another runner question :)

Options
Sorry tons of running related questions today - its in my head as Im about to hit my 12 mile week in training before tapering :)

Do you run alone or with others?

Do you map out your run before and and if so how?

-I wish I always had a running buddy to run with but unfortinately know very little runners in real life so most runs are solo. Its a bit nerve wracking as the mileage gets higher because Im farther and farther away from home, on some very empty roads or busy roads all of which as a woman running alone is scarey. Not to mention I like to chat while I run. When Im running alone I have alot of military type funny cadiences on my ipod and look like a crazy person hollering it out loud.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm a solo artist. I rarely have company on a run.

As for mapping out runs, there are tons of resources. I log my runs on www.RunningAhead.com, which has a mapping tool and there is also www.gmap-pedometer.com that does the same thing. There are many others.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I tend to map out my runs ahead of time using runkeeper. Usually I make a loop so that I end up back at home or within a mile or two (the gap is a walking cool down). My dh is training for a half marathon with me but honestly it is easiest to run alone. This way I only have to worry about my own pace.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do my short distances alone. My husband and i train together, sort of- he is a lot faster so his "slow relaxing runs" are me busting my butt! But sometimes we do a trail or run in the evening nice and slow together, talking..

For long runs, I map mine out. Use my garmin or you can use mapmyrun. Sometimes me and him will start together but he will go faster.. but at least he's nearby, if I need him.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I usually run alone with my music. I use mapmyrun.com to map out my routes, though we also have a really nice bike trail in my town that I use. When I do run on the road, I try to map a figure 8 loop around my house, so essentially I pass my house halfway through, then end up back home at the end. Allows me to not carry water on days that aren't so hot, and if I need a bathroom break it's right there for me.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I run alone, I prefer it that way, I would be unable to chat as I ran anyway and I would always be wondering if I were going too slow or too fast for the other person, it would stress me.

Regarding the route, I plan a route, but the route will be the minimum distance, sometimes, halfway through running, I decide on a whim to run further and add a bit in the middle, then when I get home, I measure it out on Gmaps Pedometer to get the exact distance and save the route to "my routes".
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I run alone, and when i try a new route i am absolutely paranoid...
    where I started was nice and busy, full of dog walkers. then that was too short and i started on a trail that was fairly abandoned. first that creeped me out, but then i got used to it and found it really weird when it got busy on a weekend....
    now i have to find yet another trail and i am wondering if i should maybe start running along a road, or just do some extra back- and fourth on the trail i am using now...
    i try maps and all, but that doesn't really tell you much about the trail, so i've decided to scout out the next one on my bike...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If by "alone" you mean you take off on your running partner then yes. I suppose I run alone. LOL! I'm fine doing 4-6 miles alone -- if he's home I let my husband know how many miles I'm going and (if he remembers I'm gone LOL) he knows how long it usually takes me and knows if I'm not back by a certain time to come look for me. Anything longer than that -- which I haven't done in YEARS mind you -- I would prefer to have someone with me. Mostly because we live in the middle of no where and I'd be a little weary of running farther alone.

I don't map out my runs as I have a few routes right where I live that are decent. I have a nice 4 mile route, a 6 mile route, and some tough extremely hilly 7-10 milers. We also have a few shorter routes that aren't on asphalt and are really tough because of the terrain.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always run alone. I like the rhythmic quietness. :) For safety, I always have my phone, a couple bucks in cash, and my ID on me. I only do long outdoors runs in the daylight...My first year in college a girl got abducted off a golf course running first thing in the morning, and that pretty much scared me off of desolate places in the early mornings or late evenings.

I also don't like keeping pace with another person- its annoying to be a little faster or slower than someone and have them stopping to wait for you or you having to wait for them.

I almost always map out my runs ahead of time, because I like variety and prefer not to get lost. Walkjogrun.net is how I've been doing it for a while, though in the past year or so I've started using runkeeper on my phone and have become less obsessed with mapping my runs for accurate mileage since the app does that for me.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I run alone, and when i try a new route i am absolutely paranoid...
    where I started was nice and busy, full of dog walkers. then that was too short and i started on a trail that was fairly abandoned. first that creeped me out, but then i got used to it and found it really weird when it got busy on a weekend....
    now i have to find yet another trail and i am wondering if i should maybe start running along a road, or just do some extra back- and fourth on the trail i am using now...
    i try maps and all, but that doesn't really tell you much about the trail, so i've decided to scout out the next one on my bike...

Ahh that's why I like Gmaps Pedometer on the net, you can view it via satellite and virtually go down to ground level.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog - I've never really liked running with other humans :-)

If you're within driving distance of a running store (like Fleet Feet or Roadrunner Sports) they often have group runs that meet at the store on certain days each week. That would be a good way to run with a group (less awkward than running with just one person) and feel a bit safer.

Also, have you checked out a running Meetup group? I'm a beginning runner so I haven't, but I've met some of the best friends I've ever had through Meetup - it's worth checking out!!!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I run alone and always carry pepper spray when I run in the early mornings. I found some at a running store that wraps around your hand so it's always ready to go.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 mile loop that is pretty typical. If I'm feeling really good I'll double back a little bit and turn it into about a 5-6 mile run.

I run with my dog, he's a great running buddy. I wouldn't mind running with someone that is a little bit more motivational though, I just feel like it would be tough to find someone that likes to run at my pace. You could maybe look into a running club?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy the solitude of running solo but I don't have the safety issues a female runner has to consider.

My family does know my running routes though. I am a little spoiled, I have rec paths close to home for my longer runs, the only hazards I need to worry about are cyclists and the occasional territorial goose.
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog - I've never really liked running with other humans :-)

If you're within driving distance of a running store (like Fleet Feet or Roadrunner Sports) they often have group runs that meet at the store on certain days each week. That would be a good way to run with a group (less awkward than running with just one person) and feel a bit safer.

Also, have you checked out a running Meetup group? I'm a beginning runner so I haven't, but I've met some of the best friends I've ever had through Meetup - it's worth checking out!!!

I am about 15 miles from a running store and they do weekly runs but Im a slower runner 1030-1130 min miles are my comfortable pace and feel like I would be left in their dust.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I run alone usually. My husband, son or daughter have come with me on occassion, but it's usually just me. I map my run out on runkeeper.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    When Im running alone I have alot of military type funny cadiences on my ipod and look like a crazy person hollering it out loud.

What exactly are the military cadences? I'm interested. Also, I frequently look like a lunatic running, particularly if I'm at the gym on a treadmill- When a song comes on that's really MY JAM, I rock out- head bopping, hands going, hips sashaying. I do everything short of belting the song out loud. I have come to believe that the people who look at me funny are just wishing they could have fun while running. I don't really care what they actually think.
  • Lucylikesrunning
    Options
    I'm a solo artist too. Wouldn't want to run with anyone. I like zoning out and listening to music and thinking about life etc. running is quite meditative for me. Weird I know!
  • Lucylikesrunning
    Options
    Oh and I have a garmin forerunner. It transformed my running when I didn't have to map out routes beforehand :happy:
  • N4monsters
    N4monsters Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I run alone and use walkjogrun.net to map my running and the distance.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    I too run alone mostly. On occasion with a friend. I too live out in the middle of no where so I try to choose routes that have more houses and more cars.

I always have a phone with me as annoying as it can be on a 12 mile run, but safety first! I listen to music in just my left ear drum so I can always hear cars coming up on my right.

I map out my runs on mapmyrun.com