougher and grow. Harder said than done!

Thanks again for advice and counsel!! I will go over my cal. intake and make necessary changes. I do eat well and I have noticed I do not crave junky stuff, or sweets. :)
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the general sentiment to make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body. Also- you mentioned you don't think your hormones are doing well. Have you been tested for insulin resistance and metabolism issues? I have had insulin resistance since I was a teenager and told I basically have zero metabolism and would need to work out 4x harder than the average person to lose weight. However, now I take metformin to control my insulin resistance and now I'm finally starting to lose weight like a normal person. I'm not an expert but that's just something I would suggest to look into based on my own experience!
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Eat your calories burned. At 1200 calories, netting out your workout, your body is only functioning on 800ish calories a day. Stop trying to lose 50lbs in 1 week. Set up your weight loss to lose max 1.5 LBS a week.

After a bit of time, once your body is no longer fighting to hold onto calories, you will drop LBS.

This 1200 calorie mark (which is not recommended) is based on calories required for the body to function at rest. Since you are active your minimum calores goes up to 1600 or 1700.

MFP does all the hard work. It will set your defecit, follow it!!! Too many ppl on this site try to rush their results and sabatoge themselves. I bet you put the weight on over an extended period of time (years even), so why are you trying to lose it all in 1 month?? Personal health/fitness is a marathon not a sprint. Putting on weight is easy, taking it off is slow and difficult (unless you are on the biggest loser ranch and have a team of experts working for you).

Set a realistic goal (maybe 5 LBS a month)... in 10 months (or less) you will have reached your ultimate goal.
  • messymutt
    messymutt Posts: 24
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. It's possible that you've lost fat and gained muscle. That will not show on a scale.

Also, you need to properly nourish your body, keep your calories consistent. If you fluctuate your caloric intake and your eating times, your body will hold onto your fat and not let you lose it.

As for losing 40 lbs after giving birth, it does have to do with hormones and breast feeding and all that. You should go to a doctor and have your hormones levels checked. Having my hormone levels regulated helped me lose weight years ago.

You also need to keep in mind that your metabolism and body have changed in the years since you had your child.

Just keep it consistent and do not get frustrated.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    An inch is huge,
    That is NOT what she said.....

I see what you did there
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yeah I hate to use the word "only" because working out for 5 weeks is an accomplishment to be proud of. But there is a quote, “It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. Give it 12 weeks. Don’t QUIT!”

So you reached the first milestone (you said you lost an inch and you feel stronger!)...press on my friend. I promise you that if you keep this going for 7 more weeks it will be really noticeable...you should need a belt (or quite possibly new pants).
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. It's possible that you've lost fat and gained muscle. That will not show on a scale.

JUST NO :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

a pound of feathers, pound of lead = it's that argument in weight form, muscle is denser.

You're welcome
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    1200 calories seems pretty low especially for working out 4x a week.....from everything I've read on here you should be eating around your BMR. Im not an expert by any means, but there are many discussions about eating more to lose. Hopefully you find a solution....good luck!

This....You probably aren't eating enough. If your workouts are as tough as they sound you've gotta make sure you're fueling your body right!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    JUST NO :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

a pound of feathers, pound of lead = it's that argument in weight form, muscle is denser.

You're welcome
    Is this going to turn into a "muscle weighs more than fat" thread? YES!!!
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    This link has great advice for eating well for weight loss.

http://body-improvements.com/2011/09/20/gremlins-pareto-food-rules-–-oh-my/

Good luck with it all, don't give up!
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I lost 8lbs first month, then gained 3 back over these last 5 weeks. Last week I upped my calories from 1200 to 1380. Working out 4-6x/week, including Spinning, jogging, Zumba, ultimate frisbee, and tough hours-long hikes. Have started weighing all food and not allowing unhealthy options even if I have enough calories left. It seems like pay day is over due. :(:sad: